Comrade

Comrade

A Poem by Emily Elizabeth
"

Brothers and Sisters

"

 

You hold up your banner bright, your head

Unbowed, as you march upon the cold hard ground,

From which lies the coffins of the red,  dead;

And yet,

Not to the works that you find profound.

 

You are not just the proletariat, but more so than that,

The middle classes’ chosen few that are the very same

Soil of your comrades who followed you into combat

Who bled the same blood, and shared your pain.

 

And still

There are many that flaw your name,

Glorious and a deep hue of bold scarlet, the sneer

From the black eyes of the traitor that rains the shame

Upon your red and yellow frontier.

 

Who is true and who is not, the very question

Is shouted out from the tenacious and  the brave

 But soon all is lost, along with the expression,

As in come the oppression, wave by wave.

 

The corrupted disguise themselves and they strike

Poisoning our sacred knowledge and our truth,

Portraying us a falsehood that we are so unlike,

Poisoning the idea of liberty we teach our youth.

 

We have suffered long and suffered hard, but!

We have not fallen  to their power!

No matter how many of us they try to cut,

Well still fight, by the name, and on the hour

 

We must remember Lenin and the heroes, our

Most ungodly messiahs who were born from the Earth,

To teach justice, equality and  bless us with the red star

But not be disillusioned or our morals will become dearth.

 

So you just utter that simple word, and I will

Be there to side you so our word of red is spread

Though bleed we might, And we’ll fight this until

We too join our brothers and sisters, the dead,

In the cold hard ground.

 

© 2008 Emily Elizabeth


Author's Note

Emily Elizabeth
This is a poem for my mum, my granddad, my friends, and the people who I grew up with as someone born into a Communist culture. I'm going to do a series of writings on growing up raised in Communists in what is very similar to a Religious community. Anyway, this is a poem dedicated to the true pioneers of Left-wing politics, not like those sickening National Bolsheviks, or the corrupt politicians (cough cough, I'm looking at you, Stalin and Mao).
Anyway, I doubt this will be popular, but if someone can post a poem about Religion, I can post a poem about leftism. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You write with such a powerful sense of history and destiny, capturing so well the soul of those who gave their lives for the cause of creating a better world. I cannot say this enough of your writing, but you have a brilliance and depth about your words that create vivid, unforgettable images and emotions. Profound!

Craig

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A excellent story. USA is heading in the direction of Communist ways. I believe too much Government control is bad. But when big business fall downs and the Government bailed them out. We are the owners. Here in the USA the USA control the banks and car industry. Your story made me think too much. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


This write is so passionate and clear in it's intentions. I loved reading this piece because it has personal meaning to you full of ideas you want to express but isn't self-indulgent or preachy. Through this writing I feel the loss, the pride and the glory. Great write. I hope you enter this in more competitions so it gains more recognition which it thoroughly deserves.

Posted 15 Years Ago


WOW! I am glad I checked out your write here
This is so amazing and very powerful
Thanks for this write I so loved this

The corrupted disguise themselves and they strike
Poisoning our sacred knowledge and our truth,
Portraying us a falsehood that we are so unlike,
Poisoning the idea of liberty we teach our youth.

This is so true, I like this alot, well said

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lovely poem ee
and very true
wahtever happened to all the heroes eh ;-)

Comrad !

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful! You see I am from Kolkata, a place of Communist regime in India. I like the way you wrote the whole poem. It is simple. It is awesome just. thank you.

Raja.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You're an artist of the best quality. What I mean is, this was beautiful. This was brilliance! So very well written, your words are so mature. I loved the imagery. Talk about what you want to talk about, your brilliance says you can get away with anything. I stand in awe.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This still hasn't left me yet.... it's been with me since I read it the other day. I forgot to mention a huge sensation I had of being in Russia while reading this. The cold hard ground.... when I was growing up I learned Russia were communists and always associate the two. Of course.... I do know this is not a coincidence. I pictured the snow on the ground... the driving wind..... the bundled up citizens living their lives...... and your lines about oppression ring out and pain me right in the gut. I didn't even re-read the piece while leaving this review.... I just had to get Russia out of my system because it demanded to be recognized. Much respect to Russia... and communism. Live and let live.
Also... it's interesting to me that I just did some research on Stalin and Saddam... as one writer was comparing the two. I love it when my "prep work" becomes obvious in hindsight!
(Hugs to you.... and hail leftism)~~

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

There's so much power in the brotherhood of this... the comradery reigns supreme.... there is a marching beat underlying, I agree... most likely caused by the feet of the soldiers surrounding you as you wrote this fine tribute.
It really touched me especially deeply at this line: As in come the oppression, wave by wave. Of course, it's in the midst of two powerful stanzas that cut like the knives they refer to. Oppression is a horrible thing and to think about it being done over and over again gives it an extra edge that stings.
When I think of world history this is a recurring theme.... most cultures have felt this at one time or another, and obviously some more than others. Once upon a time I would have told you I didn't believe in possession.. that I never wanted to OWN anything.... pets, land, people.... because I thought all should be free. But, lately all I want is my own piece of land so I can live my life as I'd like... without the oppression of the laws of this land I write from. And I want a dog. lol But, I suppose it is right to speak of dog spirit in review of this piece..... as their loyalty surpasses all of the animal kingdoms and I hold dogs above people in many ways. Loyalty is definitely alive and flying high in this piece.

I'm so glad of this marching us into your roots and that you're going to do a whole series. I am very fascinated with what goes on outside my little realm and I'd like to know more...from you... about the world that made you who you are.... because you are a very beautiful spirit and you shine so brightly.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

An amazing poem! Your passionate feelings come through this so strongly, and it really is one of the most powerful poems I have ever read. Personally I avoid all politics as I see nothing but proof of their lies after each and every election, and it just gets me down. People in power always seem more intent on feathering their own nests with the finest plumage first, no matter what state their country is in.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. And no matter what not everyone will agree. But such is life.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

564 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 17, 2008

Author

Emily Elizabeth
Emily Elizabeth

United Kingdom



About
He drew a circle that shut me out -- Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..