Gravity Strings

Gravity Strings

A Poem by DiskartetHaraya
"

Literally and metaphorically: "What do you get up for?"

"

Her body was a rectangle. My eyes, wedges fixed downward. While my nape still works as a rusty joint should, her straight back did nothing to keep her lower body from what it was betraying.

Gravity, it’s desperate; bringing weight to her lower body.

Waists, no longer round in shape; bum, sagging though big; an area of lose shirt... the only patch reminiscent of a backbone’s curve.

Everything about her was rigid.

Adapting to stiff chairs, hand-me-downs, to narrow hallways made narrower by fellow passersby, to life situations that seemed determined never to let her leave that ramshackle bungalow.

I see her, she is my mother.

But my head is far too heavy for my shoulders.

--Gravity, it pulls me down by the lashes. It is unwilling to enter alone into the abyss. I’d exchange places, if it could guarantee I won’t also pull down my mother with me.

--Gravity screams false promises. All I can do is look at it in the eye, with a sorry and a conditional yes, otherwise catching glimpses of my mother passing by.

More precisely, her legs trudging like a robot’s.

If only she lacked the ability to suffer. Yet Gravity clings onto all of us.

© 2018 DiskartetHaraya


Author's Note

DiskartetHaraya
What emotion/s did you feel? (Feel free to cite phrases/sentences.)

If this was to be spoken word, what kind of voice do you think should it be read with? (Adjectives or names of YouTubers and other people welcome.)

I HOPE I DIDN'T MAKE ANYONE CRY. If ever I do, I hope it's worth it.
If it makes anyone feel better: I've written this kind of poem, I tend to be pessimistic, and I'm still here.

This also appears in my FB page, Nook Of Ruth.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
Added on October 19, 2017
Last Updated on May 8, 2018
Tags: spoken word, motivation, mental health, poetry, prose poems, depression, pain, silent, suffering, family

Author

DiskartetHaraya
DiskartetHaraya

Philippines



About
Hiraya or haraya? Whichever, I need to get myself a Filipino dictionary. The word means imagination, while the other word (diskarte) has something to do with street smarts or being business-minded.. more..

Writing