The Fall of DICE - Full Play

The Fall of DICE - Full Play

A Stage Play by Nyssa Nyx
"

The full script for my one-act, submitted for a contest on this site ^_^

"
THE FALL OF DICE

A Play in One Act

By TAK


© 2015 by TAK


About:


CHARACTERS

PANDORA - Tough and independent. Leader and Founder of DICE.

ISABELLE - Loyal and lonely. She is a spy working for the PRESIDENT.

PRESIDENT - Stern and gruff. Is referred to as the “Tyrant” by DICE members.

DORIAN - A bit flippant. Leader of the Defensive/Offensive Department of DICE.

ION - Spoiled and somewhat dramatic. Leader of the Persuasion Department for DICE.

CLEON - Intelligent and arrogant. Leader of the Intelligence Department of DICE.

ELIAS - Placid with soft eyes and smile. Leader of the Charting Department of DICE.

CLAYTON - Energetic and positive. CLEON’s younger brother and lookout for missions.

OCELOT - A silent assassin. Partner of DORIAN.

ASSISTANT - The PRESIDENT’s personal assistant. Always carries a clipboard and wear  an earpiece. Can be male or female.

TEACHER - Kindly elementary school teacher. Can be male or female.

Y PANDORA

Y DORIAN

Y ION

Y ESTHYR

11 OTHER ELEMENTARY STUDENTS

Several DICE MEMBERS

3 PATROLS/Several PATROLS (For Scene 7)

Optional GUITARIST and DRUMMER



SETTING

Events take place in an Elementary School classroom, Pandora’s Flower Shop, the Rebel’s Base, the President’s Office, Rebel Alley, and a Concert.

School Classroom - Inside its walls are twenty chairs in straight, centered rows, full of bright eyed students watching the teacher eagerly. An electronic clock is on the back wall and miscellaneous poster line all three walls. There is a desk and podium in DR, and a “smartboard” is in the direction of the audience.

Florist Shop - It is a small, white,  house-like frame with a shingled roof. There is a foot-high step at the bottom, and the lower “wall” Should be tall enough to hide behind. There are three shelves Pandora fills with miscellaneous flower arrangements, with an empty space in the center of the second shelf.

Rebels’ Base - The background should look somewhat natural, as if someone had carved the area out of dirt. Protruding from it is a sort of hip-high step of “dirt” packed together. There are a few walkie talkies and spray paint cans lying about. There are also three chairs scattered around. A rusted train track is laying in front of the set.

Rebel Alley - The wall is an ordinary wall of a ghetto. It’s covered in graffiti in backwards members’ names, DICE, and a large main painting of the group logo and catchphrase in progress. Paint items are scattered everywhere and there is a camera in the top right corner with paint on the lense, as well as a hawk body painted around it. The set should be sturdy and have a set of stairs leading to a platform on the top of it. Rails on the platform are optional.

Presidential Office - Should look somewhat like a realistic presidential office. Back windows are optional.

The Concert - All props and backdrops should be cleared, save two black walls at upstage and center stage. At the sides of the stage, there should be colored lights (Pink, yellow, green, etc.) to add to the atmosphere. A band in the background is optional. At this point, there should be a seat reserved for the PRESIDENT. A chair next to a row of seats close to the stage would work fine.


TIME

A futuristic, pre-dystopian society


SCENES

Scene 1 An elementary Classroom              The Prologue
Scene 2 The Rebel’s Base            Early Morning
Scene 3 An Alleyway in the Ghetto           Midday
Scene 4 The President’s Office             The Next Day
Scene 5 A Concert            A Month Later
Scene 6 The Rebel’s Base              7 Years Later
Scene 7 The President’s Office          One Hour Later




ACT I

SCENE 1

(PANDORA enters and stands DC in front of a drawn curtain. Her fingers are interlocked)

PANDORA
Good evening, all.

(“Evening” can be interchanged for the current time of day the play is performed)

As you all should know, my name is Pandora, leader of the rebellion known as DICE. You may be curious to know how a sixteen-year old came to lead a rebellion. Our story begins here.

(PANDORA steps to the side)

(The curtains open to reveal a small elementary school classroom. The TEACHER is writing on the “smartboard”)

TEACHER

(Setting down the “smartboard” pen and standing at the podium)
Now class, I would like to take the remainder of the hour to talk about our dreams. Take a moment and about would you would like to be in the future.

(The STUDENTS think)

PANDORA

It wasn’t a hard decision for me. Ever since I was little, I was fascinated by politics.

TEACHER
Have something in mind?

(The STUDENTS nod)

Alright, let’s begin with the first row. Dorian? What would you like to be when you grow up?

Y DORIAN

I wanna be a soccer superstar!
(Pretends to kick a ball, then punches the air)

TEACHER

What an excellent dream! Work hard and you will excel at sports!
(Turns to Y ION)
And what about you, Ion?

Y ION

(Puts hands in lap)
I wanna be an idol!

TEACHER

(Smiles)
Oh, and you’re such a wonderful singer already! A dream not so far out of reach.

(Y ION smiles. The TEACHER continues down the rows as PANDORA speaks)

PANDORA

My friends had pretty big dreams, but they were attainable. I never realized how impossible my own dream was.

TEACHER

A-ah...interesting dream...
(Scratches ear and looks away with uncertainty)
Um...Esthyr!
(Clasps hands together)
What would you like to be?

Y ESTHYR

A housewife!

Y BOY

That’s stupid!

Y ESTHYR

Is not!

Y BOY

Is to! Why don’t you do something cool, like wrestler, or garbage man! You can drive a big truck!
(Pretends to drive)

Y ESTHYR

Ew! No!
(Sticks tongue out)

(The Y BOY does so as well)

TEACHER

(With hesitation)
Pandora! You look like you have great ambitions. What would you like to be when you grow up?

Y PANDORA

(Enthusiastically)
I wanna be the president! I wanna make all the rules, and make lunches tasty, and give us more vacations!
(Children begin excited chatter)

TEACHER

(Carefully)
O-Oh...I’m sorry dear, but women aren’t allowed to run for office anymore, like colored people. Perhaps you could aim for governor?

Y PANDORA

(Shakes head)
No, I’m gonna change the rule! I’m gonna be the first women president ever!

TEACHER

...I see...
(Finishes speaking to students as PANDORA speaks)

PANDORA

(Begins to gesture slightly with hands)
I had aimed for that for so long, I studied so much. They told me I couldn’t do it...but I kept on going.
(The curtain falls, hiding the classroom. PANDORA walks back to DC)
I kept on going...until the election came.

(The PRESIDENT takes the stage at the “presidential” podium at DL. He smiles and waves as if he just won the presidential election)

Our candidates were neck-and-neck, until the third party completely obliterated the competition. He emerged victorious with ninety five percent of America’s votes. And it was great...at first.

(The PRESIDENT exits)

The new president everyone fawned over began to create new rules, upsetting checks and balances. Slowly, he implemented legislation that gave him an enormous amount of power. I was in eighth grade then, and that’s when the plan formed.
(ELIAS enters, setting down a chair and taking a seat, writing in a notebook)

Dorian, Ion, and I decided we needed to take back America.

(CLEON enters, talking to ELIAS. They lip sync to each other a conversation relating to CLEON being smarter than ELIAS)

Along our way to form the start of our rebellion, we met Elias, an aspiring writer, and Cleon...who ended up as my smart-a*s college boyfriend.

(DORIAN and ION enter excitedly, attempting to bring the two older boys with them)

When I was sixteen, I finally got support. Word spread about a new rebellion forming, and everybody oppressed by this new tyrant begged for membership. At the time, though, we didn’t even have a name. After much thought, I named us after my four subordinates. Dorian, leader of Defense. Ion, leader of Influence. Cleon, leader of Intelligence. Elias, leader of Administration.

(DORIAN, ION, CLEON, and ELIAS exit)

We are the rebellion organization known as DICE. You never know what we’re going to roll out.

CLEON

(Yells from offstage)

Pandora!

(PANDORA exits)



SCENE 2

(PANDORA is in an apron working at a Florist's Shop.)

(CLAYTON and ISABELLE enter from stage left as Pandora puts out a single, potted purple flower into the open space. The flower can be fake, but must be a flower that exists in the color purple)

CLAYTON

Oh, look!
(Approaches shop)
There’s a meeting today!

ISABELLE

(Confused)
...You can tell by the flowers? Is it the arrangement?

CLAYTON

Nah, that’d be too complicated. See that single flower there?

(Isabelle nods)

The color of the flower indicates the message. If purple, there’s a meeting that day. If orange, no meeting and lay low. If red, meeting cancelled. That’s the basics.

ISABELLE

...I see...
(Writes information in a notepad)

CLAYTON

(Suddenly, after a pause)
Oh yeah! We need to hurry so we’re not late!

ISABELLE
...Late for what?


CLAYTON

Why, new member induction of course!

ISABELLE

I-...induction?

CLAYTON

Don’t worry! It’s not bad.
(Grabs her wrist)
Come on!

(They exit)

(PANDORA “walks out” of the shop from behind the frame, removes and folds her apron, places it on the step and exits)

(The shop frame is quietly taken offstage as the curtains open, revealing the rebels’ underground base. The three chairs are occupied by ION, DORIAN, and ISABELLE. PANDORA, CLEON, and OCELOT sit on the step. CLAYTON and the other members sit on the ground around them all)

PANDORA

(With arms crossed and legs outstretched and crossed)
Now, before we concern ourselves with induction, we must talk about...call it current affairs. Ion?

ION

(Turning to the Members)
For those of you in my division, I’m going to be having a concert next month, so I need you to get every pedestrian and government official to be there! This concert will be a strike to put us in the papers. Dorian?

DORIAN

(With a nod)
On my end, we’re going to be gathering supplies and sneaking them backstage. A list of items will be distributed in the next section meeting. Cleon?

CLEON

(Arrogantly)
As we are the most intelligent of the group,

(Beside him, PANDORA rolls her eyes)

the supplies brought in will be required to be set in the proper areas. My adorable Pandora
(Attempts to pinch PANDORA’s cheek, but she slaps his hand 
away)
will be there to help direct us. Elias?

ELIAS

(With a somber smile)
My division will be in charge of mapping out every crevice of the stage for our other departments. It is a very large stage, so accurate mapping between a large amount of people is extremely difficult, therefore it is paramount you work together and give full participation.

(The members look around at each other and nod)

(ISABELLE raises her hand)

CLEON

What is it?

ISABELLE

(Uncertain)
I-uh...
(Lowers hand)
I was never assigned to a department…

(Pandora sits up straight)

PANDORA

That’s because you’ve got a special task. But...consider yourself a part of both Ion and Elias’s departments.

ISABELLE

...Special task?

PANDORA

You’re more...unique than our other members. I want you to take pictures with that camera of yours. Of the band, of Ion, of the crowd. You’re, in a sense, our press secretary.

CLAYTON

Congratulations! You’ve got a special task like me!

ISABELLE

...What’s your task?

CLAYTON

(With pride)
I’m a lookout for missions.

(ISABELLE hesitates)

OCELOT

(Sighs)
So, member induction?

(They all turn to her in amazement that she spoke, then turns to PANDORA)

PANDORA

Right...induction.
(Relaxes back)
For new membership induction, you’ll all need to grab a can of spray paint while we head out. We’re going to Rebel Alley, an alleyway we dedicated to ourselves for graffiti. All new members will be required to spray the rebellion’s logo and sign your name backwards"in all caps. Feel free to rotate some of the letters as well. After, you may begin to paint whatever you like until everyone is finished, and you can always go back later on your own time.

ISABELLE

Whatever we want?

PANDORA

Just don’t paint over anyone else’s work without consent.

ISABELLE

Got it.

PANDORA

Everyone ready then?
(Pauses)
Dismissed.

(Everyone stands and some of the new members pick up the walkie talkies and paint cans)

(All exit, except for ISABELLE and CLAYTON)

CLAYTON

(Grabs ISABELLE’S wrist, preventing her from leaving)
Hey...

ISABELLE

...What?

CLAYTON

(Takes back his hand)
Can I...
(Nervously)
Can we...hang out together sometime?

(ISABELLE hesitates, surprised)

I...I think you’re really cute...
(Here, make the crowd go “Awwwww <3”)

ISABELLE

(After some hesitation, she nods and smiles)
Of course.
(Holds out hand)
Shall we?
(CLAYTON gives a bright smile, taking her hand and coaxing her to skip as they join the others)

(They exit giggling)




SCENE 3

(The curtains open to reveal the five leaders and ISABELLE spray painting on a wall in Rebel Alley. While working on the logo painting, PANDORA takes a step back to examine it)

CLEON

...Looks good?

PANDORA

...Not yet.
(Continues to spray paint)

CLEON

Such a perfectionist...maybe you should take a break from tagging the town.

(PANDORA remains silent)

(CLEON chuckles)

ISABELLE

(Backs away)
There, I finished.

ELIAS

Looks good.

ISABELLE

(After some hesitation)
Do...do you mind if I take a picture of the wall?

ION

(The group freezes)
...Why?

ISABELLE

For a keepsake. I can work it into the papers if you’d like.

PANDORA

That won’t be necessary, but I don’t mind the pictures. I recommend taking a snapshot of that wall with my finished mural.
(Continues)

ISABELLE

(Backs up to the wall)
Ugh...I really wanted a picture of the entire wall. I can only capture a small bit. Is there a higher place I can get to?

CLEON

You can go into the building and snap one from the window, it’s not going to kill you.

ISABELLE

...Alright. Can you lead me-

(CLAYTON enters)

CLAYTON

(Running in eagerly, interrupting)
I can take you there!

CLEON

Who would cover your position as lookou-

CLAYTON
Ocelot can take my position!
(A bit stern)
Right, Ocelot?

OCELOT
(Stands and sighs)
Sure, whatever.
(OCELOT exits)


CLAYTON

Come on!
(Grabs ISABELLE and runs)

ISABELLE

Hey, wait! Where are we going!

CLAYTON

I’m taking you inside the building.
(The pair run around the set to the staircase)
Here it is!
(They rush up the stairs to the top of the set. The leaders paint below them and talk under them quietly. The light should be only on CLAYTON and ISABELLE)

(After some hesitation)
Well...what do you think? Good enough?

ISABELLE

(Looks at CLAYTON, then back to the audience)
Yeah...it’s perfect.
(Takes a picture)

(CLAYTON crosses his hands behind his back, shuffling his feet a bit. he attempts to hide a beaming smile from ISABELLE)

(After checking the picture)
So...how long did it take? To cover these walls, I mean.

CLAYTON

I’m not sure. I wasn’t here when the original team started. Only after Cleon kinda got used to things did he formally invite me to join.
(Looks away with uncertainty)
...I guess no one wants their dorky little brother around, right?

ISABELLE

...That’s not true. I may be a new member, but...you seem like a great little brother.

CLAYTON

...Really?
(This should not be a heartfelt, “pity me” “really?”)

ISABELLE

I would love to have a little brother like you, but I’m an only child. And I don’t have my parents anymore...

CLAYTON

You don’t?! I’m so sorry"where do you live then? Do you have someone to help take care of you? You know we can help-

ISABELLE

(Suddenly)
I-...I live in an apartment, so it’s cool...

CLAYTON

...Who’s watching out for you?

ISABELLE

I...know someone. They help me out with living expenses.

CLAYTON

(Slightly disappointed)
Oh...well, if you ever need anything, you know who to call.

ISABELLE

(Trying to ease the tension)
...The Ghostbusters?

CLAYTON

(Confused)
What? No…

(ISABELLE laughs)

(With realization)
Oh.
(They laugh)

ISABELLE

There’s a nice breeze up here...isn’t there?

CLAYTON

Yeah...it’s pretty nice.
(Slowly, they reach for each other’s hands. Once they do, they 
laugh shyly)

CLEON

Clayton! Isabelle! Come join us!

CLAYTON

Ah...I guess we better join them...

ISABELLE

(Giggles, squeezing CLAYTON’s hand)
Yeah.
(They walk down the stairs and join the others)

(The leaders should all be waiting for them to join)

CLAYTON

We’re here. What’s up?

PANDORA

...Isabelle.

ISABELLE

(Slightly nervous)
...Yes?

PANDORA

...What-...What do you think of our rebellion?

ISABELLE

...What do you mean?

PANDORA

What do you think? Do you like it? Do you feel at home here?

ISABELLE

(Earnestly)
Yes, I do. I feel at home, I feel like this was the right decision for me. I...I know people...people that have fallen into the hands of the...
(With emphasized, uncertain disgust)
tyrant...and I want to avenge them...

PANDORA

...I see. I’m glad you enjoy your time here...

ISABELLE

Thank you for accepting me. I can’t wait until our next activity.

PANDORA

(With suspicion)
...How long have you worked for the newspaper?

ISABELLE

A few years. Oh! Don’t worry, I won’t leak anything in the papers! I promise!

PANDORA

...H-

(OCELOT enters, running calmly)

OCELOT

He’s coming.

ISABELLE

“He”? Who’s coming?

ION

Hmph. The tyrant.

PANDORA

Everyone grabs supplies. We leave no fingerprints.

(They grab the paint supplies and exit with haste)

(The PRESIDENT enters)

PRESIDENT

(Rushes in, angrily peering at the painted walls. He hurries to the camera and turns back to the audience, his tone is stern and full of emphasis and rage)
Blasted kids...vandalizing my property. I will not stand for this. Now I must hurry back...I must see if my inside source has gathered anything.

(The PRESIDENT exits)




SCENE 4

(The curtains open to reveal the PRESIDENT’s office. The 
PRESIDENT is flipping through pages vigorously)

(ISABELLE enters)

PRESIDENT

There you are. How is the investigation?

ISABELLE

Excellent, sir. I’ve gathered much data.

PRESIDENT

Do tell.

ISABELLE

Apparently, there are signals from a certain flower shop that show if there is a meeting, etcetera.
(Flips through pictures on camera)

PRESIDENT

Which flower shop?

ISABELLE

This one, sir.
(Shows him the picture)

PRESIDENT

(Examining the picture)
...Interesting...

ISABELLE

I’ve only learned the basic symbols, but it is told by a single flower of a certain color. Purple stands for a meeting, red stands for meeting cancelled, and orange is no meeting, and they’ll be attempting to hide from any government officials.

PRESIDENT

(Eagerly)
Have you the location of the rebel’s base?

ISABELLE

Yes sir.
(Flips through camera pictures once more)
From the flower shop, you must go down this road, cross the park, make two lefts and a right, then go into this area here.

PRESIDENT

(Irritated)
That’s a restricted area.

ISABELLE

(Pausing)
...I know sir. After that, you continue to this metal grate here. Pull it up and it’ll drop you down into an old railroad track that hadn’t been touched for several years. Continue down the track opposite the side blocked off and the rebels’ base will come into view.

PRESIDENT

(Sighs)
Do you know of anything upcoming? Anything they’re planning to do to ploy against us?

ISABELLE

(Stepping back)
The only activity I’m aware of is something they’re doing for a concert next month, that young idol Ion...

PRESIDENT

(Bangs his fists on the table in frustration)
I knew that girl was with them.

ISABELLE

Please, calm yourself Mr. President.

PRESIDENT

(Adamant)
Who are the others? Do you have pictures of them? Casual description, age, codename, anything?!
(The PRESIDENT stands, slamming his hands onto the desk)

ISABELLE

(Hesitating)
I...
(She flips through the pictures and stops on a picture of CLAYTON)
I...do not. I apologize sir. But-

PRESIDENT

(Interrupting)
THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU STILL HERE?!

ISABELLE

(After a pause)
Sir, I’m trying to not be too conspicuous. And you’ll be able to see them at the concert anyways.

PRESIDENT

(Sighing)
Urgh...I guess I can’t cancel the concert anyways unless I want to deal with that girl’s bratty fans…. Fine then, I’ll just have to wait.

ISABELLE

Good idea.

PRESIDENT

(Waves ISABELLE away)
You’re dismissed.

ISABELLE

(Bows)
Thank you, Mr. President.

(ISABELLE exits as the ASSISTANT enters)

ASSISTANT

Mr. President.

PRESIDENT

(Sighing)
What now?

ASSISTANT

(Hands him a letter from a clipboard)
An invitation, sir. It just arrived. Teen idol Ion wants you to be at her upcoming concert next month.

PRESIDENT

(Elbow on desk, facepalming)
Thanks for the information.

ASSISTANT

Anytime, sir.

PRESIDENT

(Sighing, waving his hand lazily)
You’re excused...

ASSISTANT

(Bows)
Thank you, Mr. President.

(The ASSISTANT exits)

(The PRESIDENT sighs and continues his work as the curtain falls)




SCENE 5

(The two black walls should be in place and the stage ready for the concert to begin. DORIAN, ELIAS, and OCELOT should be offstage, ION being on the opposite side of them. On the upper floor of the auditorium, PANDORA and CLEON will be knelt behind the audience, but still somewhat in view. The DICE members should be scattered and knelt throughout the audience, in place before the PRESIDENT arrives. The members should react to whatever is said onstage. If no background band, the lines and actions will have to be edited slightly)

GUITARIST

(Energetic)
How’s everybody doing tonight?
(Waits for audience response)
Good! Well, we’re going to go ahead and kick this gig into gear. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the beautiful, the talented, Ion!

(DICE members should clap and cheer, but PANDORA and CLEON clap silently)

(ION enters in her performance dress and should have an earpiece for easier movement, although a microphone would be fine. The beginning of the soundtrack should be played as ION enters and speaks. It can be looped as needed)

ION

(Skip/runs in with a bright smile, waving to the audience)
Whoo! Are you guys ready?

(Members respond)

Then let’s get started!

(ION can either sing or lip-sync the song while dancing slightly to emphasize the words. The chosen song should be uplifting and inspirational, having a nice dance beat. Frozen’s “Let it Go” would not be appropriate for this situation. The song can be cut as needed)

(The following lines of PANDORA and CLEON are spoken quietly)

PANDORA

The concert’s running smoothly.

CLEON

It is.

PANDORA

Are we set to go live?

CLEON

Just give me the word.

(The three PATROLS “enter”, shouting their lines to be heard)

PATROL #1

Hey! You there!

(PANDORA and CLEON turn their heads to see the patrols, then 
begin to run)

PATROL #2

Stop!

(PANDORA and CLEON rundown the stairs to meet the others backstage. The PATROLS chase after them, tripping and shouting as if they were caught in hidden traps. ION is still performing all the while. All the cast members save the performers should be reacting, and the PRESIDENT growing angry)

(Backstage, the leaders line up in their order, leaving a space for ION, behind the first wall. PANDORA is standing slightly in front of them between CLEON and ION’s space. At the high point of the song, the GUITARIST grabs the wall and throws it offstage. The PRESIDENT should be nearly hopping out of his seat and ION backs into her spot in line. By this point, there is hopefully an instrumental break long enough to last the rest of the scene)

PANDORA

(Make sure she is loud enough for the audience to hear. The music may have to be turned down, and/or use a microphone)

Attention everyone. What you have seen here today is one of the first steps to regaining our freedom. I’m sure all of you have disagreed with the new laws in some way or another. So join us today! We will band together and take down the tyrant! We will return this country to whom it rightfully belongs"the people!

(Hidden members cheer)

PRESIDENT

(He stands, infuriated)

Stop...stop! That’s enough! You are under arrest for treason! Guards! Guards! Seize them-

(As the PRESIDENT walks up to the door to get backstage, CLAYTON runs up behind him and trips him. The PRESIDENT falls into the door and the door is slammed shut. A PATROL can be on the other side to catch him if need be)

PANDORA

We are the rebellion organization known as DICE. You never know what we’re going to roll out.
(PANDORA steps forward with her right foot and points at the audience, looking cool and admirable. The music should end here, and the members cheer and applaud. The lights should black out and the curtains close in front of them, they then exit. DICE members quietly return backstage through some entrance)




SCENE 6

(PANDORA is back working at the Flower Shop. There is a purple flower in place and several members of DICE walk by to take notice. Once the people clear out, a voice is heard offstage)

PRESIDENT

(Offstage, annoyed)
And I don’t understand why those kids keep eluding me! How many bases have they relocated underground to now?

(PRESIDENT and the ASSISTANT enter)

I had them in my grasp at that concert seven years ago…

(PANDORA hides behind the shop front to where the 
PRESIDENT and audience cannot see her)

Maybe I should up the security again. It wouldn’t-
(Stops when he sees the flower)
Ah...so there’s a meeting today.
(Turns to face ASSISTANT)

(PANDORA peers at him from behind the frame, panicked)

Perfect! This is the best opportunity I’ll ever have! Do you have coordinates for their most recent hideout?

ASSISTANT

(Hands him map)
Yes sir, we finished mapping a route via our inside source yesterday.

PRESIDENT

(Grabs the paper and pauses to examine it)
Excellent. Call as many troops as you can, and make sure they’re armed. Who knows who sort of traps and tricks those hooligans have for us.

ASSISTANT

Way ahead of you, sir.
(Puts finger on earpiece)

(As she leaves with the PRESIDENT)
Hello? Yes? How many armed troops are currently available for transport?

(PANDORA hides behind the shop once again)

(The PRESIDENT and ASSISTANT exit)

(After a moment, PANDORA looks up to check the area. Once she sees the coast is clear, she replaces the purple flower with a red one and quickly stands and folds her apron, then “exits” the shop. She grabs her HT and calls CLEON)

PANDORA

(With a desperate tone, but attempting to hide it)
Cleon? Cleon? Cancel the meeting! The tyrant...I don’t know how, but he knows where our hideout is; he knows our signals. He’s heading to base right now, evacuate the area immediately! Please!
(Waits for a response)
Cleon? Cleon? Answer me! Cleon!
(Lowers the HT and grips it harder. She looks around for a second
in deep thought)
Let’s see...if they’re taking that route, then I could beat them if I run this route...I hope…

(PANDORA exits, running offstage)

(The curtains open revealing the DICE members and leaders in their base. The flower shop is rolled off as the curtains open)

CLEON

(Cheerfully. He seems to have changed since seven years ago)
Alright everyone, since Pandora’s working late today, I wanted to thank everyone in her place. We’ve become so close as an organization, and we’ve gone so far as a rebellion. Pandora tells me she can almost taste our freedom. Just a bit longer and I think we’ll be able to liberate the country. I...we are so proud of you all.

(As he speaks, he looks around from member to member. The members all smile and nod, patting each other on their backs. CLEON then turns to CLAYTON fingering a camera that ISABELLE left him. CLEON pats him on the back)

(Softly)
Hey, it’s only been a month. She may have had to move suddenly. I’m sure she’ll come back for you...alright?

(CLAYTON nods quietly)

And cheers for the future generation of the rebellion. Though she is away, she is in a safe place,

(Next to him, ION and DORIAN hug. He motions to them)

their little Avery. Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to locate Ocelot’s children, Elizabeth and Ellinore. All I know is they are out of harm's way.

(ELIAS shifts uncomfortably, opening a book on his lap. In it is three pictures, two of baby girls and one of OCELOT)

She knows what she’s doing.

(ELIAS looks up at him)

She’s alive, I know it. She has allies to keep her alive.

(ELIAS nods solemnly)

(Trying to bring the mood up)
So, any ideas for our next plan-

PATROL #1

(From offstage)
Freeze!

(A group of PATROLS enter, all armed and ready to kill if need 
be. The PRESIDENT enters behind them)

You are under arrest for treason against the President!

PATROL #2

Everybody, hands in the air!

CLEON

(In disbelief)
H...How did you find us?

PATROL #2

(Grabs CLEON and pins him to the ground)
Hands where I can see ‘em!

(CLEON slowly raises his hands with the others)

PRESIDENT

(With disgust)

Hmph...how revolting to see my own staff and cabinet member here...take them away!

(The PATROLS begin herding out the members)

ELIAS

Ouch....hey!

ION

(Fighting against a PATROL)
Rrgh...Get your hands off me!

CLEON

Let them go! You can take the leaders, but let the others go!
(Sentence should trail offstage)

ION

You’ll be sorry!

(They all exit, except for the PRESIDENT who spots CLEON’s 
HT. He laughs sinisterly, then picks it up and exits)

(PANDORA enters, running)

PANDORA

(Out of breath, she pulls out her HT)
Crap...Cleon? Cleon?
(She changes frequencies, gasping for air and in a panic, nearly in 
tears)
Cleon? Anyone? Answer me...please…

(The HT crackles)

...Cleon?

PRESIDENT

(With intrigued venom)
Hello.

(PANDORA stares wide eyed at the HT and nearly drops it. She is 
fighting back tears and exits, running to the town above ground)





SCENE 7

(PANDORA enters, out of breath. She runs in and comes to a quick halt relaxing on her knees)

PANDORA

(To her HT)
Wh...where did you take them?

(On the opposite side of the stage, the PRESIDENT enters. He speaks through his HT as if they are a distance away)

PRESIDENT

Oh, don’t worry. They’re safe with me...

PANDORA

(Standing straight)
Answer me!

(The PRESIDENT hesitates)

PRESIDENT

You really do care about your insignificant organization, don’t you?

(PANDORA hesitates)

...Well?

PANDORA

Of course I do. Tell me where they are.

PRESIDENT

You know where my office is, correct? You little hooligans have vandalized it before. That’s where I’ll be.

(PANDORA flinches in attempt to start running, but the PRESIDENT’s voice stops her)

However, I’m only giving you a minute to get here.

PANDORA

Your office is on the other side of town!

PRESIDENT

Be even a second late, and I’ll crush your precious rebellion without mercy.
(The PRESIDENT exits, leaving PANDORA in shock)

(PANDORA exits, running as fast as she can. As the actors get into their positions, PANDORA runs around them as if she is avoiding a crowd. Another actor can take her place as runner for her to take a breather)

(After a moment, the curtains open to reveal the Presidential office. The DICE leaders and CLAYTON are sitting on the ground, hands tied behind their backs. The male leaders are bruised from being beaten, mostly CLEON. The rest of the DICE member lay dead on the ground, shot down by the patrols. The PRESIDENT, golden pocket watch in hand, is grinning evilly standing in L. A PATROL is holding ISABELLE, and she has a panicked and desperate look on her face. PANDORA runs in and freezes at the sight before her)

ISABELLE

(Crying)
I’m sorry, Clayton! I didn’t know this would happen!

CLAYTON

(Coldly, trying to hide his voice cracking in sadness)
Whatever. You...you’re only concerned about yourself….

ISABELLE

Clayton!

PRESIDENT

Seeing as neither I nor anyone else needs you around anymore, you’re excused.

ISABELLE

No! Clayton, I’m sorry! I love you and I’m sorry! I-

(PATROL #3 removes a pistol from his belt and kills ISABELLE. She drops to the ground, lifeless. CLAYTON silently begins to cry)

PRESIDENT

(Clicks the watch and crosses his hands behind his back)
...You’re late.

PANDORA

(Horrified)
That traffic out there…it’s never been there before. Y-...you planted everyone in my way...didn’t you?

PRESIDENT

(Shrugs)
Must be a bad day for going out.

CLEON

(Weakly)
Pandora...

PANDORA


Cleon!

(PATROL #3 moves to keep the two away from each other, but the PRESIDENT stops him)

PRESIDENT

(As he speaks, PANDORA helps CLEON sit upright)

...It’s fine. Let them have their moment.

PANDORA

What did they do to you?

CLEON

(Laughs weakly)
He was just a little pissy since I wouldn’t give him any info.

(PANDORA hugs him, and he kisses her on the cheek. After a moment, CLEON whispers in her ear)
Run.

PANDORA

(Breaking away from him, confused)
Wh...what?

CLEON

You have to get out of here. We’ll create a distraction...you need to run and find somewhere to hide-

PANDORA

After all this? I’m not leaving you here!

CLEON

(Sighing)
Pandora...

PANDORA

(Beginning to cry)
I didn’t run all the way here just to run away again. I’m not leaving you.

CLEON

(Sternly)
Pandora.

PANDORA

(Yelling)
I’m not leaving-

CLEON

(Sternly, yelling back)
You are our only hope anymore!! Only you can take down the tyrant!!!

PANDORA

And what do you suppose I do? Huh? I turn tail and run for the hills and what’s left for me there? All of our followers are dead now! I-...I don’t even have anywhere to hide. I don’t have any support. I...I don’t have anything left anymore.

ION

What about…

(All “living” cast members turn to ION)

What about our child? What will happen to little Avery?

PRESIDENT

(Breaking the silence)
And how old is she? Four? Five? A child is no threat to me, we’ll find her soon enough-

DORIAN
(Interrupting, irritated)
You just said she’s a child! Is it necessary to kill a young girl that poses no threat?


PRESIDENT

True, but I don’t want to risk her rebel blood renew those foolish shenanigans again.

ELIAS

(Weakly)
Ocelot…

(They now turn to ELIAS)

(Lifting his head, staring the PRESIDENT dead in the eye)
Ocelot has taken our little girls out of town. She’ll start up the rebellion again. She’ll…

(PATROL #2 hits ELIAS with the butt of his pistol, and ELIAS falls to the ground. The PATROL then pulls ELIAS up by his shirt)

ION

(Gasps)
Elias!

ELIAS

(More weakly)
Go ahead...those girls will pay you back thrice the price. They’ll…
(He breathes)
They’ll stop you...

(ELIAS falls unconscious. The PATROL rears back to hit him again.)

PRESIDENT

Stop.

(The PATROL freezes and looks at him)

There’ll be plenty of time for that later.

(The PATROL drops ELIAS)

DORIAN

(He and ION scoot close to examine him)
Elias...

CLEON

(Pleading)
Pandora...please...

PRESIDENT

Feel free to.
(They turn to him)

I’ll let you go, it’s fine with me. But as you said before, just where do you expect to run to? Do you think you’ll be able to gain support once again? Do you think people would want to join after all of this? Do you think that there wouldn’t be my supporters to turn you in for treason?

(PANDORA hesitates)

But it’s only fair to give you a chance...correct?


CLEON

Pandora!

(PANDORA turns to him)

Please...

PRESIDENT
(After a moment)
So? What’ll it be, Pandora?

(PANDORA hesitates, then lowers her head and raises her hands)

PANDORA

...We surrender…

CLEON

Pandora!! NO!!

PRESIDENT

You truly are a wise young lady. Take them to my cage I’ve prepared for them.

(The PATROLS begin to help the leaders to their feet)

(As they begin to take CLAYTON)
Now hold on.
(The PATROL and CLAYTON look at him)

I don’t need that one, just the five in charge. Dispose of him.

(PATROL #1 removes the pistol from his belt and kills CLAYTON. He falls to the ground and is left with the other bodies)

(ION gasps loudly)

CLEON

(Bursting into sudden tears)
CLAYTON!!!

(ION quickly turns her head away and is taken off stage along with CLEON, DORIAN, and an unconscious ELIAS. They are struggling to escape, but to no avail. They exit)

PRESIDENT

(Grabs the chin of a struggling PANDORA being restricted by a PATROL, smiling venomously)
I hope you enjoy the time in your cage...at least you’ll be with your dearest friends…

(PANDORA, the PATROLS, and a satisfied PRESIDENT exit)


END

© 2015 Nyssa Nyx


Author's Note

Nyssa Nyx
Submitted for the "Who's Up for a Challenge?" contest hosted by Wild Spirit.

I know I originally made this for my Creative Writing class, but I thought that it fit in with this contest theme so I decided to submit it. The story is supposed to span over seven years but...I could only do so much in a one-act ^_^'

I hope you enjoy the story :D

P.S. I hope all the formatting stayed correct...
P.S.S. Nope, it didn't -_-"

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on August 5, 2015
Last Updated on October 13, 2015
Tags: rebellion, play

Author

Nyssa Nyx
Nyssa Nyx

About
Writer of random crap that comes to my head. Currently affected by Writer's Bleck. All art posted on this account is my own~ --Eternally in writer's block Hell --Slowly coming back maybe .. more..

Writing