Thyme's a winner

Thyme's a winner

A Story by Katie Nimmo

Thyme's a winner

 

"Rosie! Good morning!" Snapping out of her daydream Rosie lowered her newspaper to see her neighbour looking at her over the garden fence.

"Good morning Alfred! You gave me quite a fright." She laughed, laying her paper down on the table.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I can be a bit loud I guess." Alfred laughed back. Peering over the fence was what Alfred did best. A nosy character but harmless all the same. "I see you're already reading today's paper. Was going to ask if you'd seen the local news bit yet but you're almost done there so I expect you have."

"I skimmed through it yes, but I don't really read it properly, village gossip travels quite well by itself without the aid of a newspaper." Rosie said matter of factly, Alfred  was nodding in agreement.

"You're not wrong Rosie. Only yesterday did old Bertie say his pocket watch was missing and in not 10 minutes half the village was looking for it. Meaning either this village is full of gossipers or those who have too much time on their hands, or even worse...both!" Laughing even harder this time Alfred wiped the tears from his eyes. "Anyway," he continued trying to compose himself. "I actually wondered if you'd read about the fair this year. How they're having a new tent this year."

"The herb tent you mean? Yes I did see that. It'll be nice to have a little extension to our fair. But you know I don't care much for competitions." Getting off her chair Rosie handed Alfred a handkerchief to help dry the tears off his face.  

"Thanks Rosie. Yes I know you don't like competition. Would be fun though wouldn't it, don't you think? Bit of friendly fun to bring the best herbs from your lovely collection there." He gestured towards Rosie's herb garden half way up the garden surrounded by brickwork and cobbles. The herb garden was Rosie's pride and joy, with basil and thyme and a hint of rosemary, a walk in the garden was a pleasure with such a fresh scent.

"You know most of the village is talking about it. All of a sudden these little herb gardens are popping up all over the place which have supposedly been in their gardens for years. I'll wash this for you." Waving the handkerchief Alfred put in his waistcoat pocket.

"That doesn't surprise me Alfred." Rosie giggled. Several people practically bounced to mind who would try to pull that trick off. Alfred was speaking the truth though, nobody cared for their herbs like Rosie did. Every other garden in the village was full of English roses and other flowers to make them look appealing.

"At least have a think about it Rosie. Might be fun." With a little flurry Alfred disappeared from the fence, leaving Rosie alone with her thoughts. Even as a child she had never liked competition, she'd never won anything in her life so she stopped trying and started living her own life, enjoying what she loved.

"Rosie!"

"Alfred! I wish you would stop doing that.." Huffing at him for making her jump twice in the space of one morning.

"Sorry. Again. Just remembered. You do know that Deidre is entering?" Alfred raised an eyebrow, waiting for a reaction.

"Deidre?" Rosie pondered for a moment. "Deidre doesn't know the first thing about herbs, why is she entering?" Her voice getting to hysterical tones.

"One plain reason. Without you in the competition she knows she's as good as won already." Shrugging his shoulders he started to move away again.

"But Deidre wins everything, surely she'd give someone else a chance?"

"You think? No one else enters when she's competing. saves the heartache of knowing you're going to lose. Unless another participant makes a stand this year at the new herb tent." Gazing at Rosie Alfred said nothing more and disappeared for good this time.

 

Saturday, the day of the fair, soon arrived to be welcomed by glorious sunshine. A perfect day for a village fair. 6 am saw the first of the tents being set upon the village green. The tea tent was always the most popular, with a selection of teas and freshly made cakes and scones it was easy to see why it was popular.

 

 

© 2013 Katie Nimmo


Author's Note

Katie Nimmo
not yet complete, feedback on storyline only please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on December 16, 2013
Last Updated on December 16, 2013

Author

Katie Nimmo
Katie Nimmo

United Kingdom



About
Former holiday park entertainer. It's taken 27 years to realize how much I truly love writing and it's what makes me happy. more..

Writing
Mama Mama

A Chapter by Katie Nimmo


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Katie Nimmo