M.A.E.R (Mobile Armored Eradication and Reconnaissance) Part I

M.A.E.R (Mobile Armored Eradication and Reconnaissance) Part I

A Story by Kyle J. Lawson
"

An ancient sentinel is awoken from a robotic graveyard.

"

       Tall structures devoured by age and decay rose from the ground for as far as the eye could see. Bleak and gray as they were, without windows or doors, seemingly erased from all knowledge to only now serve as a monument to a memory of a forgotten people. Time though, had no empathy. Eventually, all things succumb to is perpetual tomb of entropy. But where there should not have been life, there was.

          A creature more peculiar than time its self meandered through the streets between the gray buildings. Its strides were similar to to that of avian descent, bobbing its head and chest with every step. It bore large, glossy eyes on the sides of its head and a spiny ridge leading from a metal beak to the top of its head. No organic components were visible, it seemed to be completely synthetic. It was a marvelous breakthrough of both science and evolution.

            The creature sifted through mounds of mechanical scrap with its large beak. It turned its head in curiosity when a teal light blinked back at it. Instead of pecking at the object, a set of robotic limbs unfolded from a compartment in its chest, each armed with twin hooks.

             The limbs stretched out towards the object, clearing away the scrap as they went. Something emerged from the heap. It was white, sticking out from the gray and silver metal. More scrap was cleared and a complete figure was revealed. A helmet rested on its shoulders with three horizontal slits near the center. It also donned white armor that was rusted at the joints and missing completely at some parts.

              The avian synthetic retraced its limbs. In their place was a third appendage with a thin needle at the tip. It quickly stabbed the figure and began analyzing. A holographic screen came up before its eyes, and after a few moments numbers and symbols began scrolling across it.

                  

 execute.retrieving data...data received

                   period 37, cycle 3

                   Homo-sapien/aug, mortality 41, deceased/u

                  

              Seeming unsatisfied, the synthetic pulled its needle out and turned away. But just as it did, a flash of teal-blue swiped across it. The synthetic's body was cleaved into two halves, the top half sliding away from the bottom. Behind the corpse stood the armored, white figure, a curved blade of teal-blue energy at its side.

               The blade was quickly sheathed and slotted in a belt. The figure then opened up a panel on its wrist. "Orhn to command. First division of the M.A.E.R assault unit. Do you copy?" Several moments passed as Orhn awaited a response, but the device was as silent as the city its self. 

              Orhn went to the slain synthetic and tore it open revealing an orange power core. He replaced it with the one powering his armor.The dim lights on his helmet and limbs lit up with brilliance. He turned with one last stare to the countless mounds of mechanical parts, then stepped forward to begin a long trek into the unknown.

© 2014 Kyle J. Lawson


Author's Note

Kyle J. Lawson
Here's an idea I had for a possible story. Tell me what you think of it. And I know, it needs tons of refining. Let me know how I could make it better and your opinion of the idea its self. Thanks. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Its definitely interesting, one quick note is, unless I misunderstand what is happening I think in the last paragraph, it should be "He replaced the one powering his armor with the one from the slain synthetic" or something like that. Otherwise it sounds like he puts his powercore into the synthetic. Besides that I am very interested in where this might go. A lone ranger amidst a mechanical graveyard, a mysterious creature (perhaps an entire faction?) trying to do... something. Sounds cool.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kyle J. Lawson

9 Years Ago

Yeah I just now seen that, definitely makes me readdress my attention to editing. But yeah, you caug.. read more


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Its definitely interesting, one quick note is, unless I misunderstand what is happening I think in the last paragraph, it should be "He replaced the one powering his armor with the one from the slain synthetic" or something like that. Otherwise it sounds like he puts his powercore into the synthetic. Besides that I am very interested in where this might go. A lone ranger amidst a mechanical graveyard, a mysterious creature (perhaps an entire faction?) trying to do... something. Sounds cool.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kyle J. Lawson

9 Years Ago

Yeah I just now seen that, definitely makes me readdress my attention to editing. But yeah, you caug.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
1 Review
Added on May 7, 2014
Last Updated on June 13, 2014
Tags: Robot, machine, synthetic, cyborg, action, science fiction, scifi, sword

Author

Kyle J. Lawson
Kyle J. Lawson

Greenwood, IN



About
Greetings everyone, I'm Kyle. I've recently gotten into writing within the past three years and love doing it. I'm always looking for ways to improve, since I'm nowhere near good or great in any shape.. more..

Writing