Sculpture

Sculpture

A Poem by Mark

The Creator took flesh, sculpting it into
a form to make my hands tremble
and my mouth go dry at the sight
of such curvature perfection.

And he gave you eyes that
capture mine and lock;
freezing my brain yet
simultaneously melting my heart.

And last, he took a soul and split
it, half into a male, the other female.
And infusing two bodies he said, 'There,
let them long for, until they find each other.'

© 2013 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautifully written... I wrote my thesis in college on Plato's Symposium, which exerts that originally there were three sexes...man, woman and the union of man and woman. I won't go into the details, but basically the gods became angry at the pure joy experienced by the "united souls", and chose to split them down the middle and thus leave them always searching for their other half. Your piece reminds me of the story. There is a great movie called "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" that tackles the idea of this--it's an off the wall film, but there is a song called "The Origin of Love" that you might want to listen to...it will remind you of your piece :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark

10 Years Ago

Tbank you Sarah, I've long held the belief that divinity can be found in the union of male and femal.. read more



Reviews

This is among my best from you, you are good really good.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

thank you so much Cassie :)
Ha Mark Adam and Eve as if planned in an interesting poem that can be read as fun or as a serious piece. I am more of a Darwinian myself although it would be good sometimes to have someone to blame for our faults lol

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

Who's to say Darwinism and intelligent design are mutually exclusive? My father believed God worked .. read more
⊰ℛℛ⊱
Beautiful wire sculpture !

There is a saying, "God is coming, look busy." Truly I don't think man or woman has ever rested on their laurels, not really. We are always striving and surviving. Always looking for someone to share our lives with.

And sometimes we spend an eternity in our searching. But - as they say, there's time yet for a great many things, be vigilant and be diligent. :)


Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

yes sir! Vigilant and diligent! :) Thanks for reading my friend :)
dw817

10 Years Ago

Well for you I add DRIVE CAREFULLY ! You've got the biggest vehicle on the road so lotsa people wann.. read more
wow aint that the truth. It feels like that - a soul split in half. Wonderful poetry.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

Thanks TL, I think it does. :)
Extremely concise but extremely poetic. Three short stanzas and three levels of intimacy eloquently portrayed. The carnal first, where you speak of curves. Longing comes next, where you speak of eyes. And finally, the ultimate form of love. Not two souls, but two part of the same soul, searching for one another. Beautiful progression of thought. I think you captured something truly sublime. Thank you for sharing this!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark

10 Years Ago

thank you for reading Augustus! :)
Augustus

10 Years Ago

you're welcome :)
I like the way you have pieced this poem together and I think that the image works very well with it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

thank you sheema, I really liked that image as well. :)
Beautifully written... I wrote my thesis in college on Plato's Symposium, which exerts that originally there were three sexes...man, woman and the union of man and woman. I won't go into the details, but basically the gods became angry at the pure joy experienced by the "united souls", and chose to split them down the middle and thus leave them always searching for their other half. Your piece reminds me of the story. There is a great movie called "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" that tackles the idea of this--it's an off the wall film, but there is a song called "The Origin of Love" that you might want to listen to...it will remind you of your piece :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark

10 Years Ago

Tbank you Sarah, I've long held the belief that divinity can be found in the union of male and femal.. read more
I really, really think that this is a true thing, Mark. There is a perfect someone out there foer everyone and I have seen people searching for that something! When (if) they finally meet, it is like lightning bolts landing when their eyes lock. It is not a good thing when your soul mate lives on another continent and you are afraid to fly, though. It can be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

Another continent? You have a secret to tell Ang? :)
I loved the imagery here, Mark -- Excellent work as always. Your wording always tells the story perfectly and I loved that picture, too!

Posted 10 Years Ago


i enjoyed visualizing this poetry... it's really great! ^_^

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

637 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 8, 2013
Last Updated on September 8, 2013

Author

Mark
Mark

Dallas, TX



About
I"m a gypsy born in New Hampshire, raised in Alaska, schooled in Washington, raised a family in California. Recently settled in Houston area. Where to next? I don't really have to think about it, it j.. more..

Writing
Enemy Time Enemy Time

A Poem by Mark


Morning Coffee Morning Coffee

A Poem by Mark


For Valentine For Valentine

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


In my Head In my Head

A Poem by Mark


New Primitives New Primitives

A Poem by Mark


Forever Be Forever Be

A Poem by Mark