I Hate People

I Hate People

A Story by Cree Nations

I hate people…Especially healthy people.

I hate the happy days,

And all those simple ways.

I hate the mornings

That have no end.

I hate the night

Waiting for the next day to begin.

I hate smiles

When all the while

They hide me.

I hate meetings

And I hate any higher power

That usually last for only an hour.

I hate anyone who works a program.

Turn the corner and look for me

I wait for you in darkness and greed

Because I hate people who fight their need.

Give me a chance and I’ll take care of you

And grant you peace.

Allow me now to introduce myself.  I am the disease of addiction.  I am cunning and baffling and full of power that last much longer than just an hour.  Yes that’s me, and I am here to please.  My work is easy and I do it well.  I’ve killed millions and hunt for millions more, for some I’ll catch them by surprise.  Oh how I love pretending to be your friend and your lover.  I have given you comfort, haven’t I?  Wasn’t I there when you were lonely?  Each and every time you needed me �" didn’t I come and give you what you craved?  When others left you alone and scared didn’t I come and be with you?  Don’t you remember when you wanted to die, and you called to me I came to you and gave you the strength to fight the dark?  Oh yes indeed I was there.  I love to make you hurt, I love to make you cry, oh and better yet I love when I make you numb, so numb that you can neither hurt or cry.  When you can’t feel anything at all that is when I feel true glory.  I give you instant gratification and all I ask of you is your long time suffering.  I’ve been there for you always.  When things were going right in your life, you invited me in saying you didn’t deserve the good things and I agreed.  Together we were powerful and able to destroy all the good things in your life.

As strong and powerful as I am people don’t take me seriously.  Oh they take strokes seriously, and heart attacks, and depression, and robberies, and murder oh yes they take these things seriously.  Fools, fools that’s what they are.  They don’t realize how often I help those things, I help create them and without me �" well that would be the real crime.

I am such a hated disease, and yet I do not come in uninvited.  You choose to have me, so many have chosen me over reality and peace…and it pleases me to be such a welcome guest.  But more than you hate me I hate all of you who work a program. 

I hate people…

Especially healthy people.

Your programs and your meetings and

Your Higher Power

They weaken me…

And then I can’t function in

The manner I’ve grown accustomed to.

Please please bring back the greed

And allow in so I can feed.

Now I wait here quietly…

And though you can no longer see me

I am here growing stronger

And more powerful than ever.

When you only exist

I can live freely.

But when you live

I can only exist.

But I am here and until we meet again,

I wish you death and suffering.

© 2012 Cree Nations


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a unique and thought provoking way to demonstrate the sad failings of falling into an addiction. Sad, because as the narrator so deftly and truly states, "When you only exist, I can live freely. But when you live, I can only exist"...there's are great amount of truth hidden in these four lines. A great amount indeed!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cree Nations

11 Years Ago

Thanks' Dean. And there is hard earned wisdom behind these words.
Dean Kuch®

11 Years Ago

Sure,you bet. Anytime...



Reviews

Excellent writing. Clear, direct, and a format that casts addiction in a different, personified light.
I meaningful write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Cree Nations

11 Years Ago

Thanks roarke....it was not an easy write. I wanted to have something to present to about 500 women.. read more
Love it!! Very creative way to reach people. I've fought many addictions. I also love that you are Conservative. After years traveling the Country..in and out of clinics, jails and prisons.life has forced me to see things differently also. During the Bohemian era I rode the boxcars back in the pre-hippie days. I buried most of my writings along the way. I think you show great talent with this Piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Cree Nations

11 Years Ago

Thanks Rain...life makes us. At the end of the day it is vital that I like me. Of course there we.. read more
Well addiction fills some need in the human soul I cant say i understand it But for millions of years these substances have developed with purpous of propagation of the species.Yet we seem to enhance their effects somewhat .Perhaps if our society wasn't based solely on monetary gain of assets It might produce enough satisfaction for people to love themselves and their lives.It is a constant test of comparisons of assets.There is no satisfaction in that No answer to the question When is enough .Nothing of substance leaves us with nothing of life

Posted 11 Years Ago


Cree Nations

11 Years Ago

Well said Tate. When it is a known fact that it is not about the chemicals, substances, and/or alch.. read more
Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

I thank you for that
Unquie and a raw format, a very intresting read that sticks out from the WC norm. I love the long paragraph directly in the middle, it really makes the whole poem feel like an epic peiece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cree Nations

11 Years Ago

Thank you for taking not only the time to read this but to leave a review.
Powerful and the message clear..interesting to read the thoughts of addiction...

Posted 11 Years Ago


The point is we are willing to grow along spiritual lines.

This is an astonishing write. Written in the blood of your tears.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Cree Nations

11 Years Ago

Thank you Rusty. I have been an Addictions Counselor for 14 years, 8 of which was in the Texas pris.. read more
It must have been difficult to write this purely based on the subject matter. That being said, very well done. I like the personification of substance abuse, and the evil projected by that 'character'. The move from verse to prose then back again is refreshingly unique.
Overall, a tough read that demands and holds one's attention..Kudos

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was really dark! I had no idea that you were talking about an addiction. Well I should've thought so. Really good.

Posted 11 Years Ago


What a unique and thought provoking way to demonstrate the sad failings of falling into an addiction. Sad, because as the narrator so deftly and truly states, "When you only exist, I can live freely. But when you live, I can only exist"...there's are great amount of truth hidden in these four lines. A great amount indeed!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cree Nations

11 Years Ago

Thanks' Dean. And there is hard earned wisdom behind these words.
Dean Kuch®

11 Years Ago

Sure,you bet. Anytime...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

597 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 22, 2012
Last Updated on July 22, 2012

Author

Cree Nations
Cree Nations

Houston, TX



About
Hello, Where to start? I always have trouble with this part for some reason. Texan that's me. Religiously speaking I don't fall into any denomination. I believe in God and have the highest regard for .. more..

Writing
Dignity Dignity

A Poem by Cree Nations



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..