"The Lost Empire IV: The Flea Market"

"The Lost Empire IV: The Flea Market"

A Story by Cody Williams
"

James continues to look for answers on how to return to the lost empire as the man in black continues to stalk him.

"

“The Flea Market: A Lost Empire Story”

By Cody Williams

 

1.

James continued down the red dirt road past a sign reading WELCOME TO AVON. Avon was a really small town. The maximum population count was 40. In the center of the town was The Avon Flea Market. Woods and several houses surrounded the edges of the town. James walk down the gravel road towards the main drag going through the center of the town.

“Halt! Who goes there?” said a man stepping out from behind a tall tree. The man was holding a silver sword up to James’ throat. He was wearing armor much like that of James. The man lifted his visor up revealing his face. The man was older with wrinkles covering his face. Also covering his face was a long grey beard. James took a step back holding up his hands. “Who goes there I ask?” The man shouted as he started to get quite testy.

“My name is James Thomas good sir! I am the head knight of King Adams of Dillon.” James said removing his helmet as a sign of respect. The man pulled the sword away from James and slid it back into his quiver.

“My apologies Sir Thomas.” The man said confused. “The name is Ralph Lenard. I am the head knight to King Yeller of Avon.” Ralph said saluting James. “Pardon me good sir, but where exactly is Dillon? And who exactly is King Adams? I am afraid I have never heard of either of them before.” Ralph asked confused again. James thought for a moment. He knew if he told him that he fell from the sky he would be arrested for committing witchcraft. He continued to think for several moments. James looked back up to Ralph.

“I got lost good sir. I don’t know exactly where I am.” James said trying to be careful exactly how he said it. “I came to Avon to try to find some answers. Do you know someone who can help me?” James asked Ralph. Ralph thought for a moment and then looked down at James.

“Maybe someone in the Flea Market can help you!” Ralph said pointing towards downtown.

“Thank you good sir!” James said bowing down to Ralph. James and Ralph shook hands and James left for the Flea Market. Coming out from behind the trees was the man in black.

“Halt! Who goes there?” Ralph said to the man in black holding his sword to the back of his head. The man in black slowly turned to face him. He stared at Ralph in the eyes. “Who goes there? What is your busyness? Answer me now!” Ralph said getting frustrated. The man in black remained in silence staring down Ralph. His eyes began to glow a tomato red color. Ralph dropped his sword to the ground and began to tremble with fear.

The man in black raised his left hand. A bright blue ball began to appear from mid air in the palm of his hand.

“Look into the ball. Stare into it!” The man in black said to Ralph. Ralph stared into the blue ball becoming memorized by what he saw in the ball. His heartbeat began to slow as his body began to turn hard as if he had fallen into a mixture of cement. Ralph’s body turned into grey stone. The man in black lifted back his arm and threw it into the stone that was Ralph. The stone shattered into endless pieces and fell onto the ground. The man in black turned around and walked into the town of Avon leaving behind nothing but rubble of the man once known as Ralph.

 

2.

            James continued walking the gravel road running down the center of the Avon. He reached a white sign with red letters reading THE AVON FLEA MARKET. He walked into the first station set up where sat a heavyset woman surrounding herself with vegetables.

            “Can I help you?” The woman asked him. The woman was wearing a long blue jean dress and a bonnet on her head. She had a thin mustache above her lip. James took off his helmet.

            “Yes. My name is James Thomas, head knight of King Adams of Dillon. I have no idea where I am.” James said to her. The woman looked at him for a moment and then turned her attention back to her costumers.

            “Try Madam Wilkes. She’s the last table on the right.” The woman said grabbing money from her costumers. James bowed to her and walked away from the station.

            The man in black reached the sign reading AVON FLEA MARKET. He walked passed it and to the same station with the heavyset woman.

            “Can I help you sir?” The woman asked him. The man in black reached down and picked up a tomato. The tomato began turning black and rotting out before their eyes. He set the tomato back down and reached over and grabbed the woman by the hand. His eyes began glowing red again. The woman’s mouth drubbed open with shock. He kissed her on the hand.

            “A plague on your house my dear.” The man in black said to the woman as he walked away. The woman looked at her hand. Her hands began to instantly turn a sick black color. She heard a scream behind her. She turned around to notice that all of her goods were now covered with fleas.

 

3.

            James reached the end of the Flea Market where set a tent to his right. Above the tent read MADAM WILKES. He walked into the tent and over to Madam Wilkes. He sad down in a wooden chair across from her.

            “I know why you are here!” Madam Wilkes informed James. She was wearing a long purple robe. She had short white hair and looked as if she was 100 years old.

            “Why am I here?” James asked her curiously.

            “James, you are here because you are looking for something. You are looking to return home to Dillon. You are looking for the lost empire.” Madam Wilkes said. James sat up in his chair.

            “How do you know my name? How do you know any of that?” James asked curiously. Madam Wilkes giggled for a moment.

            “Because I know all! I see all!” Madam Wilkes said to him.

            “Okay, since you know all, can you tell me how I’m going to get home?” James asked her. She giggled again.

            “Dear boy, you misunderstand. You can’t just go home yet! The journey is only just beginning for you dear boy.” She said to him. James stood up and walked to the edge of the tent. He turned back around to face the old woman.

            “I see you’re not going to tell me anything useful. I bid you good day!” James said as he walked out of the tent. The woman began laughing again.

            “Beware of the man in black dear boy! Beware of the man in black.” She said smiling. James walked out of the flea market and out of the town of Avon.

            The man in black then walked into the tent of Madam Wilkes.

“I knew you were here!” The woman said with her back facing him. She turned around to face him.

“Hello Jena!” The man in black said to Madam Wilkes with an evil grin on his face.

“I know why you’re here. You can’t beat him. You two will battle and you will lose.” Madam Wilkes told him.

“That’s what you thing you old b***h. But I will be the one to get the last laugh! I will taste victory! I will be crowned ruler!” The man in black said to her. He turned his back from her and left the tent. He too walked out of the Flea Market and out of the town Avon following James. The quest for the Lost Empire continues.


Copyright 2013 by Cody Williams

Courtesy of The Enchanted Press

A division of TTP Entertainment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 
RBOO-ZXAS-E4LG-CU0N

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected </p><p class=PEDZ-2KNN-H3SR-WOUM" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 

PEDZ-2KNN-H3SR-WOUM" width="150" height="40" src="http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2013 Cody Williams


Author's Note

Cody Williams
Another Lost Empire story. This is where the series began to take off for me. This needs to be read after the last three! It is not a stand alone story so if you don't read the other ones, you probably won't understand it! Stay tuned for future installments! Please leave comments and tell me what you think!

-CW

Other 'Lost Empire' Stories
1. "The Lost Empire I: The Twister" (http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Cody_Williams/1231055/)

2. "The Lost Empire II: The Man In Black" (http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Cody_Williams/1237503/)

3. "The Lost Empire III: The Road To Avon" (http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Cody_Williams/1273412/)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The rage of knights ... believers in the cause ... comes across clearly ... especially where that might relate to Avalon and its promises ... today a place of fleas ... like an unkept dog. A new vision ... hands the initiative ... to James ... while the black man ... follows him closely ... keen to revive a lost cause ... that included the knights of old ... and Ralph.

Interesting! I'd like to see where its going.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Dayran! More still to come! Stay tuned!

-CW



Reviews

this is such a great addition to your stories!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for your kindness! There's more on the way! Stay tuned!

-CW
Rosaria_V

10 Years Ago

yaaaaay!!!!
I'm hooked, Kiddo...as I knew I would be.
I love, love, love LOVE the way this adventure is coming along, and I can't wait to read the next installment.
Keep 'em coming!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks again for your kind words Angel! I'll have the next one up asap! Stay tuned!

-CW
Angel

10 Years Ago

I'm waiting...
The story's really starting to pick up! Can't wait for more!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The rage of knights ... believers in the cause ... comes across clearly ... especially where that might relate to Avalon and its promises ... today a place of fleas ... like an unkept dog. A new vision ... hands the initiative ... to James ... while the black man ... follows him closely ... keen to revive a lost cause ... that included the knights of old ... and Ralph.

Interesting! I'd like to see where its going.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Dayran! More still to come! Stay tuned!

-CW
I like to take more time which I don't have to read your wonderful stories . I like very very short ones but yours are very suspensful and imaginative that makes them not boring ...Other than the cussing in them ( your choice ) I like all other aspects...:)......................

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read them Sami! Have a good one!

-CW
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You too...Welcome always...:)...............

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

440 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 28, 2013
Last Updated on November 28, 2013
Tags: fantasy, science fiction, Cody Williams, knight, medieval, horror

Author

Cody Williams
Cody Williams

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am in my second year at Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tennessee were I major in instrumental music education and minor in English. My passions include playing the trombone/euphonium an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


"Voices" "Voices"

A Story by Cody Williams