Lavender Rose [HappyAlYumi Day!]

Lavender Rose [HappyAlYumi Day!]

A Story by Emunah June.

Despite the fireplace blazing in the corner, Ayumi couldn't be any colder.

 

 

The date held strong and firm: December 14. Well, thats what the calender said at least. She didn't dare flip the page, didn't dare remind herself of what the date today really was. If she did, it wouldn't take long before she'd start to smell him. Or hear him. Or remember the soft-to-the-touch feel of his skin when it rolled against her own.

 

Brushing some of her striking black hair out of her ocean-deep eyes, she looked over her bedside and stared at the half made sheets that were laid out so expectingly. Almost like she expected him to come home, to lay down in bed and look over at her, and say something reassuring, like he always did.

 

Like he always had.

 

 

Her delicate doll like fingers ran over the fabrics of her bedroom curtains. She took in the feel of the silky lace, remembering the day he'd bought them. An anniversary present, he said.

 

 

"I saw you looking at them, and so I figured you wanted them! Do you like them?"

 

 

Well, of course I like them, she'd said, and he'd given her that award winning smile of his before throwing them over his arm and moving along the isle.

 

Times like then held some much weight on her now.

 

She hadn't liked them. The material was too slick, too difficult to wash. She didn't like the smell, and the colour didn't fit the interior design she had going on in their room. She had stared at them, mocking them in her mind's eye, telling herself that only an idiot would buy them.

 

How ironic.

 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 

The weather today was cold, with snow rolling down the naked trees. It reminded Ayumi of the night they had been stuck outside, with a broken down truck and a handful of emergency blankets, each as thin as a saltine.

 

 

"It's cold out, Ayumi. Please, take all of them. You need to stay warm."

 

 

He had draped each one over her shoulders as delicately as one would place a baby in a crib, with love and tender concern. She had fought back, pleading for him to take one, but he had refused, smiling at her and kissing her forehead.

 

 

Now, as she open the window and let the cool winter breeze seep in, she closed her eyes and fought back the other memories that threated to bubble up to the surface.

 

Like his death.

 

She remembered how swift it had been, and how the circumstances were so sadistically played out. They had argued that morning, over something that now seemed so idiotic.

 

 

She had caught a splash of Lavender Rose on his clothes, a smell from the brand of which she herself had never worn. When she confronted him about it, he had become defensive, starting out by saying she had imagined the stain, and rounding around to stating that the perfume's origins were none of her concern.

 

"None of my concern?!" she had screetched, tossing his shirt at his face, "I'm your wife, you idiot! Tell me again that another woman's perfume on your clothes is none of my concern!"

 

"You're the idiot!" he had shot back, "There is no other woman! Why don't you trust me?"

 

 

Her brow furrowed, her teeth clentched, and her fists balled up near her sides. Tears had formed around the bottom lip of her eyes.

 

In the moment, she had no regrets.

In this moment now, she wished to take it back.

 

She slapped him hard against the cheek, so hard that his nose started to bleed.

 

"Get out!" she screamed, furious. "Dont even take your things! Just get OUT!"

 

 

She could see how hurt he was, but it was clear even he, in this moment, was too angry to fight back.

 

His last words to her: "Fine! Like I need you anyways!"

The date? December 14th.

 

 

He was found dead on the side of the main road the next morning.

 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 

Outside, the snow was harsh and bitter, like the tears that had managed to escape her.

 

She remembered the call she had gotten the next morning from the police station, how they had found her husband dead, and how they needed her for conformation of the body. She remembered throwing up when it finally hit her, over the curtains he had bought her that had, at the time, not been set up yet and just laid on the floor. She remembered the immense regret of kicking him out, how she had, indirectly, killed the very man she had promised to never live without.

 

 

Now, standing outside, all those feelings came back to her. Her blood iced over, cold, uncertain, and calculating of her next moves. Ever since his passing, she had always been like that.

 

 

But now, something felt different. Something comforting.

 

She stood still, her eyes closed and her hands outstretched to meet the snow falling from the sky. The wind gently played with strands of her hair, whispering words of encouragement to her.

 

And thats when she knew.

 

She felt him, in this moment, his arms around her waist and his lips pressed very lightly against her ear. She couldn't open her eyes, she didn't want him to be scared off. Didn't want to lose the very thing she had missed so much.

 

He spoke, the wind guiding his words.

 

 

"I was wrong. I need you."

 

Her lips trembled as the words fell flat against the back of her neck, his breath warming her up and pleasing her senses. The dust in her throat was cleared, and she finally had the courage to speak, to sound out the name she had tried so very hard to forget.

 

 

"Alphonse...I..."

"Don't say anything." 

 

She could feel him, his whole stance change. He was everywhere in this moment. He was in the wind, in the snow, in the heat that was coursing through all her body.

 

She stayed still, ignoring the frost collecting on the tip of her noise. Somehow, he was here, with her. He'd come back.

 

 

 

He'd come back.

For her.

 

 

After his long silence, she felt him kiss the back of her neck. Finally, he spoke.

 

"Closet. Top drawer."

"What?"

"Closet. Closet. I forgive you."

 

Ayumi made the mistake of opening her eyes, and just like that she felt his whole being vanish, dissapear from existance.

 

 

And the tears finally let go.

 

 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 

 

Her hands made their way to the closet knob, throwing open the door, and immedietly groping the inside until she felt the top drawer. She threw it open, and found inside a lonely looking letter and a plastic box.

 

 

She blinked slowly, tears building in strength.

She already knew what was in the box.

She could smell it.

 

 

A bottle of Lavender Rose perfume.

 

On the letter was a very simple sentence that now carried so much meaning.

 

 

"Happy Anniversary, Ayumi!

I can't live without you."

 

 

© 2013 Emunah June.


Author's Note

Emunah June.
Happy AlYumi Day everyone!!

12-15-12



::::::::::::AWARDS::::::::::::::::


-Awarded "good twist writer" (2 out of 3) in "the perfect twist" contest

I'll add a picture tomorrow :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awe, this made tears come to my eyes...poor Alphonse...he died because she had screamed at him to get out. He bought her that bottle of perfume for their anniversary. I really wish that he didn't have to live her. I could imagine her seeing him with her eyes closed. I really wish she hadn't thrown him out she would still be with him, but she was always with him. He would always be in their heart. I enjoyed reading this though it was sad. I loved the write. I could imagine everything. Now that was pure imagery. Thank you for sharing. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Rae
That was very sad indeed. I can't believe how it all happened! It was fantastic, but so cruel at the same time. The ending definitely made me cry. T^T Great write! ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


That was the most depressing thing I ever read I am in tears.
Good write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emunah June.

11 Years Ago

Im sorry dont be in tears! D:

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 16, 2012
Last Updated on March 23, 2013

Author

Emunah June.
Emunah June.

Inside My Own Mind, Amestris



About
Shalom Alechiem! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Emmy, and I've been on this site for a long, long time. There was an admitted period of absence, and for that I apologize, but I am back no.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..