The Liar!

The Liar!

A Poem by Le' Pugh'

As I walk the streets of the city at night

The bump of the radios; the all-to-dim lights

The language unclear at the grocery store

I hardly know this town anymore

 

I’m painted a racist or bigoted fool

Called, “Cracker” or “Gringo” or “White-boy” or “Tool”

But I’ve never failed to offer a hand

Enough is enough! We will fail in this land

 

A house that’s divided is certain to crumble

Destruction will catch us if we fail to humble  

And cling to a cause that is somewhat the same

Or if we fail to call on the Name

 

Don’t think we should ever escape with our souls

If we turn from the path that high merit extols

Believe it or not, we were founded on Christ

This nation began choosing virtue, not vice

 

Though perfection was not in the souls of those men

The foundation was clearly inspired within them

And, how shall we stand against enemies great

If we wait ‘til they come it will be much too late

 

If we pause for a time to decide what is best

We might have the option to weather the test

If not, we descend as if burned in the fire

And we’ll bow in defeat to old Satan, the Liar

 

 

© 2008 Le' Pugh'


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, I could never top celtic cat's review
This is a heartfelt piece based on belief
that encourages the reader, inspiring in
context, as poetry should be!
Your words speak on many levels
I love this writing-soulful and meaningfully written
thanks

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is fantastic! Being a liar myself, I had to come right here and read this, and was quite impressed with what I've found. It's no mystery to me anymore that I always find the words I need when I need them, and those words are here, on your page today. This poem echoes so deeply within my heart, I've been so concerned with the state of affairs in America and see not much hope for our future. I had found hope in Ron Paul....but the media was quick enough to bury him under the dust of all other candidates. Why? Oh, because I suppose he believes in what the founders do....the constitution of the US....and that just goes against our war plans and our Invasion of Privacy aka Home Security. Yes, we are a nation divided, in so many ways, and it's a sad, sad thing. We are all of the same stock deep inside, and if we fight to find the commonality it's clearly there, but it's a noble fight that requires openmindedness, and we're being flooded with mindless rhetoric left and right to keep us from thinking. Sad thing is, I think it's working.

Your first stanza hit home to me...as my town has become unrecognizable and my man and I are attempting to flee. It's not even about which people are moving in....it's the quantity of people here now. When we grew up it was full of woods and you could do what you wanted in them. Now, they've destroyed more wetlands and all the woods and have borough ordinances against everything imaginable. We're trying to get into the heart of the Pinelands....we'll go hang out with the Jersey Devil....he may be a liar, too, but at least he don't mind if we ride our dirtbikes in his woods!

The second stanza stings me....Tool is a new word I hadn't heard yet. It's terrible to be called names that are not reflective of who you really are. Bigotry goes both ways, only no one has "outlawed" or called for a ban on any of the words you've mentioned. And lets face it....we're almost a minority now. Won't be long anyway. I'm not hung up on race, but racism is alive and kicking everywhere you look, despite all the calls to unite. It's sad.

The third stanza makes me want to chant "Ron Paul, Ron Paul"....cuz those are his values as well. I have a link on my profile page if you're interested....though it looks to be too late for his presidency...it's still good to know that there are people in politics who do have America's best interest in mind. But, you know, most of the nation has been brainwashed by the repeated use of terms like "terrorists" and such that nobody seems to care about losing our civil liberties in the name of counter-terrorism. I'm sure to many countries....we seem to be the terrorists. And personally...I think paying taxes is supporting terrorism. It's the government controlled media that allowed us to walk right into a war which was never passed through congress, as the Governments own rules mandate. Nope, just said "war on terrorism" as a way to keep on overtaking or "bringing to democracy" other countries. I have been politically ignorant for most of my life....but my man's son is taking politics in school...and I get earfulls of information that shock me. We have military bases all over the world. To keep peace? If another country tried to establish a military base on OUR soil what would we think about that? And you have to be truly blind to not know we allow drugs/guns to cross our borders in both directions to "maintain our interests". We've supplied so many weapons for so many wars. Not for liberty or justice or democracy like they say...but because whoever controls the oil has the power. Of course....I'm going on and on...I'll stop now, sorry.

The next stanza is great, we were founded on virtue, and I myself have strayed from that path, but see where it takes me and wish to return to good and pure. Of course, there's Satan the liar still alive and well within me...so it's a battle not an overnight reversal. But I pray and pray and pray and hope God still listens to someone as wretched as me.

The next stanza reminds me of a guy I met at a club in NYC....he's part of a militia formed out in Texas I think that where he's from....cuz THEY are going to be ready if we're not as a country. I haven't taken to stockpiling weapons and most likely won't because my man doesn't believe in them, but the first step to communism is taking the guns from the people, and here I am babbling again!!!

The last stanza is a perfect ending to this very well-written piece. Sorry I went all off on my own commentary instead of sticking purely to reviewing your piece....but you made me think, so I'm blaming you!!! lol

Keep 'em coming, Scot!!
Much love~~

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 29, 2008

Author

Le' Pugh'
Le' Pugh'

Anchorage, NE, Christmas Island



About
My new book is here! Purchase "Wings to See" at Barnes and Noble Also available on Amazon or www.fracturedrepublic.com �Wings to See� takes you on year-by-year journey thro.. more..

Writing