Dancing In The Dark

Dancing In The Dark

A Poem by Summer D.
"

What a clever scheme it was. What a flawed plan it be. To dance in the dark, free from prying eyes and judgmental thoughts. Free to seek whomever we be, in the cover of night.

"

Dancing In The Dark 


A penny for your most priceless thoughts, a stick for your fleeting attention, a song for your woeful heart.


A kiss in the rain, a walk in the clouds, a waltz  to an unfamiliar song in a crowd of  faceless strangers.


They all seem so trivial now.


Your hands in mine, fit into the curves and grooves of my withered ones, as we sway left and right to the shallow drop and rise of our breaths.


 A mingling of mint and a dash of strawberry that disperse without our consent.


Oh, let them be, those frivolous things. 


What a clever scheme it was. What a flawed plan it be. Oh, how wicked I must seem.

 

To dance in the dark, free from prying eyes and judgmental thoughts, free to seek whomever we long, whomever we be. 


All in the elegant guise of Lady Night, that seducing sight.


The heart is a petty thing, batting for lost affections, sorrowful explanations, surreal endings.


It chides me now, against my foolish longings.  


Yet, I know better then this accursed contraption for what I should’ve commanded, it’s ever so daunting.


Through the thick air, through the frigid night, the sharp blade of wonder presses into my tender skin.


 As I struggle to recall the memory of your rough lips seeking mine- as blind as a bat, you were guided to me.


My breath held, spanning from seconds to minutes, as you leaned forward hesitantly- our bodies a tangle of limbs and puerile affections. 


I know now, what I should’ve commanded.


To allow the rays and blinding light of the sun, to be so crudely blackened out. 


The pure and the happiness, to be wrenched away viciously, as if to cease the suckling of an innocent babe from the mothers bossom.


To bend the will of all that is right, to my selfish impulses, to bestow upon me my darkest of hungers.


If it granted me those precious moments for that forbidden delight, I would take whatever lash there was to be, whatever fate was meant to see.


It flooded the room, your tainted heart, as your darkened eyes met the most unbecoming of sights.


Eyes, not blue as the gentle ocean waters. Hair, not a lush pink as the fields you wander. Skin, not a creamy slather of your shadowy, porcelain lover.


How I craved for those mere seconds. How I bled for that mere light.  I must confess to my sole weakness. 


My mind alights with the hanging air of uncertainty, it thrills me, rattling my very bones. 


Tell me, my love, can you fathom the possibilities?


Aye, for it was me, your distant admirer that hankered after your unconditional affections and vied for pieces of your shattered soul. 


Desperate, unwanted, and shamelessly so- I compete against your fanciful mistress.


For it was me, you saw in a flurry of robes and tattered rags, a child of the dark and rightfully so.


It is moments like these, I tear at my chest, shouting at the open sky a stream of the foulest of foul wielded against the chuckling angel.


It is moments like these I wish for it to stop beating.


It is moments like these, I whisper to my only comfort, to my sole companion, as I reach for my short-lived memories.


"A most unbecoming sight, indeed."



Summer D.

Otherwise Known As: Aisha_U

© 2012 Summer D.


Author's Note

Summer D.
Cheers for poems nobody understands, right?
We've all got some of those.
Those are my favorite.
They leave room for the mind to wander.

:P Interesting, is it not?

Dancing in the Dark.
:) Praise to Teralyn's most recent poem, " Shaky ", for pushing me to crank this out.

Took me less than an hour.
it is another, to add to my growing heartaches~

YT,

Summer

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Mysterious poem. Honestly, I had a hard time understanding it...but then it left me wondering what you were trying to say. I read it over three times, and each time I got a different mental image; a sharper more clearer one. Not really my cup of tea, but you know, it was different. It's unique and left me thinking.

And great imagery :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It was written long a ago "to be or not to be" and this write seems to play upon that notion with an added puzzle of "to be that which is not to be." Whether this be Hamlet or the one who says, "It chides me now, against my foolish longings." the idea rides upon the same set of tracks... To Be That Which Is Not... And The Abomination That Ensues... brilliantly said trail of sentiments here! Thanks for pointing this out. Very insightful :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Seconds what Amrah said. So mysterious. I still can't understand it. Your imagery is oh so great, and seriously the words you use just add to the mystery. Its like your spinning a silky thread into intricate patterns. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


love how it make you ponder
great write

Posted 12 Years Ago


prose can be as erratic as needed to portray that same entity.. surreal as needed to portray the unprotrayable.. I like your word strings and flow of the meter...as long as prose makes us reading it feel things..emotions.... remember people or circumstances ... the nit is doing its set purpose.. don't you think?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

These kinds of poem i actually love, I'm always writing something i would never be able to explain! :] i find it exciting attempting to decode these types of pieces!
very intriguing arent they? the kinds of poems that you'll stay up hours that night still wondering what exactly it meant. it was flying all over the place, but i caught some of your words and they were vivid, beautiful, and meaningful. so, basically lots packed into this jumbled up poem of nonsense. i did catch bits and pieces here and there!
very much enjoyed, please write another confusing piece again!:D

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Summer, You do something very well in all of your writings that I have a hard time doing: You take something relatively small (a thought, a glimpse, an emotion, an idea, a moment, a sensation, etc.) and make poetry out of it. You are able to capture that moment and present it to readers fully realized.

Even though you specified that you wanted this poem to be vauge, at times it was a bit too vague and made me wander a bit, so maybe make it a little more straightforward (?).

Since I prefer writing that is highly structured, has a complex plot, and a lot of forward movement, this was definitely something that was out of my comfort zone. But I shall give you the cookies you deserve. *applauds*

-Kedren/Katy/Kim/Saphira/etc.

BTW: Your title really caught my attention. Did you know that is also the title of a song by Bruce Springsteen? And that he is one of my favorite rock musicians? :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I adored the phrasing and formating of this, the words were deliciously easy to read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mysterious poem. Honestly, I had a hard time understanding it...but then it left me wondering what you were trying to say. I read it over three times, and each time I got a different mental image; a sharper more clearer one. Not really my cup of tea, but you know, it was different. It's unique and left me thinking.

And great imagery :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

386 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 30, 2011
Last Updated on January 31, 2012
Tags: dancing, dark, flawed, wish, heart, love, pink, ocean

Author

Summer D.
Summer D.

Deep Within My Thoughts, CA



About
I am here. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


MYNA MYNA

A Poem by ~Dragon X


Bright Star Bright Star

A Chapter by A. L. Allen


Who am I? Who am I?

A Chapter by A. L. Allen