The moonlight is missing

The moonlight is missing

A Poem by Jeremy Baker

Do not trust the moonlight

for it steals about and conceals,

taking pleasure, security and certainty.

Fear remains, the chilled shiver,

the furtive look over one's shoulder.

The dread coldness where once

your blood flowed.

 

Death lives here.

The stars, should they shine at all,

are but heedless warning lights.

 

Run! Run!

 

That was not a breeze.

That was not an animal.

No face but yours, no mind but yours.

It slithers into your dreams, where nightmares foment.

Your mute screams, your open eyes, your paralysed thrashing

avail you of nought within the enveloping moonlight.

 

For you will come face to face with your desires;

and you will die within sight of them.

© 2013 Jeremy Baker


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

i'm a big fan of moonlight and this is a mockery! but, i kinda agree lol. beautiful words you got there. the night time is the time where the war begins within. i feel it sometimes. the unpleasant memories of failed relationships, the faces you should've forgotten but still linger there in the shadows of the places you're familiar with. but, the night time is also, ironically maybe, a time of peace. a time of deep sleep, a time of letting go, a time of allowance to be disappointed. anyway, this is a great poem, i must say. oh and hey, i assume that you know very lots about literature. i'm thinking maybe you could help me with my works? haha if you're interested you can go to my profile. anyway, amazing! keep it up!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jeremy Baker

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind review my friend :)
jonah

9 Years Ago

no problem!
Shades of sadness upon a stellar moon, first one I've read where the moon and stars were not so romantically inclined I think, a refreshing albeit darkly colored piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jeremy Baker

9 Years Ago

Thank you Frieda, much appreciated!
I have read this several times and each time I do, I notice something different.. It has me quite perplexed and confused actually.. I think that is why I am enjoying reading it over and over again, because I love puzzles and this one seems to be one that isn't easily figured out to me.. I will say I loved the flow.. there was a delicious build up of intensity right up to the end where you smacked the reader with a powerful punch... I mean wow... didn't see that one coming.. but then it makes me go back to the title, then back to the poem then back to ending again in this cycle.. they connect, but then they don't.. (at least not in my head)... I am going to have to save this one and come back... as it has me giggling with frustration at the moment.. but I love those kind of writes--- it's like finding a hidden, thought-provoking treasure when I do discover them..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jeremy Baker

9 Years Ago

I really look forward to your reviews; you're very kind and encouraging. Much appreciated :)
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

As I look forward to your talented, creative writes.. It is my pleasure:)
I actually loved the darkness of it, very powerful an different

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jeremy Baker

9 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
A splendid dark write...Thank you for penning...:).......................

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a wonderfully dark piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The ending is sharp and fierce. The setting worked well with your ending. Nice job! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


What a fierce feel... a fire of night that sets us to flames in the darkened dreams... The setting is brilliant and gripping.

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
:o
This is an incredible piece. It is clear you have skills in poetry, that is for sure. I love the way the opening line grabs you and pulls you in. Nice usage of font too.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jeremy Baker

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your lovely comments! I'm glad you enjoyed it:)
WOW... That was really so great ... i enjoyed it ,really I did..
Thanks for RR ... :)

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

953 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 16, 2013
Last Updated on December 16, 2013

Author

Jeremy Baker
Jeremy Baker

Busselton, South West, Australia



About
I'm a former English & Literature teacher who has always enjoyed the magic, power and simple romance of words well written. My favourite writers include Pablo Neruda, Liam O'Flaherty, Anthony Eaton.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Eyes Eyes

A Poem by Alessander