Charitable Zealot

Charitable Zealot

A Poem by Blake Q Hatfield
"

I saw a plaque, the shape of an "L", imbedded in the sidewalk that said "Space Not Yet Dedicated," a few years back, and then I wrote about it, read the notes for more...

"

I paided to build it
I bought the walls
Look at all that I have done


(Spaces Between These Lines Not Yet Dedicated)


I saved the children
Name the place after me
I was the one who made it possible
I was the one who let you live instead of die


(Spaces Between These Lines Not Yet Dedicated)


All it took was just seventy cents a day
My name on TV because I helped in some way
Won't you reguard me as a hero
For saving that little third world girl


(Spaces Between These Lines Not Yet Dedicated)


I did it all for you to see
I wanted to look better than I was
PR and press makes you impressed
So I'll make sure, that after all I've endured
The spaces between these lines are dedicated

© 2008 Blake Q Hatfield


Author's Note

Blake Q Hatfield
I have nothing wrong with giving or being charitable. I think it is a great thing to give of what you have to others. I just think that the lengths that we go to now to be reconized for it is a bit much. Do you really need a window seal or a block of concrete on the ground to be dedicated to you? It seems more and more we're obsessed with having something tagged with an annoucement of our charity. We should do the good we do for the reward of the feeling of doing good. It seems that some people join causes because they are more so an accesory like a watch or bag. I guess I'd like to completely believe that people were more genuine when they do the good they do. I could go on and on, but I'll spare everyone a long rant. Feel free to discuss, leave feedback, debate, etc.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

couldn't agree more with your note...it's something i've noticed myself. thanks for sharing this poem, and i hope it inspires many to aid those less fortunate and to forget the accolades and praise that may come with it and just be humble...thanks again!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 19, 2008

Author

Blake Q Hatfield
Blake Q Hatfield

Philadelphia, PA



About
I began writing back in '94 and I've been in love with it ever since. Music has a big influence on how I write, and what topics I choose to write about. I like to write a clever piece every now and th.. more..

Writing