The Dream Maker and the Nightmare

The Dream Maker and the Nightmare

A Story by Hatter
"

Can two very different beings coexist?

"
The Dream Maker appears at, what many people call, the witching hour. He comes when children sleep, when parents snore, and when animals warm up by the fire. He looks like an old man, a long white beard drips from his chin to his waist. He is always surrounded by dreams, dreams that take the shape of bubbles. These bubbles are always floating around the Dream Maker’s head, so if anyone were to see him he would be a blurred image in a cloud of bubbles. There is one flaw, one could say, that the Dream Maker possesses, he is blind. His eyes are a stark milky white, empty. For even a man who seems like a god must have a flaw. His blindness takes away from him the ability to see the beautiful world or the calm faces of children as they sleep, but he has never let his blindness interfere with his work. Although he cannot see he had learned to feel the objects and emotions around himself, and this is how he can still, in a way, see the world.
No one knows where the Dream Maker came from, not even the oldest living creatures could remember a time before the Dream Maker. He seems as old as father time himself. Of course his age is no hindrance but an advantage, for he has lived years and his knowledge and wisdom seem to be infinite. 
The Dream Maker travels around the world giving all people who sleep a dream. For a child he gives them joy, filling their sleep with playing and toys. For parents and adults he gives them calmess, he gives them dreams of lonely beaches, reading by the fire, and anything that helps them relax after a long day. He gives dreams of love to those who yearn for it, and dreams of work for those workaholics who can never get enough.

The other beings that live in the same world as the Dream Maker are the Nightmares. Dark shadows that slip into a dreaming mind and grow like parasites, turning a dream about relaxing on a beach, to facing a giant flood, or being surrounded by giant spiders. Nightmares come in many shapes and sizes, from natural disaster to traumas or phobias. Nightmares are the things children fear at night. They can even terrify an adult, making them wake up covered in sweat and panting. Nightmares are feared by all. 
Although Nightmares are awful beings they do not wish to cause fear, instead they want to become dreams that make others happy. So the Nightmares seek out the Dream Maker to be transformed. The Dream Maker helps all the Nightmares that come to him, fulfilling their wishes, and transforming them into beautiful dreams. Ridding them of the darkness and filling them with light, and joy.
Of course not all Nightmares want to become dreams, there are a few that crave the fear they cause. They are dark, poisoned beings that travel the world and bring fear into the minds of all. One particular Nightmare has grown and darkened over millenia. It is as dark as the bottom of the sea, so dark that no light can be seen in it. This Nightmare has lived almost as long as the Dream Maker, but it has avoided him. The Nightmare does not want to become a dream, it lusts for the fear it causes. It hides in shadows avoiding the Dream Maker as he makes his rounds. They are enemies, the Dream Maker and the Nightmare, but enemies that no nothing of each other. They have left each other alone, avoiding each others paths, but why? 
Why is it that they have not faced each other, have not fought until one is gone from this world?
Well it is possible, that they admire the other, and so cannot come face to face. Yes the Nightmare does not want to become a dream, but it wonders about the god like being that has changed so many of its kind. While the Dream Maker wonders about the dark thing that raises so much fear that even all the other Nightmares fear it. 
What they do not know is that they will face each other because in this world fate cannot be changed. And these two are fated to meet.

The Dream Maker was in the middle of one his rounds when he first met the Nightmare, and the Nightmare was resting after having awoken a whole family with awful nightmares. The Dream Maker came up a giant dark Nightmare, to a human eye it would be almost like a giant blob of dark shadows, and was shocked by the darkness it had decided to surround itself in. The moment the two laid eyes, well really the Nightmare laid eyes on the Dream Maker while he felt the Nightmares presence, on each other they were surprised and disappointed. Their expectations of each other not molding to what they were seeing. 
The Nightmare was disappointed by the old man surrounded by bubbles. The Nightmare could not believe this aged man had changed so many Nightmares into dreams. While the Dream Maker was shocked by the true darkness of the Nightmare, he did not expect such a horrible thing. 
“So you are the Dream Maker?” the Nightmare asked. The Dream Maker nodded, “You are not as grand and spectacular as I thought you would be.”
“What is it that you expected?” the Dream Maker responded, and the Nightmare shrugged.
“I guess I must have expected a spry young man, who radiated light, not a withered old man,” 
“Well I’m sorry to disappoint you,”
“And what is it that you think of me?” asked the Nightmare, curious about the Dream Makers opinion. The Dream Maker paused.
“I think that you are much bigger than I thought you would be, and darker” 
“Why, thank you,” the Nightmare said. Then the Dream Maker sat down cross legged across from the Nightmare. The two sat for a moment getting used the other’s company.
“May I ask you something, Nightmare?” the Dream Maker said.
“Ask away.”
“Why is it that you do not want to change? Why do you not wish to become a dream like so many of your kind do?” The Nightmare said nothing in return, taking a moment to gather his thoughts.
“I think, Dream Maker, that I do not wish to become a dream, because dreams are too happy. One’s life cannot always be joyous and carefree. I think that if I stay as a Nightmare I keep this world in balance. Where there is light there must be darkness and where there is darkness there must be light,” The Dream Maker pondered the Nightmare’s words.
“I guess you have a point Nightmare”
“Of course I--”
“--but I also must argue with you,”
“Why is that?”
“I believe that humans should be allowed to have happy, joyous dreams. Yes they must face the dark, but the world they live in seems dark enough. I give beautiful dreams because they already have that darkness, and as you said both dark and light must coexist.”
The Nightmare was taken aback by the truth of the Dream Makers words. It said nothing for a moment, questioning its whole life. Could it be true it thought is there no need for darkness in the dreams. When it began to question its existence the Nightmare began to panic.
“Then tell me Dream Maker, what am I here for? What is my purpose? Why do I exist?” The Dream Maker didn’t reply instead he stood up, his cloud of bubbles following his movements. 
“That is why Nightmare, come with me and I will show you the joy of dreams,” the Dream Maker stuck out his hand for the Nightmare and it took his hand, using it to pull itself up. 
“Please Dream Maker,” the Nightmare said, “show me. Please.” 
The Dream Maker took the Nightmare to a house on farm. He lead the Nightmare to the room of two sleeping twins, a girl and a boy. 
“Watch carefully,” the Dream Maker whispered. Then two of the bubbles in the cloud began to glow, they floated away from the rest and drift toward the children. The Dream Maker took both the bubbles in his hands and squeezed them until they popped. Then golden dust fell from the bubbles onto the children’s heads. The Nightmare watched fascinated as small smiles appeared on the twins faces. The smiles touched the Nightmare’s soul, a soul he didn't even know he had, and a small burst of light appeared in the middle of the Nightmare’s body. He looked down at the light astonished, and the Dream Maker smiled having felt the small light appear inside the Nightmare.
“This is the amazing effect that dreams have on humans, is it not beautiful?” asked the Dream Maker. The Nightmare nodded, still frozen in amazement. Then the two left the house and the Nightmare followed the Dream Maker as he gave dreams around the world. When the Dream Maker was done he offered the Nightmare a deal, “Come and live with me Nightmare, and I shall show you beauty and happiness,” the Nightmare agreed. 

The two lived together for millennia. The Dream Maker continued to show the Nightmare how to give dreams, and the Nightmare became more and more full of light. 
They were happy, enjoying their lives bringing happiness to others, but these good times could not last forever. 
One day the Dream Maker did not make his rounds instead he laid in bed staring at the ceiling of his tiny cottage up in the clouds. 
“Nightmare,” he called.
“Yes Dream Maker,”
“I do not feel well today, will you go make my rounds please,”
“Of course,” the Nightmare said and left the Dream Maker in his frozen state. The Nightmare was not worried, he believed the Dream Maker would be better the next day; but the next day came and the Dream Maker was no better. The Dream Maker stayed in bed like the day before, but he this time he said nothing. When the Nightmare tried to get him to talk the Dream Maker seemed not to even notice the Nightmare. So the Nightmare went out and did the rounds. 
Three days passed in similar fashion and the Dream Maker did not improve. On the fourth day he talked once again.
“Nightmare” he whispered, and the Nightmare quickly went to his side, “Nightmare, I think I am dying.”
“What do you mean Dream Maker? You cannot die yet. You are still very young,” the Dream Maker smiled.
“Thank you, but my time is coming soon,” 
“No… no,”
“Do not worry Nightmare I will die in peace,”
“You will not die Dream Maker, you still have so much life in you,” the Nightmare said his voice cracking.
“Nightmare, when I die--”
“--You will not die.”
“When I die would you like to take my place Nightmare?” the Nightmare was shocked and said nothing.
“When I leave this world someone must keep giving dreams. I believe you will make a great Dream Maker, Nightmare.”
“I… I…”
“Please Nightmare, there is no one else.”
“I can’t,” the Nightmare said tears flowing from his eyes, that had began to form. As the Dream Maker began to die, the Nightmare was becoming something else. He no longer was a blob of shadows, now he was in the form of a human. His head with a mop of bright silver hair, and a hard body formed. He seemed almost a completely different being, except for his eyes. His eyes were a dark black, deep and dark, the only thing that remained of the Nightmare he had once been.
“Why is it that you refuse?” asked the Dream Maker.
“I cannot become someone like you, have you forgotten I was once a Nightmare. A dark horrible thing, I cannot become something full of light, something like you.”
“But my dear Nightmare. Do you not see yourself, you have already changed, you are no longer a Nightmare but a being of light,” the Nightmare turned to the mirror near the Dream Makers bed and saw his reflection. He saw a young man with tears flowing down his face, who was radiating light.
“That is me?” asked the Nightmare
“Yes. You are no longer a Nightmare but one like me.”
“But I cannot take your place Dream Maker. I just cannot,” the Dream Maker sighed deeply, then he turned to the Nightmare.
“Amani, my true name is Amani,” the Dream Maker said.
“Amani,” the Nightmare turned the name in his mouth, “it suits you.”
“Yes, I think it does,” Amani replied, “and now let me give you a name Nightmare, a name meaning light, for that is what you have become, how about Favin?” 
The Nightmare smiled and agreed to the name, although he did not feel he truly deserved it.
“Now Favin, with this new form of yours and this new name will you take my place? Will you become the Dream Maker?”
“I do not know.”
“Favin,” Amani said and reached out and grabbed Favin’s hand, “you are the only being in this whole world who can take my place.” Favin hesitated, but when he looked at Amani and saw the certainty in his face he knew what his answer had to be.
“Amani, it would be the greatest honor to take your place as the Dream Maker. I promise that I will make you proud.” Favin said. Amani smiled then his gaze turned to the ceiling and he sighed and closed his eyes, never to open them again.
The moment the last breath of life left the Dream Maker’s lungs the whole world darkened. The few dreams that still floated around his head turned dark and filled with shadows. The last sign of life that Favin saw from Amani was a tear falling from the old man’s eyes, and then he was gone. Favin cried for days, and around him the world began to crumble.
After Favin mourned Amani’s death he burned Amani’s body letting his ashes disperse into the sky. Then Favin began to create dreams, he searched for Nightmares and changed them. He turned the dark world that had formed after Amani’s death, back to one full of light.
Favin was not the last Dream Maker, the lineage will continue to be passed on forever. Favin treasured the memories he had with Amani and he shared his stories with anyone who would listen. On Favin’s deathbed he died peacefully knowing that Amani would have been proud of all his accomplishments. 
And thus ends the story between the Dream Maker and the Nightmare, one being of light and one of darkness that learned to coexist together and even became friends.

© 2018 Hatter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I shall have to go easy with the cheese on toast at supper time. I don't fancy a nightmare!
Thank you. That was enjoyable!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Dreamers must dream on
as long as the nightmare wakes them up
to greet with a bucketful of reality... :) Lovely story, different & unique characterized by imagination⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 19, 2018
Last Updated on April 19, 2018

Author

Hatter
Hatter

Writing
Letting Go Letting Go

A Story by Hatter


Rain Rain

A Story by Hatter


Us Us

A Poem by Hatter