On the Potomac by Dawn's Early Light

On the Potomac by Dawn's Early Light

A Story by Auxiliosophiae
"

The surprisingly true story of the first presidential interview given to a woman. (Creative Historical Nonfiction)

"

The answer had been a most indefatigable 'no'. However, one does not become a female journalist by being a woman to take 'no' for an answer; and she, Anne Royall, had certainly never been one of those women. She would speak to the President.

    And so it came about that she walked along the bank of the Potomac River in the pre-dawn grey light, shortly after five to be precise. She'd been informed of the president's habitual morning swim, quite a compromising habit at that. At length he found what she had been searching the shoreline for, a small pile of men's clothing.

    Indeed, that was the commander and chief's routine, to take a chilly and bare swim in the nearby river. A routine which would now prove most advantageous to her, less so to him.

    Without hesitation, she was not one for that either, she collected the elected leader of the country's garments. Taking the bundle to a convenient spot, close but safely clear of the water's reach, she promptly took her seat upon them and waited for the man's return.

    She did not have to wait long, her target soon appeared in the water. Nearing the shore, from the spot of his resurfacing, he noticed her. As he scanned the shore desperately for his clothes, Mr. John Quincy Adams' face flourished into a bright red. It is unknown whether his flush was one of indignation or of anger, for when he opened his mouth to make an exclamation she spoke instead.

    "Now, my dear Mr. President, I have a few questions for your consideration. And when you have been so good as to answer them for me  I would be gratefully obliged to return your clothing to you. so, shall we begin?"

Trapped, with no route of escape from his current predicament available, he relented. and so it happened that the president of these United States gave the first presidential interview to a female journalist whilst standing waist deep in the Potomac River by the dawn's early light.


© 2015 Auxiliosophiae


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Haha, how delightful! And what an ingenious woman, not to mention brave. I wasn't acquainted with this piece of history, but my curiosity has been piqued and I shall do a follow-up on the subject:). You have portrayed Anne Royal in such an interesting manner that the reader feels instantly compelled to want to know her better. I'm sure that she would have quite the stories to tell :)


Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 8, 2015
Last Updated on June 8, 2015
Tags: president

Author

Auxiliosophiae
Auxiliosophiae

About
I write a lot of foreign and historical fiction. I try to put in as much research as I can on the period and region, but if anything is incorrect tell me and I'll fix it. more..

Writing
Smoke Smoke

A Poem by Auxiliosophiae