My Ghost

My Ghost

A Story by Hatter
"

A girl struggles with a hidden part of herself.

"
My ghost follows me wherever I go. I can see it in my reflection, moving when I stand still. I can see it in the shadows of the trees, wanting to get closer. I have not told anyone about it. I can’t. I know that if I do it will strike. It will hurt whoever I tell, it's happened before. I told my best friend Molly, a week later her body was found in the lake behind the school. They say she must have slipped in and drowned since she didn’t know how to swim. I know that is not what happened. Molly was terrified of the lake, she wouldn’t get anywhere near it. I know the ghost did it. It did it because I had told her. I’ve had the ghost since I was a little kid. Except then it was stable, it had a form and it could talk to me. I thought it was my friend, that is until it began to get me in trouble. I remember feeling it take control. It would seep in through my fingers traveling until it reached my mind. There it would cover it in darkness. A darkness so dark that it numbed me. Then my mind would blank. I could feel it moving my hands and making me say things I didn’t mean. I always had to use all my strength to push it out. Leaving me with painful headaches. As I got older it slowly retreated into the background. It stopped taking control, but it continued to follow me around. If someone were to ask me to describe it I would say then it looked like me, almost a reflection of me, but it’s eyes were a dark deep black. Now it is a black shadow still shaped like me with two even darker holes for eyes that I knew were always watching. I don’t know where it came from or why it follows me. I have always wondered. I spent most of the days ignoring it, but then it got bored. It started showing up around my younger sister. She was always laughing around it. As I saw it grow attached to her I knew that couldn’t happen. I didn’t want her to grow up with that thing around her. I wouldn’t let that happen. I guess that is why I let it control me again. At first I gave it an hour, that quickly grew to a day, that turned into days. I couldn’t stop it from growing, my strength was depleting. I could feel my mind leaving me. I didn’t think or feel anything anymore. I saw life happening without me, but there was nothing I could do to take my body back. I had let it grow and consume me. I know I should have been scared, but I wasn’t, I was happy. My sister would not have to live with the ghost. Then it clicked. I hadn’t kept the ghost away. I had only brought it closer to her. I let it take me and in turn I had left my sister with it in my body. That thought destroyed me, it crushed my heart. How could I have possibly done the worst thing possible? I began to push back, but I could feel the ghost pushing. I wouldn’t let it win, for my sister, for her future. I fought with all I had left, I pushed until I had some control back. Then I went to the lake. Neither of us came back. I left my sister, my life and myself behind.

© 2018 Hatter


Author's Note

Hatter
Just a short fun story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I just watched a scary ghost movie and I feel like I just watched another one reading this. It's good, It tells of a person being possessed and at the end they had to make the biggest sacrifice.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Hatter

6 Years Ago

Thank you.
Damn ain't gonna lie that's kinda deep, in a way it reminded me of drugs.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 5, 2018
Last Updated on January 5, 2018

Author

Hatter
Hatter

Writing
Letting Go Letting Go

A Story by Hatter


Rain Rain

A Story by Hatter


Us Us

A Poem by Hatter