Chapter One: In Case You're Reading This

Chapter One: In Case You're Reading This

A Chapter by Miss Evans
"

The first chapter to the novel 'In Case of Emergency' is an introductory chapter. Ingrid introduces herself, her life, and her reason for presenting this book, to the readers.

"

Table of Contents

Table of Contents. 2

Chapter One. 3


Chapter One

In Case You’re Reading This

 

In case you’re reading this, you’re probably wondering just what this whole thing is about. My name is Ingrid Aimes, it’s an ugly name I know, but that’s not the point. I’m writing this journal, if you can call it that, to keep track of everything that happens in life, and the right way to deal with it�"I guess you could just call this Life 101.

Since I’m gonna be telling you about life and all, you’re probably wondering what mine is like. I’m fifteen, a freshman in high school, I have two parents, one sibling, and a hamster named Rocky. I live in a suburban neighborhood in the Bosline on the West Coast of the United States, in a four bedroom, two bathroom house with a pretty nice-sized kitchen, and a whole lot of nosey neighbors.

Just like any other state, we’ve got our share of troubles and treasures. In Bay County, where I live, there’s a little bit of everything. Different kinds of people, different kinds of places, and different kinds of lives�"it’s pretty nice living in a place like that, if you ask me. Nothing can ever get too terribly boring.

My life is fairly normal, I suppose, nothing too spectacular about it, nothing too horribly tragic about it. I’m just somewhere in between average and boring. Of course, that’s why we’ll be talking about anyone and everyone I come by, my own little life isn’t nearly as interesting as the collective of lives around me.

I’m sure you figured it out already, but I’m not really the most popular person in the world. I don’t really mind it, sometimes being the underdog is really fun�"It’s always more surprising to people when you do certain things, than if you were some elitist on the top of the world.

That’s not to say that all those elitists aren’t any good, though. I mean, I would kill for a chance to meet some of my idols, and all those fancy parties? Icing on the cake of life. But you know, kind of have to be happy with what you’ve got. Someone close to me once said, ‘don’t drop the world to reach for a star’�"can’t live life with our heads in the clouds, and your feet off the ground.

Maybe some day this guide will get published and become a best-seller, and I’ll become one of those rich writers, like J.K. Rowling, and I’ll get invited to big parties with people like George Clooney, and I’ll probably spend a lot of time rubbing elbows at star-studded events, and name-drop like it’s nobody’s business, but for now�"

  

 

This is for all of us underdogs, boys and girls�"In case of emergency.


 



© 2012 Miss Evans


Author's Note

Miss Evans
I would really appreciate all reviews, critiques, and suggestions for this chapter. I finally figured out how to get my formatting into my writing, so it should all look uniform from now on. Please let me know what you think!

I am hoping that I can finish this before this time next year, at least the first installment, and publish it through Amazon or CreateSpace.

Many thanks to Michael, who let me use one of his life quotes, I really appreciate it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think what your missing is the other some odd number of chapters that would make up this book. It's a great beginning, insightful and personal. You really got into the character of Ingrid Aimes. You could make it a bit longer, add something right before the last sentence or so to make it flow better. You kinda take a little jump from explaining underdogs straight to conclusion, without much transition. Other than that, it's great. I can't wait to read more. Thank you.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a great idea!! I hope you will continue to flesh it out! I think the beginning could use a little work, but I mean it when I say this has good bones. Beautiful bones. I love it. Your characterization is great, I hope you will continue to work into this character, and bring her right of the page :) I would love to see more.
Carry on!

Posted 8 Years Ago


@Evans:

Just a short touch up on your new version!

The new improvements are stellar. This chapter just really 'popped'.
Personally, I find 'slice of life' genres really boring but... I think I'll stick with this one. First chapter isn't much to go on.. but.. it shows promise. Remember to RR.
In regards to your author note-- That seems like a good idea. Go for it. I'm all for self-publishing....

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sorry for my super late review (I was lazy as usual :P). Anyways~ This introduction is beyond awesome. Especially compared to your previous version, this one is neither rushed nor confusing. If this was a book at a library, an I had started to read it, there's no doubt I would continue. I love how it's straightforward (not confusingly twisted with extraneous details thrown in ~ as I've noticed a lot of introductions seem to be).

I applaud you for your unique book ideas. I really look forward to reading this one :)

Ps. Whoaaa. The formatting .__. How in the world did you do that?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This, as Summer said, seems more like a prologue. Be brutally honest huh? Well, I too feel something is missing. Maybe add some more feeling to it, instead of just writing it out, although the way you wrote it, I could see Ingrid's personality being built. Just think of adding a few more sentences here and there.

But I'm looking forward to read the rest! Send me a read request when you post it. :3

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'd read this when you posted it... but... I'm a little slow to review. Interesting. You slid right into character. The chapter was pretty 'lively'. It's a little hard to nitpick with just this slice, but I echo Lina's observation. Something to help the final sentences in her journal entry.... Right before there.

Overall, it wasn't a bad start at all!
Look forward to the second chapter.

Though, this wouldn't be a considered a prologue?
It seems more like a prologue then a chapter..if anything...



This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think what your missing is the other some odd number of chapters that would make up this book. It's a great beginning, insightful and personal. You really got into the character of Ingrid Aimes. You could make it a bit longer, add something right before the last sentence or so to make it flow better. You kinda take a little jump from explaining underdogs straight to conclusion, without much transition. Other than that, it's great. I can't wait to read more. Thank you.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

384 Views
7 Reviews
Added on June 3, 2012
Last Updated on June 6, 2012
Tags: Introduction, Prologue, In Case of Emergency