Unified

Unified

A Story by Daniel Seward
"

There is a scientific explanation for being open and accepting towards diverse beings whether they are human or not.

"

               Unified


Multiculturalism, being accepting and loving, being open minded and nonjudgmental.  These are generally considered cultural and religious values that have risen from various historical sources, whether from Jesus or Socrates.

But do we live in a universe where these values have some objective validity or are they dependent on the mind?


Science usually explains what and how.  Could it be used to prove a vision of the unified whole perspective?


I am going to argue here that it can.  If we look at the way nature (the ecosystem) and our society are organized, we see a whole that is dependent on numerous, variant parts.  Take for example an ecosystem.  The general health of a jungle or forest or sea bed is based on the balancing of many different species eking out their existences in narrow niches.  On the level of the creatures, there is strife and contradiction as each being seeks their goal of survival.  However, when we look at the system as a whole we see that the predators are culling defective individuals, bacteria are breaking down dead debris into fertilizer and species are hosting each other such as algae and fungi in lichens.


A similar situation occurs with our society.  A truck driver isn't too intellectual but he works hard to get products to sellers.  If he were intellectual he would not drive trucks he would teach or write and fulfill a whole other role that is needed in our society.  Some people are worldly and take action in jobs that demand action such as soldiering or running for congress.  Some people are contemplative and go into the priesthood.  Some people are creative. Some are organizers.  Some go into business for themselves and invent new markets and others facilitate the business of the establishment.


The reason these systems work so well is because there are diverse groups and individuals fulfilling an important role that helps the whole.


So the question is:  should we keep the narrow perspective of our role or should we adopt the view of the whole?


Notice that the system still works if everyone keeps their narrow perspective.  I argue though that everything works better if we adopt the holistic approach.  First of all, we will be less at odds with conflictive views if we accept that they serve a whole.  Secondly, we will more likely serve the whole instead of ourselves and thereby facilitate overall harmony and health of the system, which by the way is the purpose of the individual, narrow perspectives in the first place.


So what's wrong with being selfish?


Nothing really.  It's just that with a little creativity and effort it might be possible to create win-win situations for all beings through negotiation and planning.

© 2017 Daniel Seward


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well said. Personally, I think everyone should learn to compromise and understand, rather than blindfold themselves. If everyone strived to understand one another, and how the human mind really works, I think there'd be a lot less hatred and hostility in the world. People could open their minds, and come to the realization everyone has a life, everyone has a story, and everyone has a purpose. Fair treatment, cooperation and just plain, simple comprehension would make this world function far better than it does.

Most would argue that though, mostly because of their own ignorance. Ignorance is the biggest enemy any of us have. It's blinding and ruthless. I digress though.

Thank you for sharing this. It was pleasant to read. And I hope my small rant wasn't too bothersome.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 26, 2017
Last Updated on May 26, 2017
Tags: Science, multiculturalism, acceptance

Author

Daniel Seward
Daniel Seward

Grand Rapids, MN



About
I like nature, running, classical music, and I read everything. I have been writing a variety of genres over the years and was hoping I could get reviewed/read by interested parties. Most of my stuf.. more..

Writing