The Silences

The Silences

A Poem by J_Star

The silence of a cat

stalking its prey

The silence of a sleeping

child

The silence of algebra II

while the instructor

waits

for an answer

The silence of a woman

who can’t work out the words

The silence of a man

with nothing to say

The silence of rage

The silence of heat

The silence of death

 

The silence between ocean waves

The silence between friends

The silence between

Blips

on a heart monitor

 

Library silence

Pregnant silence

Expectant silence

Migraine silence

 

The silence during

the Consecration

 

The silence inside

a moving bus full of people

The silence inside

an empty school

The silence inside

your head

when you are

underwater

 

The silence after

the TV is turned off

The silence after

crickets

(and before

birds)

The silence

after

a car wreck

 

The silence when

you are alone

at 4:12 a.m.

with cracked words

 sweltering in your mouth

and no reason

to speak them

 

aloud

© 2013 J_Star


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You forgot elevator silence...nothing more quiet than an elevator full of people ;-)

This is fantastic, J...That last stanza really hit home. I can't tell you how many nights I've been lying awake, chewing on words, unable to spit them out, loathe to swallow them...

Exceptional.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

J_Star

10 Years Ago

*facepalm* totally elevator silence. and anticipatory silence.

the word "reason" in th.. read more
KAOlmsted

10 Years Ago

My absolute pleasure, on both.

Motive? Ha, trust me to come up with the word motive .. read more



Reviews

You had me hooked after a few lines. I thought I knew where this was heading, but you gave me a smack in the face by relating this to your previous poetry in< The silence after a car wreck".
I am thinking hard about what you finish this thought with, "no reason to speak them aloud".
Yes, I can see this time for silence. Much like the silence of every other situation you gave here Star. There is a time and the place is only relative to the time appropriate for the given thought of silence.
Yet before silence there is something; something more and often something less. Also, after the silence, there is a time for the mouth to moisten and the words to be heard...
My heart goes to you in this thought and in this silence. May you find my words a comfort to the "dryness" of the silence you described so well.
The poetry here is special and the emotion is felt as loud as thunder!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I do admire and love the silence of silence you speak out loud here.
This is perfect, for so many are silent, and don't dare to speak out loud...
Or just don't have the mood for it, here you bring us back to pretty well a few moments,
we can relate too, I think that's astonishing of you.

- Elisa



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J_Star

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Elisa.
God I hate silence when I'm around people. I think its my aspie tendencies. My head soon fills with what I think other people are thinking (or maybe what they really are thinking which would make me telepathic).

This is a great topic J_Star and you explored it brilliantly. Well written and laid out.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J_Star

10 Years Ago

I feel that. Thanks for the read and review!
ANTO

10 Years Ago

Your welcome
A splendid read and write. I enjoyed it tremendously...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


J_Star

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Sami!
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)
The silence of algebra II
while the instructor
waits
for an answer -- this is probably the most unique and creative image in the entire piece. Truly loved this, and could picture it completely.

On a whole, I think this is a pretty good piece. Your have written strongly and poignantly, using a good amount of imagery and metaphor. The only small things that threw me off were perhaps a little wordiness in terms of the length and the flow in some places, but these are really minor. The piece speaks brightly and I really enjoyed the read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A most inspiring poem! The contemplation of silence leads to many truth. Silence is the loudest voice of all for it transports us between worlds. Silence holds our moments together across eternity. Silence is a death, and Death is just an interlude. Information is composed of events punctuated by interludes. We are information.

Posted 10 Years Ago


J_Star

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the read and review, Aethereal!
Silence can say so much, and can be so loud... I had to smile at this one:
The silence of algebra II
while the instructor
waits
for an answer

It happens in English class, too...Incredible auditory imagery, through lack of it - amazing

I am reading this in a quite house, now listening to the silence.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J_Star

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Rita. There is so much inside silence, if you take the time to listen.
this is great...in between the words being spoken...the most important times...

often it is not what we say that counts, but what we don't say.

those pregnant pauses...best some times if we never deliver...especially in algebra...probably be a wrong answer.

good stuff here.nicely constructed piece....layout etc.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J_Star

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading, Jacob.
"The silence after
crickets
(and before
birds)" this was my favorite part (besides the ending, THAT was brilliant). It's so... pretty. It paints a picture for the entire piece, in my opinion. Well done.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J_Star

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Rane.
You forgot elevator silence...nothing more quiet than an elevator full of people ;-)

This is fantastic, J...That last stanza really hit home. I can't tell you how many nights I've been lying awake, chewing on words, unable to spit them out, loathe to swallow them...

Exceptional.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

J_Star

10 Years Ago

*facepalm* totally elevator silence. and anticipatory silence.

the word "reason" in th.. read more
KAOlmsted

10 Years Ago

My absolute pleasure, on both.

Motive? Ha, trust me to come up with the word motive .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

510 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 27, 2013
Last Updated on May 27, 2013

Author

J_Star
J_Star

About
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." --Ray Bradbury more..

Writing
1: Jay 1: Jay

A Chapter by J_Star



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..