A Stranger's Letter

A Stranger's Letter

A Story by Fictionborn
"

What would you do if you found this in a blank booklet?

"

February 6, 2013

 

Dear diary,

 

Together we have shared many memorable and less memorable days, but memories all the same. There was hate at first, seeded in my heart. There it grew slowly, not by light but by the darkness of my mind. I became quiet, distant and indifferent. So I wrote, my hands would speak where my tongue lost all taste of speech. I found you; unopened, unspoiled, ready to be written. I stained the peaceful emptiness with the blood of my history. Humiliation, mutilation, sacrifice all coloured the contents of these pages. But there was always hope, however fickle and feeble, it would withstand each blow struck. The cruel words of my dear classmates would cut me open like a butcher's knife. I would cry and sob openly, like a squealing pig bleeding to death. Each teardrop would drain my hatred, to replace it with fear. But there was always hope. When I ran home naked from gym, being robbed of my clothes, hope embraced me as a cloak. When they threw rocks through my bedroom's window, hope hadn't broken down. When they forced me to drink from the toilet, hope didn't drown. I awoke, suffered, wrote and slept, I lived. Time elapsed, fear turned to custom, custom to behavior. A behavior in which I would remain in the background, rarely speak, rarely show any sign of human activity. And then there is today. This day, dear diary, they have taken you from me. They rushed through my personal possessions and stumbled upon your precious contents. Forced me to read all the shared memories, just before they lit a torch and finished you in a small inferno. They could have stolen my money, my books, my clothes, my humility, but never you. For with you, they stole my hope. My every reason to survive. So I write this last letter with the last gust of hope that guides my hand across the paper. Farewell, dear friend.

 

To whoever finds this last note of a lonely boy, whoever reads with an objective eye, may you find hope where others leave it. Share your memories, so we may both share our hope.

 

~Fictionborn

© 2013 Fictionborn


Author's Note

Fictionborn
I thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

it's sad that the boy's only refuge has been destroyed. that event could have pushed this fragile soul off the edge. this was a clever form for a short story. it feels like i am invading his privacy in a way by reading something so personal even if it is addressed to anyone. great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Fictionborn

11 Years Ago

I am glad to hear you can identify with the boy's situation. Thank you for the kind words.
Very poignant. I have never owned a diary, but I can understand how such a thing could become a 'friend' to a lonely person. A confidante so to speak. And very traumatic to have it destroyed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Fictionborn

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the review and your understanding.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Nik
This was very good. Out of curiosity, have you experienced a lot of bullying/teasing in your childhood? Is this personal to you?

I found it a little strange how, be it you or the 'writer' (boy/girl/whoever), writes in such an evasive and complex manner to begin with, but then moves on to straight forward and trivial problems. "Together we have shared many memorable and less memorable days, but memories all the same."(which is quite a great excerpt by the way) to "When I ran home naked from (the*) gym" and then back to the evasive metaphorical language.
I was also wondering why the diary would mean so much, i wish you had put it in there, rather than the repetitive and elusive hope. I'm also hesitant on why he would write to a diary that has been burned but wasn't alive in the first place.

My criticism definitely wasn't to say that i thought it was bad, it was very good, you certainly have a way with words!
"To whoever finds this last note of a lonely boy"- does he kill himself or has he merely given up?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Fictionborn

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.

Fortunately, I have had a happy youth with no bullying and, i.. read more
Nik

11 Years Ago

Very good explanation =) Thanks and good job!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2013
Last Updated on February 6, 2013

Author

Fictionborn
Fictionborn

About
I love fantasy.I love nonsense. I love the impossible. Whatever doesn't really happen in life is what I'm interested in. As a way of learning what does happen in life, because ultimately the only thin.. more..

Writing
Anamnesis Anamnesis

A Story by Fictionborn