A Midnight Interlude

A Midnight Interlude

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

Mystery of the night through the eyes of a child

"

 

 

It was well past my bedtime. A glass of milk from the kitchen and a soft melody from Nana was required. She stoked the fire and warmed her feet before we looked out the log cabin window overlooking the pond.

 

The moon seemed to take up the entire hillside and illuminated every blade of grass. Around the pond was a light coating of frost, which suddenly appeared as the fog danced with the restless wind. The midnight song of the Barred Owl began he was accompanied by a faint chorus sung by a lone dove and a water loon. A dainty little field mouse moved in closer to hear the song better, but she was very careful not to be seen. She did not wish to be the cause for a quick snack during the midnight interlude.

 

The song went on well into the night, a mouse and a family of possum’s lost interest and went home. The song might have lasted till daybreak, but a cranky bass tired of the noise broke straight into the air. The owl offended by the disturbance flew away his wings making a loud swoosh. A small rabbit hopped from his den to see what the ruckus was all about he too did not wish to be a snack, so he returned to his den.

 

The true beauty of the Indigo Blue Bunting was spot lighted by the vivid lighting of the moon. The male took flight hovering close to the earth as he maneuvered with grace over the field. The moon and the fog created a silvery hue that highlighted his beauty. A doe tired from grazing all night bedded down for a little nap. The moon swung from its former perch on the hillside to across the pond, settling ever lower, as if he too was going in his den for a rest. Before we thought another moment of his decent, the suns warm glow filled the eastern sky and a cardinal began her morning song bringing the day to wake.


 

© 2011 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
any comments are welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

This made me feel all warm and toasty inside..
A wonderful read Cherrie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


You really know how to set the mood. What a wonderfully visual story. I like that the voice gives human qualities to the woodland creatures. I often wonder if other creatures wonder as we wonder about our earthly brethren. Does a mouse care about the beauty in an owls call or is it simply a warning to stay hidden? I enjoyed that it found beauty in the call of it's nemesis, it's predator. Lush visuals and pleasantly serene setting. p.s. the moon has always been a woman to me :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Just a simple gaze out a window, yes? Hardly so, as you turned it all into a wonderful show, full of drama and color. Technically, I think this is some of your best writing, Cherrie. A little more attention to punctuation is needed, but it's very easy and enjoyable to read as is.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very rich description of the night. You give it all life.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I could sense the beautiful mystery of the world alive at night. How I love walking through a meadow after dark. You make it all come alive!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love those nights where the moon is full and the world is gilded in a silver light...where the trees all cast a shadow at night and the world has an eerie glow...you capture that imagery so well...How ironic that your piece is a reflection of a poem I wrote earlier...not the same...but similar elements...I'll post it if you wish to read it...you can almost the moon rise large and cross the night sky and fade into the brightening dawn as the sun rises...kind of makes you wish you didn't sleep through it all...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 16, 2009
Last Updated on September 14, 2011
Tags: nature_ fiction_childhood
Previous Versions

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..