I and They

I and They

A Poem by Judy Ponceby
"

To be homeless....

"

Emerging from this makeshift shelter,
I look about at the wicked cold day,
Wondering how long I will survive in this bleak world.

I have tussled with my demons,
Made peace with myself,
And accepted my lot in life.

My ragged clothing, barely covering me,
Warmth only a dream,
Decent food a luxury,
Knowing my family as I am now,
An impossibility.

The shrill jeering of children as I pass by,
The looks from strangers,
Judging me in my degradation.
None realizing that I was once They.

I could justify feeling superior,
When I had a home, a family, a job.
A sense of security and a mind and body unbroken.

And now, watching from the other side,
I wonder why I had so little compassion,
So litte empathy, so little mercy.
Just as They do now.

Oct 12, 2010

© 2011 Judy Ponceby


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A wondrously empathic piece of writing, true heart in every line. Have written similarly, feel so strongly about 'man's inhumanity to man'. There are such strong and cruel divides in society these days - if we're living in in a civilised society, don't think a jot of it.

As you write, ' I wonder why I had so little compassion,' .. it's too easy to forget that there by the grace of God .. or ignore.

Your poem's a thoughtful and inspiring one, more folk should read it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a very beautiful poem. I am, thankfully, not homeless, and observing homeless people is painful for me, although other people, even those close to me, will quickly "turn up their nose" at them, as though people without the luxury of homes are worthless. It's sad.

Thank you for this poem, it offers a fresh perspective on an ignored subject.

Posted 13 Years Ago


What really makes outstanding poetry is when a poem really makes you reflect and you feel like the writer has written volumes under the words. Your words carry such a deeper wisdom in this piece. I love it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Judy this is such a poem of awareness.
Yes, once most were 'they'.. now they sneer and stare.
People without homes living on the streets have a special place in my heart.
This is one for my library.
Thank you for speaking out for them.

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Judging me in my degradation.
None realizing that I was once They."
This was beautifully done by someone who, i assume, has never been homeless.
Your poems are intriguingly down to earth. They capture everyday occurrences from unique angles, which, along with your excellent wording, makes for some exemplary poetry.
Kudos.
:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Easy to assume when we look at the poor and homeless. I know most of us are walking on a edge of paying the bills barely. The USA and the world is falling down. Funny part if the world looks at history. We had worst times. My Grandparent lived in government housing in the 1930-1940. I believe giving money to banks and loan companies was very dumb. Give them money at a low interest rate so they can re-loan to the people already too much in debt with high interest rates. Should of been set-up before the loans were given. I pray for better days. We need a lot of good people to help their brothers and sisters of this world. A excellent poem. You made me think.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Strikingly sad and keely reflective of human nature. Well conceived; very well executed. A+, here, Judy.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

432 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 12, 2011
Last Updated on March 12, 2011

Author

Judy Ponceby
Judy Ponceby

Swanton, OH



About
I am me. Living life. Learning love. And laughing. A poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom. – Robert Frost more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Kisses Kisses

A Poem by Robin