The Last Moments

The Last Moments

A Story by Jami Nicole

She looked in the mirror and she didn’t like what she saw. She never did.

    She’s shaking; always shaking. Rocking back and forth.

    Back and forth.

    Back and forth.

    Her eyes trace her reflection; every aspect of her face. Her dark brown eyes, clear porcelain skin that never seemed right. She wore her hair up, blonde strands coming out of the bun that sat tall on her head. “I can do this.” She said to herself, a small tremble in her voice. Her makeup smeared and smudged across her face from when she had rubbed her eyes.

    The girl grabbed the edge of the bathroom counter, still staring at her reflection. She felt nothing except the hatred of herself.

    Dark thoughts flooded into her mind like the tears down her face. Why aren’t you good enough? Why don’t you have more friends? You should be prettier. You should be smarter. Don’t be so awkward. Don’t wear those clothes. No one loves you. No one wants to be around you.  Your hair is too tangled. Your face is too wide. Your pores are huge. Your skin is dry. Blah. Blah. Blah. S**t. S**t. S**t.

    Part of the tri-fold mirror was popped open, exposing bottles upon bottles of pills. Many were her mothers prescriptions; things such as pain killers, anti-depressants, blood thinners. Then there was her sisters muscle relaxants and the bottle of Midol. Of course they had the random assortment of pills most households had; Advil, sleep aids, and weight loss medications.

    She grabbed a bottle and popped of the lid, the bottle next to it falling to the counter with a clang. The girl jumped softly at the sound, and watched herself in the mirror. She took a deep breath as she put a pill in her mouth. Closing her eyes, she swallowed.

    And then she put another pill into her mouth. Followed by another. Then two more.

    She grabbed as many bottles as she could out of the cabinet and set them on the counter. Her delicate fingers opened the bottles, slowly one by one. She spilled the pills onto the counter, then reclosed her eyes as she mixed the pills together into a heaping mess of a pile. The different colors of medications blended and blurred together. She shook her head at herself.

    Picking up an empty bottle, the teenager jammed it into the dusty mirror. A crack split through the center and spiderwebbed its way to the edges. She screamed, her voice cracking through the sobs as a piece of the mirror fell to the counter and split in two. With her hands, she wiped her eyes, large smears of black spreading across her face like an inkblot test.

    Her arms were bare, with only one bracelet around her left wrist. She ripped it off and flung it across the small bathroom as she sniffled in a small breath. She was letting the effects of the pills take hold of her. She could feel them as they dissolved within her body and began to poison her.

    With the small piece of glass in her hand, she brought it to her wrist and sliced herself open. She winced at the pain, but soon couldn’t feel a thing as she cut over and over. Blood was pooling on the cabinet and floor beneath her.

    She was feeling light headed, putting her free hand up to her forehead and allowing blood to ooze onto her face as she lowered herself to the ground. The young girl dropped the glass to the floor and leaned against the counter. She reached to grab another handful of pills, only managing to spill the mess onto the floor.

    Scrambling to pick them up, she put as many of them as she could into her mouth, swallowing them dry. Soon the pills were gone, and she shook with panic. She took the glass in her hand once more and cut. Again and again.

Slice.

Gash.

Hack.

    The girl cried and screamed. She sank down to lay on the rug as she closed her eyes for the final time. Slowly, everything began to fade away before sudden darkness crashed down and the girl let out her final breath.

© 2013 Jami Nicole


Author's Note

Jami Nicole
I had to write a short story for my English class and this is the product. My friend Emily helped me with this as well.

I'll probably edit this later and expand it, but any comments on it as is would be greatly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Extremely powerful piece. I like that you decided not to give the girl a name, it really added to the universalness of suicide and mental illness to keep her anonymous. This is a very effective story, great job.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jamish, I know no one's reviewed this, but that's cause they're butts who don;t recognize awesome stories about suicide. LOVE YOU, BABY.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

384 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 8, 2013
Last Updated on April 8, 2013

Author

Jami Nicole
Jami Nicole

Minneapolis, MN



About
more..

Writing
Always Always

A Poem by Jami Nicole


Anxiety. Anxiety.

A Poem by Jami Nicole