I

I

A Story by Egress
"

Prompt: Write in the point of view of the last tree standing in a forest.

"
     The clearing is quiet.
You only stand, not quite in the centre, but you are the only thing left to focus on. How do you feel about it? How do you deal with it? You say nothing to answer those silent questions.
The clearing is quiet, as you are the only one left.
    Have you ever wonder why you're here, alone?
It must be maddening. Questions hanging around your head, not quite sure about the answers. They are not pretty, the questions. Why are you alive? Why did they go? Where did they go? Will you die here alone?
    Death. The word sends shivers down your spine. You cannot hate it, however. Life is precious only when there is death to balance it, you understand that. Not only that- you want only to live your fair share of life. The concept of immortality does not tempt you. You have lived long enough.
    Have you ever thought of falling?
It will be only a thought, you know that. There is no such thing as suicide to you. It is not possible. You will only die naturally, as your fate is written in fine ink. But how do you live alone? The creeping sorrow, agony, all from knowing that there is no more leisure talks under the afternoon sun, no more confiding secrets under the safety of shadows. All the sweetness of life slips between your fingertips as you try to grasp the ashes.
    There is something inexplicably comforting about memories.
There is life behind them. Emotions, history. Everything that happens between the start of life until the end of death, all that transpires, are retained inside them. They are like little vessels, containing everything's essence. In that way, people eternally live inside others memories.
    Do you understand?
Others fall, content in knowing that they live inside memories. They have proof they lived. But what about you? Did you live? If no one else know you, can they say you lived? If you fall, and no one heard you fall, did you ever fall?
There is no answer, for only nothing can answer that.
    You are strong.
But you wonder why you're all that's left.
    You don't mind silence.
But company never seems so sweet.
    As you stand alone, I walk away. Your image disappears so quickly behind the hills. My heart tells me this is wrong, but you are only a tree left in a forest.

© 2011 Egress


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

@N.A.S.S; Thank you! This was mainly a monologue/contemplative piece, and those comes easy for me. I thrive on impossible questions.
I look forward reading your pieces as well, as soon as you publish one!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow...I wrote nowhere close to this at 14. Thought provoking and interesting, this piece painted a picture of so many thoughts and asked questions of the reader. Very nicely written and looking forward to reading more of your pieces.

Posted 12 Years Ago


You're certainly quite a bit better than I was when I was 14. This is very good, simply because it captures and entrances the reader through the use of those internal questions. The phrasing and choice of words, balanced with pure simplicity is excellent. It was a very nice read.

The only comment I'd give you is that if this is truly supposed to be written FROM the viewpoint of the tree, it isn't. It's talking about the tree, frequently using "you". While that might sound like it's fine, it's actually far more personal while you're reading if the term "I" is used instead of "you". If the reader reads "you", it comes across as the story is talking TO them, telling them something. If the reader reads "I", it comes across as they are a part of the story. It ravels them into the tale, and it's more personal that way.

For a story titled "I", it wasn't used until the end in which references a human as the "I". That would be the viewpoint of the human, not the tree, and that human viewpoint seemed to carry through the story.

That's rather unimportant, because the story itself is wonderfully crafted, it just doesn't follow your prompt exactly. If you want some good info on viewpoint and tense, message me and I'll send it along.

Keep on writing, you've got talent. Especially for one so young.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 20, 2011
Last Updated on December 20, 2011

Author

Egress
Egress

Indonesia



About
A fourteen-years old girl with minimum writing experience. I'm planning to get better! On the way to plan several novels, including two murder mysteries. WILLING TO BETA. This means I'll read your w.. more..

Writing
Hobson Hobson

A Story by Egress


Lucid Dreaming Lucid Dreaming

A Story by Egress