Responsibilities of an Efficient Team Leader

Responsibilities of an Efficient Team Leader

A Story by Dalia Derrick


Leading a team takes a lot of responsibility. You must manage team resources, resolve conflict and keep team members focused and motivated. This article offers some tips on how to accomplish all these tasks.


As team leader, your main role is to manage your team and make sure it is as productive and effective as possible. However, there are many other things you must take care of. Establishing an open line of communication between team members, resolving conflict and adapting to last-minute changes are only a few of the responsibilities you will have to take on.


Developing leadership skills takes time and practice. Nonetheless, we’ve gathered some tips that will help you improve employee performance and build a strong and motivated team.


Lead by example



The most important thing you have to do as a team leader is to lead by example. If you demonstrate a strong work ethic, your subordinates will follow. Consider everyone’s ideas as valuable, be clear when communicating and timely solve all your tasks. You must inspire enthusiasm by being passionate about the goals of your team and your organization.


Set clear goals



In order to be productive, your team must know what they are working towards. Set clear and attainable goals for your team, but also for each member individually. Reassess periodically. Hold regular meetings to track the progress and make sure you are all on track.


Provide resources



Make sure your team members have everything they need to do their job effectively. Hardware, software, equipment, offices " as a leader, you must provide them with everything necessary, as long as it’s a legitimate request.


Motivate team members



Keeping team members motivated can be challenging. Be sensitive to your subordinates’ moods and feelings, but set them straight if they try to take advantage of your empathy. Encourage them to share information, speak up whenever necessary and brainstorm. By keeping an open line of communication, creating a safe environment and valuing their ideas, you make them feel appreciated. Thus, they will feel more motivated to accomplish the team’s objectives.  


Be prepared  



When taking on a new project, evaluate anything that can go wrong with it. Develop a risk management plan to make sure your team will be prepared to handle any difficulties they might face. Think about what would happen if one of your team members suddenly becomes unavailable. Or, if a key piece of equipment you need unexpectedly breaks down. Carefully consider your team’s options and develop a detailed contingency plan.


Resolve conflict



Conflict is often unavoidable between members of a team. When it happens, you must help employees reach a satisfying compromise. Consider their points of view, treat them with respect and help them negotiate to reach an agreement. Ignoring a tense situation will make it worse. 


Effective teams have clear performance goals and learn how to compromise. As a team leader, you must encourage trust and cooperation among employees on your team. Keep in mind that competent leaders build their relationships with subordinates on loyalty and trust " they don’t have to resort to fear and manipulation.

© 2013 Dalia Derrick


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7998 Views
Added on December 17, 2013
Last Updated on December 17, 2013
Tags: Efficient Team Leader, Team Leader, team members, manage team resources, resolve conflict, leadership skills, leadership

Author

Dalia Derrick
Dalia Derrick

KS



About
Dalia Derrick is a 27-year old freelance graphic designer currently living in Kansas. She sometimes blogs about current events, education and real-estate. Proud dog owner. more..

Writing