Love comes in strange Ways

Love comes in strange Ways

A Story by Haley Hisel
"

Its about a girl who gets abuse by her boyfriend, and is rescued by her friend

"

I was sitting on Josh’s couch the same way I had been when I had first arrived at his house a few days ago. My purple flannel pajamas lightly rubbed against my skin as I changed positions on the couch. Josh was out getting groceries for us, I was still too scared to leave the house. All the doors and windows had to be locked with the blinds closed. I sighed and turned over onto my back and stared at the ceiling. I just couldn’t forget everything that’s been happening the last few weeks after my parents left on that cruise. I looked at my forearm; there was still a big purple welt there. I very lightly grazed my fingers over it asking myself, “Why did I ever tell my parents I’d stay at Damian’s house?”  I continued to stare at the ceiling as I started to remember that day almost a month ago. When my parents said they were leaving.

I walked into the kitchen when my mother told me she had a surprise for me. I kept persisting to know what it was but she said we had to wait until my father came into the kitchen. Finally he walked in wearing his normal jeans and T-shirt then they threw up their hands and practically yelled, “Were going on a cruise!” I was surprised but they explained that they had booked the cruise but had not yet bought me a ticket just in case I didn’t want to go.

I contemplated the idea but decided I didn’t want to go in the end so I simple explained I would have loved to go but I didn’t want them to waste their money on it. “I’ll just stay at Damian’s while you guys are gone, it’s no big deal.”

“Now Honey,” my mom started to argue, “are you sure you’ll be alright staying at your boyfriend’s house almost three months?”

I started to chuckle at her, “Yes mom I’m sure I’ll be fine.”

My dad gave me a smile and said, “Just don’t get pregnant young lady!”

“Don’t worry dad I don’t plan on it anytime soon,” I smiled back at him as I continued; “I’ll just call Damian now then.”

Damian had seemed so excited back then, even though I had explained there couldn’t be any funny business. But once I moved my necessary stuff into his house, it was the last day I’d get to see my parents for three months. I hugged my parents as I started to weep a bit, I told them I loved them through tears and that I’d call them at least once a week.

Once the boat had begun its journey Damian and I drove back to his house small talking. Once we arrived I went into the bedroom and fell asleep. At first I was glad to be there, the first week was nice but as time went on, Damian began to change. He hit me. It began to get worse and worse, and I swear to myself if Josh hadn’t walked in that one fateful day I’d probably be dead.

I rubbed at my ankle about to start crying for the fifth time that day. I knew he’d be back for me, he said he would, and he never lies. I flung my head down onto the pillow on the couch willing myself not to cry. I didn’t want Josh to come home and see me like this again. The door handle began to jiggle and I head keys clanking together, I jumped up and hid behind the brown recliner chair as I watched the door intensely. I looked down at myself and started to cry no matter how hard I tried to stop, the memories just kept coming back. But this one was of the night Josh rescued me.

I was hiding in the corner of the dark room. I pulled my legs up to my chest and crawled into a deeper darkness. I just can’t hold it in anymore. I screamed the tears streaming from my eyes almost unstoppable. I just wanted to leave forever, maybe just die. The door swung open and a little light peaked through into the dark room. I shut my eyes and whispered, “Go away.” Then in an instant I felt a sharp pain across my cheek. I looked up into his eyes, “I’m so sorry…”

Damian grabbed my hair and threw me into the ground very hard. I screamed from the excruciating pain and held my head. My hand was wet. I pulled my hand away from my head and looked at it, the wetness was blood. He froze as did I when we saw the blood. Then he ran from the room as fast as he could.

“Of course he’s running he’s leaving me here to die.” I thought to myself. I couldn’t stop the blood and I was getting dizzy. I slammed my hand down into the hard wood floor right as he came back in. He was carrying something; I couldn’t tell what it was at first. I believe it was a towel and a bowl of warm water. He dipped the towel in the bowl and started to lightly dab the wound. It hurt so I winced, he wiped my face off that was smeared with dirt and blood, and then went back to dabbing the wound. When he thought it was clean he pressed on the gash fairly hard making me shriek from pain. I flung my hand up and gripped his wrist as hard as I could, not to keep pressure on it but to know the answer to the question in my head that’s been raking my brain since he came back in. I meant to ask as harshly as I could but my voice sounded weak and helpless, “Why did you help me? You don’t care about me… not anymore…” I started to lose consciousness.

The last thing I hear back then was, “your wrong… I love you so I won’t let you die.”

I woke up and I was lying on a bed, it looked new and it was soft. I slowly leaned up and touched my forehead my head still hurt. I started to look around and noticed I wasn’t in my normal room. I got up and slowly trudged around the room looking at things. I finally realized it was Damian’s room, I walked around to the other side of the bed and he was laying there on the floor asleep. I gasped thinking to myself did he carry me in here and stay with me all night? He woke up and saw me I stood there in fear. He got up and walked toward me. I was sure I was about to be hit. So I backed up and whispered, “I’m sorry” Like I did something wrong.

He ran at me and pulled me into a hug and started to cry. I was in shock as he was mumbling sorry and hugging me. Finally he said, “Thank God you’re ok!” He released me and fell to his knees; I knelt down beside him and put my hands on his head and shoulders. I started cooing to him, and then it hit me. Why am I helping him? He just hurt me.

I removed my hands and silently got to my feet and walked out the door. I continued till I got into the bathroom and splashed my face with water. I looked into the mirror and gasped. I spun on my heel to face Josh, my childhood friend. “Oh my God, what are you doing here?”

He ignored my question and instead asked, “What happened to you?!”

I had forgotten I looked horrible. I had to think fast, “I um… was sleep-walking and fell down the stairs and… um… hit my head on the banister… I’m such a klutz.” I could tell by the look on his face he didn’t believe me so I asked, “What’s wro-…”

He cut me off by lifting up my shirt, I screamed in surprise. He was silent he mouth agape staring at my torso where there were bruises and cuts. “M-my God… What h-happened?” He stuttered still staring at me.

“I told you I-…”

He cut me off again, “DON’T LIE TO ME!” He yelled.

“I-it’s none of your business,” I said finally grabbing my shirt and pulling it back into place.

In response to my answer he asked, “Did he do this to you?”

I stood there silently a little in shock. I’m assuming he took it as a yes because then he walked out of the bathroom. I swear I heard him say I’m going to kill him.

He stomped down the hall toward Damian’s room I ran and grabbed his arm begging him to stop. He just continued to walk as if I wasn’t there. Josh slammed the door to Damian’s room open. Damian was standing at the window his hand over his face barely paying attention to the door.

Josh stormed in right over to Damian and punched him square in the face; Damian fell back to the floor. I ran over to Damian and started to yell at josh, “What are you think you’re doing?!”

Josh stared at me with wide eyes and said, “What am I doing? WHAT AM I DOING?! Haley why do you let him do that to you!? I’d never do that to you!”

“Josh I know you wouldn’t…”

Right as I said that Damian got up and walked over to Josh, I could tell they were both angry. Josh went to punch Damian but instead Damian punched Josh. I screamed and they both looked at me and said, “Are you ok?” in unison.

I stood up shaking, “I’m fine.” As I said that I got that feeling where it’s like, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!! I was drawing short of breath. I was beginning to breathe quite heavily, I was so scared. More than I’ve ever been, and trust me I’ve had some horrible experiences. The boys were about to start fighting again so I stepped in and told them not to.

“Whatever Haley,” said Josh annoyed that I was trying to get them to stop fighting.

“Josh… I-I’m sorry…” I barely managed to stutter.

“For what?!” yelled Josh, “You didn’t do anything! You never do, you hardly ever made mistakes. Haley anything he said you did probably isn’t true it was just his excuse to hurt you! He’s just a jerk who needs to learn that if he ever hurts you again I will kill him!”

I stood there in shock, maybe Josh was right. No, he was right. I smiled and said, “Go ahead.”

Josh smiled also and replied, “I’m glad you’ve finally decided to agree with me.” Josh turned around to face Damian who was just standing there in shock I stood up to them.

Damian started to walk out the door with the look like, this isn’t worth it but Josh grabbed his arm. Damian grabbed Josh’s hand and pulled it off his arm. Then threw Josh into the wall, personally I knew who had that hurt coming from Damian. He started walking toward me as Josh slid down the wall to his knees and onto his face. Damian must have knocked him out, I thought to myself. Damian put his hand out, I shied away thinking he was about to hit me. But instead he put his hand down on my head and leaned in close to my ear.

He kissed my cheek and whispered, “I’ll be back for you.” Then he turned around and walked out the door leaving me with an unconscious Josh and nowhere to go. This was Damian’s house, my parents were on a cruise, I can’t call the police, and I have no way to get to Josh’s house since Damian took my car away from me awhile ago. I was really in a tight spot, so I tried to wake Josh up. To my surprise it worked.

Josh opened his eyes and looked at me; as soon as he saw me he jumped to his feet and asked, “Where’d he go?”

“He left,” I replied.

Josh looked greatly relieved as he hugged me tightly. It hurt a little but I wasn’t going to say anything to him about it. So I hugged back, we bother were smiling at each other. “Let’s get out of here,” Josh suggested.

I grabbed his wrist and replied, “Yes let’s.” I walked around the house with Josh gathering things I needed, once I was finished I led him outside then stopped, I had just remembered I didn’t have a car.

Josh must have seen my expression because he said, “its ok my car is across the street.” I smiled and kept walking till we reached his car, he got in the driver’s side and I walked around to the passenger side and got in.

We drove to his house and I walked in the front door without knocking, there was no need to. His family knew and loved me. I looked around and finally rested my eyes on Josh. “My family’s gone for the month,” He said.

I had been shocked and happy at the same time. I had really thought that I being with Josh would keep me safe forever, but I’ll never know the future. The door was unlocked and slowly opened; I slinked down farther behind the chair. Peering around from the edge I watched Josh put the groceries on the counter.

Josh walked out of the kitchen and out into the living room. He started rubbing his forehead as he spoke, “You can come out now Haley it’s just me.”

I slowly walked out from behind the chair and hugged him burying my face in his chest, “Sorry for hiding from you.”

He sighed when he saw some of the dry tears on my cheeks. He knew I was still traumatized from everything but he hated to see me cry. Josh rubbed his thumb across my cheek while asking, “What do you want to eat for dinner?”

I slowly looked up at him, “can we order pizza tonight?”

He laughed, “Sure, I’ll cook tomorrow.”

I stuck my tongue out at him, “then I’m defiantly not looking forward to tomorrow.” Then he patted me on the head and went to go put the groceries away. I blew some hair out of my eyes as I went towards the T.V. “Hey, I’m going to put in a movie!”

“Got it!” he yelled back.

I grabbed Juno out of the black movie cabinet and slid it into the DVD Player. I bounced over to the brown paint-chipped coffee table and grabbed my poetry book. I sat down on the couch barely paying attention to the movie that I already started only moments ago, and opened the book to begin reading. Every one of those poems I was now reading I had written sometime in the past, none of them truly happy in anyway.

I needed to release some stress and everything that was on my mind without venting to Josh. So I picked up my black ink pen and began writing, letting all my thoughts combine into one large thought on paper.

“In the darkness that’s confining me to this empty space of a life,

What hurts me the most is when you don’t see,

I love you,

You don’t love me,

I want you to be there when I’m crying,

I want to be held by you when I’m hurt.

You were my best friend,

Now you treat me like filth

I made a few mistakes in my past,

But yours are so much greater

Yet now I’m nothing more than a mistake and a beggar.

I wanted to help you,

When no one else could,

But I guess you don’t love me enough…

You moved on,

Left me behind,

I loved you… But you’re blind…

I told you not to be so crude,

I told you I meant what I said,

You called me magnificent,

Now what?

Just because you’re mad at me doesn’t mean you need to hurt me…

You’re no longer the one I’ll turn to…

Kick me to the side.

Abuse me beyond control.

Make bruises on my body.

I’ll never love you again…

My life is now worth living,

My death is not something I wait for anymore.
But your death is.”

I read everything I had just written over about four times before Josh finally walked in carrying the pizza. “I didn’t realize it came,” I said.

“That because you were too wrapped up in whatever you’re writing there,” Josh replied.

“What I can’t write now?” I tease him.

“No, No that’s not it,” He began to laugh, “It’s just its funny how wrapped up you get when you’re writing something, It’s like the whole world isn’t there anymore.”

“Oh well you know me, I-…”

“Wait, what’s that?” Josh asked hearing a noise.

I heard it too, I looked next to me on the couch and my cell phone was sitting there vibrating. I picked it up and answered it, “Hello?”

“You think your scared now, but you haven’t seen the half of it yet,” A raspy man’s voice from the other end replied.

“Who is this?” I asked a little confused.

“My name is of no importance but I’ll have you know I’m watching you. Don’t let your guard down. It could result in the end of you.” With that the man hung up.

I slowly shut my phone quivering; I knew it had something to do with Damian. Josh was staring at me with a concerned look on his face. He sat down next to me and gave me a hug, “its ok, no need to cry.”

I hadn’t even realized I’d started crying, “Josh I’m so scared though.”

“It’ll be ok I promise, just tell me what they said to you,” He replied.

I told him everything that had just happened crying more with every word. Josh kissed my forehead and told me to get some sleep. I buried my head in the couch pillow, “I’m going to sleep out here tonight if you don’t mind,” I mumbled into the pillow.

“Alright Haley, but you know if you need anything you can come wake me up at anytime,” Josh gave me a little smile as he turned around and headed towards his bedroom.

I smiled faintly as I lifted my head up and watched him shut the door to his bedroom. I turned over onto my side and went to sleep. My sleep that night was a dreamless one.

I woke up to the sound of something crashing; I sat up on the couch quickly making myself dizzy. I looked around swiftly seeing nothing in the darkness; I stood up slowly and walked towards Josh’s room carefully. “Josh? Josh, is that you? What was that crashing noise?” Everything I said was just answered with complete and utter silence. I was beginning to become panicked, “Josh?! Answer me! Please? That is you right!?” I spun on my heel as I heard a noise from behind me. A dark figure was walking towards me slowly, “J-Josh?” I asked hesitantly. The figure nodded at me. “Oh okay, Thank God. I was getting so scared.”

When no response came I was scared again I took a step back from the person as they said, “you’re just too predictable.”

As soon as they had spoken I realized it wasn’t Josh’s voice. My eyes widened as I screamed, “JOSH! JOSH! HEL-…” I was cut off by someone covering my mouth with a gloved hand from behind me. I thrashed but it had no effect on my captor, their grip was like iron. Finally my captor hit me over the head, knocking me unconscious. As my vision slowly faded I saw what the crash was, the window near the computer room.

Once I regained consciousness I was very groggy, almost as if I’d been drugged. As soon as my vision cleared up I could tell I was in some sort of a bedroom. I sat up in the bed slowly; I was free to move about. I stood up and walked towards the door as if something is going to jump out at any moment. I grabbed the handle firmly. Of course, it was locked. I went and plopped back down onto the bed just as the door opened. I closed my eyes tightly like if I couldn’t see them, they couldn’t see me.

I was wrong, they came over and sat down beside my head and brushed the hair from over my eyes. I knew that touch, I’d never forget it. I slowly opened my blue eyes to see Damian’s green eyes staring back at me. “Hello beautiful,” he said as sweetly as he used to before the beatings, “you look well.”

I couldn’t look away from his eyes, they had me mesmerized. That was one of the reasons I had fallen in love with him in the first place. “H-Hi,” I stuttered; I knew what ever was going to happen next could not be good.

“Baby… I still love you,” he almost whispered.

“W-what did y-you say?” I barely choked out, my chest hurt and it was hard to breathe.

“I’m truly sorry… really… I don’t know what I’d do if I lost you…”

I just stared at him in utter shock. I couldn’t believe he was saying that after everything he’s done to me. I jumped to my feet quickly almost hitting him in the face. “You think that makes up for everything you’ve done to me?!” My blood was beginning to boil from the anger, “You think SORRY Makes up for it all?! You don’t mean it! You NEVER do!”

He looked down at his feet as if he were truly sad. “Still… sorry…”

I began to feel bad for yelling at him. But then again, he deserved it. I sighed and sat down next to him. He looked up with tears at the rim of his eyes. “Tell me why you did it…”

“Did what?” He asked clearly puzzled.

“Tell me why you hurt me,” I responded wistfully.

“Because I thought if I hurt you, you’d never leave me… cause’ you’d be too scared…”

I shook my head, “if you would have just been nice and caring I would have never even considered leaving.”

He sighed, “Can we try again?”

“I’m sorry… I-I just don’t trust you anymore…” I replied.

He looked instantly hurt. He began to seem angrier as time went on with us just sitting there silently. Then he suddenly got up and stormed out of the room slamming the door behind him.

 I got up to follow him but the door wouldn’t open. “Damian? Damian comes back here right now!” I was yelling through the door while I continuously pounded my fists on the door. Randomly the door swung open and hit me, knocking me to the floor. I knew it… I just knew he’d never change, I thought to myself. Then I saw it. He had a knife in his hand. “Damian…” I said hesitantly, “why do you have a knife in your hand?”

“So we can be together…” He looked crazed.

“Damian this isn’t the answer… Please just put the knife down…” Fear was taking over my body.

“You’re just going to go running back to that useless friend of yours again, why not stay with me forever, in the afterlife? I’ll never have to worry about you again that way. We’ll be together. Once you’re dead I’ll kill myself to be with you… I promise.”

I scooted till my back was against the wall then I slowly stood up. As he came closer to me I realized he left the door open, I had to wait for the perfect moment. If I went too soon I could die. When he was close enough he brought his arm back ready to plunge it into me, I charged. I ran as fast as I could towards the door and slammed it behind me; I didn’t have the key so I couldn’t lock it. I kept running I ran through the house and out the door into the street. Then I froze. Oh no…I didn’t realize how late it was… it has to be past midnight… I thought to myself.

Knowing or not knowing what time it was didn’t make me stop running, I took off down the street as fast as I could, I looked back to see him chasing me still. “HELP ME!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!” I screamed as loud as I could but no one came to my rescue. The adrenaline in my system was at its peak, I looked back once more to see him close enough to where if he wanted to throw it, it’d hit me. I kept my eyes on him gaining speed; I went to turn back around to see where I was going right as I ran into a man. “Please sir, help me?” I was begging for help.

“Haley?” a familiar voice asked.

I began to cry again as I jumped into his arms. “Josh, he kidnapped me…”

“It’s ok now, I’ve got you. You’ll be fine I pro-…”

“Oh Haley,” Damian called from behind me.

Oh dear god how I hate that voice now… I thought to myself. I turned to face him, still protectively cradled in Josh’s arms. “Damian I hate you! Just go away!”

“Oh but this is so much more fun,” He responded.

“Not for me it’s not!” I yelled at him and looked down to see josh dialing a number on his cell phone that was at his side, Josh was staring at Damian pretending he wasn’t doing anything.

Damian went on a long monologue type thing as the operator picked up, “Hello, 911 what’s your emergency?”

“A crazed man is in front of us with a knife threatening to kill my friend and them himself,” Josh told the lady quickly.

“Alright sir, just stay calm. Where are you located?” The lady asked. Josh gave the lady the address, “Ok the police are on their way.”

I sighed in relief, finally true help was coming. Damian finished up his monologue thing and stared at us. “Now then,” he pulled back his arm, “any last words my sweet?”

I looked at him in disgust as I stepped out of Josh’s arms, “yes actually. I do have something to say.” I paused hoping to buy a little time.

“Spit it out already or I’ll kill you where you stand!”

I looked at my feet for a second then snapped my head up and stepped into his face, causing him to backup. Once I got to a point where I knew he could feel my breath I said, “I hope you rot in prison. I hope when you die the devil will take you as his son. I pray that when you’re dead, you burn in the fiery pits of the underworld.” I spat in his face then continued, “I swear on the Angel, that I Haley Morgenstern will undoubtedly watch you die with a smile on my face. I’ll rejoice once I see that gravestone, I’ll eat next to it. The pain and suffering you made me feel will be passed on to you. You will die very soon. The Angels of Death are near, but for you. Not for me.” I took a step back to see a surprised look on his face.

            Even I knew nobody swore on the Angel. It was the most powerful swear in the world. He hesitated to long, as soon as he had regained his posture almost 6 police cars came around the corner. He cussed as he tried to make a run for it, though it was useless. The cops closed-lined him and he fell to the ground cussing up a storm.

            I clung onto Josh again as I watched the cops walk away with Damian. I never wanted to let him go. I had been so scared when I approached Damian but it’s all over now. “See I promised you,” Josh smirked at me.

            “Yeah I know, thank you for everything,” I smiled at him.

            “There is nothing to thank me for,” he replied looking into my eyes.

            My heart was beginning to beat faster and I leaned into him. “Take me home now?”

“Of course Haley,” he kissed the top of my head and picked me up bridal style, then carried me over to the cops, “officer we’ll come down to the station tomorrow, we’re both beat.” The officer nodded and Josh carried me to his car that was sitting down the road.

“Thanks again Joshie,” I said as he sat me down and buckled me in, “I can do that myself you know.”

“I know but I wanted to do it,” we both laughed.

Josh got into the driver’s side of the car, and started the car. On the way home I turned away from the window and stared at him. “Josh…”

He pulled up to a stop sign, “What’s wrong Haley?” he asked looking at me.

“Nothing’s wrong… It’s just that well…”

Josh drove the last block to his house and parked the car. “Come on Haley, tell me.”

“It’s just that well… I think…” I kept hesitating; I couldn’t get the words out of my mouth.

“What I’m trying to say is you’re my best friend. But… well, I-I’m in l-love with y-y-you.” I dropped my voice very low and stuttered a lot as I told him I loved him.

“Are you serious?” he replied.

I dropped my face down. “I’m sorry… I know that it’s pro-...” I was cut off by fingers lightly grabbing my chin and tilting it up, soft, warm, caring lips crushed into mine.

My eyes flew open in surprise and slowly began to close them again. I felt so happy and normal like this. He then broke the kiss and got out of the car; he walked over to my side and opened my door. Then he picked me up once again in bridal style and carried me into the house. He carried me all the way into his bedroom and laid me down there, and then he climbed in next to me.

“I’ve loved you for a long time Haley, really I have.” Josh kissed my cheek.

“I’m so happy to hear you say that Josh,” I could feel tears of joy stinging my eyes.

“Me too,” he smiled, “let’s get some sleep though, we have to go down to the station tomorrow.”

“Yes, let’s sleep. Goodnight Josh, I love you,” my eyes began to close sleepily, “please,” I yawned, “don’t ever leave me… and please… don’t hurt me.”

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Haley. I’ll never purposely hurt you. And now, I swear on the Angel, that I Josh Fray will always love you.” The last thing I heard that night before I fell asleep to dream of our future was, “Forever.”

 “Forever,” I confirmed in a whisper.

© 2011 Haley Hisel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

483 Views
Added on June 17, 2011
Last Updated on June 17, 2011

Author

Haley Hisel
Haley Hisel

No-wheres-ville , WA



About
Hi I'm a girl who loves to write. I write poems to short stories to skits for drama class. I love watching anime and reading manga. I'm not the happiest person in the world but ill make it through. I .. more..

Writing
Insane? Insane?

A Stage Play by Haley Hisel


LIFE LIFE

A Poem by Haley Hisel