Essays: The Marketing of An American President

Essays: The Marketing of An American President

A Story by Dave "Doc" Rogers
"

... about 1/6th of the population will respond to civic marketing, wait in line, click a button or flip a switch or punch a card, ans succumb to the firm belief and hope that they really did know what they were doing when they clicked or toggled or punche

"

Essays: The Marketing of An American President
by Dave Doc Rogers

It's 2008 in the Year of our Lord,... unless that offends you then it CE or Common Era instead of Anno Domini, the Year of the Domion of the Lord Jesus, ... unless that offends you. You see, I am never quite sure what is PC anymore. I used to think PC meant personal computer, but that's not PC anymore. Well, to the point then, shall we.

It's 2008 in the US of A. This means about 1/6th of the population will respond to civic marketing, wait in line, click a button or flip a switch or punch a card, and succumb to the firm belief and hope that they really did know what they were doing when they clicked or toggled or punched. Over 80% of the population will sit idly by and watch. If they are like most of those polled in my extremely unscientific polling process, they really had no clue who or what anyone really stood for. They just 'believed' this guy and everyone in that party – 'cause, you know they clicked that 'all' button – was it worth the effort to even get up that day? And, that is the state of most Americans at the voting booth, carrel, standee, machine, whatever it is now-a-days.

I have watched with interest 11 elections; which after counting them and writing this kind of makes me feel old. Not too old. I have been alive for only 12.

Eleven presidential elections. The big whooptidoo on the television that fills up the prime time slots with news, events, debates, and discussions about what was said at anytime by the candidates for the lofty office of President of the United States of America. Purportedly the most power position in the world ... according to news pundits in New York, Atlanta, Chicago, and LA. However, Paris, Moscow, London, Berlin, Beijing, and elsewhere may disagree with that statement. Pasty faced power boys from around the country backed by power brokers and those who want to be. Even fresh faced outsiders are lulled into the game at the promise of becoming a PTB later in life. Those that do not play are not re-elected. Then change, it was the 80s. New promises made that dwindled as a great man also dwindled. The 90s were about lies and a new century about deception and the looking for deceivers. Et tu Brute? In 2008 it is better to bury Caesar than to praise him, defile him too while you are at it, Cassius.

Watching the US news shows lately reminds me of Orwell's book 1984. Side note, I read it in 1984. Punny, wot? Near the end of the story ... I'm not giving anything away here ... the television kept repeating the same deception that it always did. Our hero, after being fully re-introduced into society sits watching the news. He says to himself if they lose just one battle then I will never give in but the next scene is him cheering the victory, a victim of their lies. How like our news today. It is sad to watch really. The psychological indoctrination is so subtle as to go unnoticed unless you are looking for it. CBS News with Katie has a panel of “undecided” voters for a post speech review. Careful screening of the audience allows her to steer the conversation quite well. She deliberates on those that have positive views of one candidate while “tossing” out a question to see if anyone had an opinion on the other candidate. Who is she fooling? Apparently most. I haven't heard anyone decry such outlandish, one sided journalism. Oh, she did have one person speak on behalf of the other candidate. It was negative. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Let us tell you who to vote for.

A B C ... I used to like that network. I mean, American Broadcasting Company. Great name ... if you are from America. However, good news reporting and even journalism have gone away to glitz and flash story making. I loved their most recent post debate panel. No one was for one candidate and everyone was for the other. From the news anchor through all of the political “experts” they practically gushed over their favored candidate and lambasted the other. You would nearly think the guy must have been a criminal. Surprise, surprise, when the one candidate receives a lower grade but their favored one ... just to make it close ... gets a grade overall slightly higher. I mean, who do they think they are fooling when Georgie S, the former guy working in the White House who was given a 'cush' job by the pro-Demo party news team, is doing the 'political' analysis. Whatever. If you believe that was fair and balanced go downtown Manhattan and play 3 card montie. Your chances are better at getting a fair deal.

Oh ... “fair and balanced” news network. They aren't really. If you gloss to one side or the other then you aren't fair and you aren't balanced.

CNN ... The news according to Ted Turner. I stopped watching them a long time ago.

I am disappointed at televised news and web news. I stopped reading printed news a l-o-n-g time ago. When you see pictures of one candidate in a darkened picture looking around at waving banners that you can't read and you see the other candidate standing in front of a podium, slogan clearly visible, smiling fetchingly, right hand pointing outward which happens to be at the other candidate and the slogan talks about 'change', it should be obvious this photo was a set up. But no one said anything about that bit of news manipulation. That was on the web at MSNBC until the debate that evening. I went to get a copy of the pic and it had been changed already.

Channel 23 in the TV series Max Headroom was discovered to be advertising via 'blip-verts', which they determined later to be bad because certain couch-potato types would explode. They were using their tech to manipulate the audience into buying what they wanted. We go back to Orwell now. They too were controlling a demographic through repetition as if true. If all you hear is one thing and there is no counter to it, then eventually you can program someone, several someones, to believe whatever it is you want them to believe. Karl Marx said as much in regards to the youth of a nation.

I have no doubts that, like Lincoln, Obama began with good intentions a political journey. But, Obama will find that he owes so many so much for deals done for him that he will not be able to accomplish anything should he obtain the needed electoral votes. It won't necessarily be the will of the people or even the masses. It will have been by the very slick and subversive marketing of the controllers of the information highway.

WR Hearst had no idea, my opinion, what he had wrought when he went about journalism with a new approach, sensationalism. It sold. It also fomented. Mock journalism became accepted over literary truth. Then others discovered that if you controlled the information highway you controlled the minds of a populous. With great affinity Hitler, Lenin, Mao, and Mussolini converted the masses to their way of thought. The frog was slowly boiled. I'll explain that later. To great detriment to those societies did the infusion of “their” thought overcome the thinking of the individual, and the individual was replaced by the masses and their puppet masters. Oh to play god and not be!

The marketing of an American President is an insidious process. First, you have to manufacture a candidate. He has to be a certain heroic mix. He has to come from power or subservient to it. He has to understand it, to have tasted it. He has to be of a certain educational background, the “best” schools. He has to be sponsored, “mentored” in the “right” direction. He has to be flawed but not too greatly. He has to be trained to conduct himself so as to be seen correctly in the correct way in the correct environments. He will get a publicist. He has to be seen with the right people doing just enough to keep being seen with the right people. His speeches are tailored and well timed for maximum impact. He is well coached and well rehearsed. He is photogenic. It helps to have your own photographers taking shots you want taken. He is trained to comport himself well under pressure. He appears calmly assured, “presidential.”

In print, in press, in electronic media, in stills, he is presented in the best lights and backgrounds for his complexion, ethnicity, and agenda. In moving media, he is always presented in calm, presidential assurance speaking clearly and on topic. Comparative media, he is always presented in bright surroundings and candid joy. His opponents are in dark, disturbing, or awkward environments with facial expressions that run the gamut of emotions as long as they express a negative countenance.

Those with the power to do so, controllers of the information highways, steer oh so subtly, the minds, hearts, and emotions away from those things they do not like toward those things they want the numbed populous to see. It is the art of Copperfield and Houdini. Get them to look at what you want them to see while they are doing something else you do not want them to see. And, it is more insidious than that. There are some out there who fully believe they can do what they do because they can and there is no one who sees it or empowered to stop it. It all has plausible deniability. “I didn't know that was going on, Mr. Chairman.” “I have no knowledge of that, Mr. Chairman.” The info highway loves that stuff. It's less than 5 seconds and can be repeated easily on the web or in 15 second new highlight commercials.

So, unless honest media returns to the USA and otherwise intelligent Americans become benumbed by all of the subliminal imagery and messaging, #44 can only be Obama.

US citizenry will not have participated in an election of one who is to preside over the executive branch of the US government. No, the US citizenry will have fallen prey to mass media experimentation in mass population thought control, and it will have worked.

Now, as to who is better? McCain or Obama [sorted alphabetically and not preferentially]. I do not know and would not say so here.

McCain will fight and lose to a Congress that is entrenched along party lines and will not work with him because he is old, may die in office, will put her in office, is McCain the maverick, and 500 other reasons that require asking MCs and Senators for their 'real' opinion... not gonna happen. Internationally, he will be stymied and nothing will be accomplished. It might as well have been Wilson and Roosevelt pre-WWII for all of his effectiveness.

Obama will be tauted as a hero of Civil Rights in action right up to the point he starts thinking for himself instead of those who put him there. Then he will serve 4 years and is heard of no more. If he repays those who put him in his place then he will have 3 years of glory, 3 years of easy appointments, especially judges that are friendly to certain causes and bulwarks against others, even if it is legislation from the bench. The people will not matter. Internationally, everyone who is anyone or wants to be seen as 'anyone' will clamor to talk to this 'golden anointed' son of America. What looks good for prime time info highway will not be reality however. More will be harmed than helped. Military exacerbations will rise to the point of war and the next POTUS will have to throw his or her arms up in the air in ... frustration or prayer ... they won't say which.

In my years of selling and working with and observing marketing, sometimes the hyped expectation doesn't live up to the reality of ownership. They [MCs] won't impeach because of the institution it represents, so which ever choice you end up with ... ensure you sought out real information to support your 1:300,000,000 vote. Because if you do not know what you are doing those in power will only be too glad to ensure you do what they want you to do. Done.

© 2009 Dave "Doc" Rogers


Author's Note

Dave "Doc" Rogers
ignore grammar problems, what do you think of the dialogue

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Amen! In the eighties I thought they were controlling us by letting all the drugs in... but now, with it being taboo to buy heroin because it aides the Taliban...
oh, nevermind, lol

For the first time in my life, I became interested in politics this year. I've been a voter for many elections and just about every time I went in I knew I was only voting for the lesser of two evils. This year is no different. I had high hopes. Dr. Ron Paul got my hopes up, but the information highway carjacked him early on... but now, interestingly enough, he's being interviewed on CNN about the election. Hmmm... only speak when spoken to, umhmm.

My cousin said it years ago, the minute the Presidential race ceases to be white man against white man it will become about race or gender, not politics. This year proved her right. So many people who are voting Obama don't even know what he stands for (as the many interviews my mans son has conducted throughout his school proves!). Yes, many Americans will be pulling levers cluelessly. Same as in past elections.... but only different. WAY different. Some Americans will be pulling the "white" lever... as we all know that racism is alive and well in this country, and some will pull the "black" lever.

TV sickens me. I avoid the news. I flip through commercials. I do not want to be brainwashed. I do not want to buy this or that because the TV told me to several times in a row and our brains are mapped to record such repeats as truth. Sigh.

Yep, they've got it mastered. The money owns the press, the money rules the world. No mysteries there; and you've already uncovered the "mystery" of the ad men.....

And let's not forget that he who owns the oil owns the world.

Sigh. Is there no hope left? I'm clinging to the "Campaign For Liberty" myself. I found for the first time in my life someone worthy of being president.... and I'm taking HIS groups advice on who to vote for.... watching all the facts they lay bare before me about who voted for what and how to get in touch with them. I'm holding out hope because I need it somewhere in my life.

Is the next 4 years going to be a disaster? I think definitely so. No matter who wins, even if it's the guy I vote for. Sad but true.

Excellent write, hope you woke up some zombies. Oh.... and another reminder for me to read 1984 - thanks! My mans son has been on me for months to read it!!

Oh... and an A+ on your balanced presentation!! : )

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

WOW. I'd pretty much had my GLUT of political manifestos by about a week or two before the election. Its a good thing in this case that I was so far behind in my mail here....I might have dismissed this gem due to simply being overfed. But this is powerfully and truthfully written. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I just had to print this one out and read it sloooowly! I will get back to you! Thanks! Cheers,lea

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amen! In the eighties I thought they were controlling us by letting all the drugs in... but now, with it being taboo to buy heroin because it aides the Taliban...
oh, nevermind, lol

For the first time in my life, I became interested in politics this year. I've been a voter for many elections and just about every time I went in I knew I was only voting for the lesser of two evils. This year is no different. I had high hopes. Dr. Ron Paul got my hopes up, but the information highway carjacked him early on... but now, interestingly enough, he's being interviewed on CNN about the election. Hmmm... only speak when spoken to, umhmm.

My cousin said it years ago, the minute the Presidential race ceases to be white man against white man it will become about race or gender, not politics. This year proved her right. So many people who are voting Obama don't even know what he stands for (as the many interviews my mans son has conducted throughout his school proves!). Yes, many Americans will be pulling levers cluelessly. Same as in past elections.... but only different. WAY different. Some Americans will be pulling the "white" lever... as we all know that racism is alive and well in this country, and some will pull the "black" lever.

TV sickens me. I avoid the news. I flip through commercials. I do not want to be brainwashed. I do not want to buy this or that because the TV told me to several times in a row and our brains are mapped to record such repeats as truth. Sigh.

Yep, they've got it mastered. The money owns the press, the money rules the world. No mysteries there; and you've already uncovered the "mystery" of the ad men.....

And let's not forget that he who owns the oil owns the world.

Sigh. Is there no hope left? I'm clinging to the "Campaign For Liberty" myself. I found for the first time in my life someone worthy of being president.... and I'm taking HIS groups advice on who to vote for.... watching all the facts they lay bare before me about who voted for what and how to get in touch with them. I'm holding out hope because I need it somewhere in my life.

Is the next 4 years going to be a disaster? I think definitely so. No matter who wins, even if it's the guy I vote for. Sad but true.

Excellent write, hope you woke up some zombies. Oh.... and another reminder for me to read 1984 - thanks! My mans son has been on me for months to read it!!

Oh... and an A+ on your balanced presentation!! : )

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"With great affinity Hitler, Lenin, Mao, and Mussolini converted the masses to their way of thought."

Excellent analogy as to the current state of the news.


"Because if you do not know what you are doing those in power will only be too glad to ensure you do what they want you to do. Done."

Another excellent point to bring out and hopefully wake the masses who read.

This was an excellent, well thought, well written essay, ignoring each candidate the same. This is the way new should be, point out facts and let us decide. If you were to put this out to more people, maybe more people would listen - but wait, that means people would have to read or listen.... never mind. They are asleep.

Well done!!!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great write and so true! listen to my husband and my show on radio active talk radio (or tnr.com) monday-friday at 10:00-12:00 cst.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a fabulous essay! I only saw a couple of typos but I was so encompassed by the content that I didn't even stop to make note of what they were. I agree wholeheartedly with Rain. I'm not even going to pretend to understand the political process. I'm glad you do. Your thought processes begin and end in precisely the right spots. Your thoughts are complete, intelligent, and make it able for any one person to understand your points. I especially like it when you put in the "shall we" and "my opinion" blurbs. Helps the reader hear your voice and get a better feel for your character, not just the content of your writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hello fellow fatalist. I don't see any silver lining either, although McCain dying in office could cause one.We would then end up with a president who owed no one (except McCain) and was not afraid to clean house.
Thanks to the media for usurping their freedom. And believe it or not pal normal everyday people are as sick of it as you are

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ray, thanks for the read! I found myself getting really full from too much of a one sided argument from organizations that are supposed to be unbiased. And it is my hope that readers do not see it as an Obama bash but see it as a bash against those who would steer public opinion through the manipulation of media.

I'm gonna post this at the story too for clairification's sake.

Cheers!
Doc.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is your forte. Just a great essay, and ever so true. The media's sexist and over the top attacks on Palin just convince me more to the McCain/Palin. I see through Obama. We are on our way to Socialism. I despise the elitest media and Hollywood types. When the media completely ignores Obama's connection to the housing market companies of Fanny Mae, and Freddie Mac, and refuses to shine the light on Obama's involvement in their collapse, I have little use. Great write. Rain..

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
9 Reviews
Added on October 10, 2008
Last Updated on February 11, 2009

Author

Dave "Doc" Rogers
Dave "Doc" Rogers

Montgomery, AL



About
Artist • Author • Poet • Preacher I am a thinker, ponderer, assayer of thoughts. I have had a penchant for writing since childhood. I prefer "Doc" as an hommage to my grandfather Rob.. more..

Writing