The Reader

The Reader

A Story by Hatter
"

A girl can read minds. She meets a boy who can too, a special connection grows between them until his family finds out. Her whole world crashes as family secrets are revealed and relationships form.

"

The library was the only place she felt she could relax. She knew when she went there she could completely lose herself in the books. The words would circle her mind, the paragraphs would take her to far off lands, and the chapters would change her. Everytime she went to the library she would walk up the giant wood polished stairs, then she would wander through the shelves having one destination in mind, her corner. That’s what she called it. It was the best place on Earth and it was all hers. It was a table in the corner of the library right next to one of the giant windows that were everywhere. It was perfect, the summer light would shine right through having no need to use the lamps that were on every desk. Then in the fall and winter she could watch the leaves fall off the trees and eventually the snow too. As she turned the corner of a bookshelf she saw her corner empty, like it always was, and welcoming. A smile appeared on her face and as she took a seat, placing down some books she had found on her way there. She looked out the window watching some birds fly past.

Here she could think. Here she could be herself; she could be Myla. She could have her own thoughts, without everyone else's thoughts filling her mind. It was annoying being able to read everyone else’s thoughts. The corner was the only place Myla could be free of everyone else, she could think her own thoughts. Here she could fill her mind with the calming words of books.

At home it was painful, having a mom who controlled everything from what she could wear to school to what she ate. Thoughts from her mom were always the same, what to make “perfect” next, what was wrong in the house, what she had to do for work, etc. Myla’s mind would crush under the rigidity of her mother’s thoughts. Then there was her dad’s thoughts. His were disgusting. He was always thinking about some other woman, who could satisfy him more than his wife. He imagined his life without Myla’s mom. He thought of leaving, all the time. Myla hated her dad, even, especially when he tried to get close to her. She knew her dad had long ago forgotten what she could do. So whenever he tried to get close she could read how he only got close to her when he was close to leaving.

Myla didn’t want him to leave, not because she actually loved him, but because she knew of he left he would break her siblings hearts. Tyler and Kate, the twins, are only ten years old. They both have the same caramel skin, with curly black hair, and bright hazel eyes that shone whenever they were happy and excited. Myla was never really bothered by their thoughts, they were just so random, and crazy that they had become an annoyance, and every once in awhile she just needed a break from them.Today for example, today her whole world broke.

Her dad had finally left. Myla didn’t even see it coming. He must have finally decided when he left for work or at work. He called the house right as Myla had gotten home. She had walked into their warm house the door closing behind her letting none of the cold winter air get inside. As soon as her shoes were off and into the neat shoe closet the phone rang. Myla could Tyler and Kate running around on the second floor.

“Phone!” she called out. No one answered back.

“Phone!” she yelled even louder to be heard.

“Can you get it!?” Myla’s mom’s voice called back from the kitchen. She sighed, picking up the black phone from the table next to the black leather couch.

“Hello.” she said into the phone.

“Hey Myla it’s me.” her dad replied.

“Who is it!?” came her mom’s voice again.

“Dad!” Myla yelled back.

“Is that your mom?” her dad’s voice came from the phone.

“Yeah.”

“Can you pass the phone to her.”

“Sure” she shrugged forgetting he couldn’t see that. She took the phone to the kitchen passing it to her mom, who had just finished washing the dishes, and was currently drying her hands with the drying towel that hung from the dishwasher right under the sink. Myla stuck out the phone for her mother to take. Her mom grabbed the phone a look of annoyance quickly appearing on her face that change to anger.

Myla walked out letting them talk. As she reached the carpeted stairs to go to her room a thought struck her. It was from her mom. Oh so you finally left you jerk! Myla quickly turned around and walked swiftly to the kitchen moving to stand next to her mom who was sitting at the table. Her shaking hand held the phone tightly. As soon as Myla was next to her, her mom looked up at her. Hatred and sadness filled her eyes, Myla asked with her eyes if he was really gone. Her mother said nothing, instead she sent Myla a thought. He’s gone.

Myla’s face distorted into anger and she ran out of the kitchen jamming her feet into some shoes and she ran out of the house. She ran straight to the library. Outside she stopped to catch her breath. As soon as she walked in the library her whole body relaxed, and she calmly walked to her corner. Now here she was looking out the window, her mind blank.

She knew she would have to go home sometime. She would have to help her mom calm down the twins, she would have to help her mom not break down, and she would have to not let their thoughts crush her. She sighed laying her head on her arms. Her eyes still looking out the window.

She breathed one long deep breath. Then she stood up. Her eyes filled with determination. She would get through this, for her family. Then she walked out of the library ready to face her family, and the mess her dad left behind.

The next day at school Myla could feel the pity coming off of everyone as she walked down the long dusty hall. People’s eyes were filled with pity, their thoughts made Myla feel even worse. When she had arrived home she had helped her mom tell Tyler and Kate about their dad, then she had to help calm them when they burst into tears. They had cried themselves to sleep. As she watched her siblings Myla’s heart hardened, her stupid dad had left such beautiful children behind, children whose hearts were now broken.

Myla ignored people’s stares, but of course she couldn’t ignore their thoughts. She turned up the volume on her headphones trying to block out the thoughts, but that did little. Once she finally arrived in class she took a seat in the back of the room away from everyone, including her best friends, Sarina and Ed. As she passed by them she gave them the I want to be alone look, and she knew they would both understand. Everyone else trickled in followed quickly by the teacher ready to begin his boring class where Myla definitely wouldn't pay attention. She didn’t pay attention when the teacher introduced the new guy. She didn’t pay attention when he sat next to her.

What finally got her attention was the fact that no thoughts came from the guy that was sitting next to her. Not a single thought, as though he wasn’t thinking anything. She was surprised. She turned to look at him. He had long wavy hair that hung in front of his face. His eyes were a pale grey, and he was smiling at Myla. It was a small secretive smile meant only for her. She frowned

Hi came a word. Myla’s frown deepened. I’m Demitri.

What? Was the only thing that popped into her head. This earned her a mental laugh.

How? Was her next question.

How? Well… I’m like you. I can read people’s thoughts, and honestly yours are pretty loud.

Excuse me?

Yeah they hurt my head.

Yeah sure.

Could you read my thoughts?

Well… no but-

You can’t read my thoughts because I have a mental wall.

Ah a mental wall. He smirked. Myla smirked back and looked towards the front of the room, trying her best to ignore Demetri’s presence.

It helps you know.

What? She snapped.

Putting up the wall. No one hears you, and you can’t hear anyone. Myla noticed his voice was heavy with sadness and pity.

You know what they all think of me. She stated her voice hardening.

Yeah.

Please don’t pity me. She told him softly. For some reason she didn’t want to have his pity, she wanted his support.

I’m sorry. I won’t. He replied. Then his voice, along with his presence disappeared. She realized he had put up his wall again, and it made Myla feel disappointed and empty. She tried to tune into the lecture that the teacher was giving, but she ended up not paying attention after all. When the bell rang and everyone started to leave Myla sent Demetri a thought.

Teach me how to put up a wall. Please. Then she headed for the door, but at the door one thought came to her.

Meet me at lunch in the parking lot. Myla smiled to herself, as she headed to her next class.

Lunch felt so far away. Myla was becoming impatient, urging time to move faster so she could meet up with Demetri. As the bell rung before lunch Myla rushed to her locker to dump all her books, but she was met with Sarina and Ed waiting for her.

“Lunch?” Sarina asked her long blonde hair tied up in a bun, and her green eyes full of excitement.

“Can’t, I’m meeting up with someone, sorry.” Sarina’s face fell, her eyes losing its excitement.

“Who you meeting?” asked Ed who stood behind Sarina leaning towards the girls since he was taller. His short brown hair turning a lighter shade in the streams of sunlight coming from the entrance, his dark curious eyes burning into Myla.

“Um…” Myla stuttered.

“Come on tell us. You walked in to school today looking like a mess, and suddenly your mood brightened. So, who is it?”  Ed continued.

“It’s the new guy, Demetri.” Myla gave in knowing that Ed wouldn’t let it go.

“Ooh” Sarina said smiling. Myla just rolled her eyes, told them she had to go and headed to the double doors a few feet away. She turned and waved at them, then she slipped through out into the cold.

Demetri was standing outside his hands shoved in a gray sweater that hung loosely, leaning against the stair railings.

“Hey.” He said when he saw. Myla was taken aback realizing that was the first word he had spoken to her outloud.

“Yeah well before we were talking in our minds.” he stated. Making Myla embarrassed for her thoughts.

“So where are we going?” she asked.

“Somewhere you can relax.” He replied giving her a smile, one that warmed her body.

“I know the perfect place.” She returned his smile. Then she started walking towards the library. He walked right beside her making small talk, and pulling her from the darkness.

© 2017 Hatter


Author's Note

Hatter
This is only the beginning, feedback will really be helpful and maybe ideas to continue with. Please don't hold back on you opinions or feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The story is so enjoyable. I really wish it were a book and this were the first chapter, so I could read more.

PS
The names of the characters are really unique. I love them!

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is a really fun plot, and it's really captivating too! I really enjoyed it so far! Please update soon!

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 9, 2017
Last Updated on December 9, 2017

Author

Hatter
Hatter

Writing
Letting Go Letting Go

A Story by Hatter


Rain Rain

A Story by Hatter


Us Us

A Poem by Hatter