Insomnia

Insomnia

A Poem by Ink Angel
"

A light hearted look at sleep deprivation

"

One minute I’m turning the pages, next I drop the book, as slumber catches up.

I love this feeling, sinking into to the depth of oblivion......

 But not for long, falling sinking, suspended in time,

 But then my body jumps out of its skin.  Where am I?   

Oh yes, I’m in the wide awake club now,

 This is my life, tomorrow I will be such be a miserable cow.

 Listening to the clock tic toc getting inside my head,

 Like waiting for a bomb to go off.

 A cars headlights catching the wardrobe as it passes,

 That face, staring back at me, with a pointy nose and piercing eyes.

 Close your eyes and count sheep one two, three, I’ll be here till eternity,

 Great, now I’ve got an itch, life s such a b***h.

 Feeling now like a dog with flea s, to top it all now I need to pee.

  Back in the safety of my bed, that’s a joke.

 But slumber comes again and I start to drift off,

 But now I m too hot, I let my foot dangle out of bed,

 Oh my God, but what if the boogie mans under my bed, he might run off with my leg.”

 Stop it! The inner voice says there nothing going on under your bed.

 Relaxation exercise seems to calm the mind, this is feeling fine.

 But no I’m still awake! A shroud of dense blackness surrounding me, suppressing me.

Terror as I feel a dead weight on my chest,

 I try to move, try to scream but nothing works

 Demon eyes staring back at me,

The sleep paralysis ghost is in my head, he stares at me from the end of my bed.

The Inner voice cries out “stop it,” this is not reality get a grip girl its called imagination, playing tricks and you’re falling for it.

 Dawns breaking now I can hear the birds....phew I’m never gonna get up for work.

 Calmness now is back in my head; just leave me alone now in my bed,

“Sleep sweet child of mine” I hear my Mum say, and then I’m gone.....

 But not for long the alarm shrieking in my ear,” come on get up dear”.

Great now I have to spend the rest of my day like a Zombie, feeling like I’ve got narcolepsy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2012 Ink Angel


Author's Note

Ink Angel
apologies for any grammar mistakes

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Arf, arf, great stuff, though N O laughing matter when you are stuck in the wide awake club and you want to be in the sparko bliss club.

I esp like the car headlights and the leg dangling from the bed dabs as they show just how wide awake, attentive, and observant you were.

And then that zombied out feeling to follow, eyes-closing ... zzzzzzzzzzzz ... head crashes to keyboard.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

feel awful for saying this but the font colour and highlighting put me off reading what is an interesting piece...:(

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ink Angel

11 Years Ago

Don't feel awful P.J thanks, thats great really dont like font and colours either was a mad moment, .. read more
Arf, arf, great stuff, though N O laughing matter when you are stuck in the wide awake club and you want to be in the sparko bliss club.

I esp like the car headlights and the leg dangling from the bed dabs as they show just how wide awake, attentive, and observant you were.

And then that zombied out feeling to follow, eyes-closing ... zzzzzzzzzzzz ... head crashes to keyboard.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A comical take on insomnia. Very relateable thoughts I'm sure amny of us go through. My self included. Nicely done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this poem is perfect as is! Please don't change a thing- how did you know the story of my life??? I love"great, now I've got an itch, life's such a b***h (paraphrasing) and the leg dangling! thanks

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gud work

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is clever. How perfectly you've captured the difficulty of sleep...and getting up in the morning after too little of it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This sounds awfully familiar to me - only got two hours sleep last night. I should be sleeping right now, but...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very funny indeed, I am an insomniac too. A creature of the night, so I can feel you on this subject.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

480 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 16, 2012
Last Updated on April 26, 2012
Tags: Life cycles, Life, Nature, Death and Love.

Author

Ink Angel
Ink Angel

Reading, United Kingdom



About
I love to write poetry, love to read poetry, love of graffiti, Art, Angels and photography. I have recently had my poem break of Day pubished and another about the Green man will be published soon :).. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..