Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

A Chapter by Catherine

Noah

 

The day proved a perfect one for riding; warming their skin, the sun shone in a pure sky, not one cloud in sight. A brisk wind swept across the rolling land, rustling the scarce evergreens, leatherleaf shrubs and scrub oaks.

Kitera’s mount, a tall grey named Bolt, led the walk as they traveled along the North Road. Jaden rode Silver, a sturdy white with just one triangle of grey fur between the eyes, who seemed a delight, never showing any sign of weariness. From one hilltop to another they glimpsed the White Mounts rising to the north. There was yet a long way to go, at least two more nights would be spent at inns.

In the afternoon Noah felt warm under the sunlight and made the mistake of pulling up his sleeves.

“What’s that,” Jaden asked, “on your arm?”

Noah reflexively tugged the sleeve down but it was too late, Jaden had caught the spider tattoo inside his right arm.

 “I like spiders,” Noah said.

Jaden brought his horse alongside Shadow, while Kitera was too far ahead to be listening.

“Really?” Jaden sounded skeptical.

“They’re fascinating creatures.”

“You’d do right to be careful who you show that to,” Jaden advised. “Truth is it looks like black magic.”

Noah didn’t reply, letting the silence stretch, and for a blessed time it appeared Jaden had given up on a conversation. They rode on, the Fel River a few yards to their left, some shallow streams occasionally crossing their path, minnows, tadpoles and waterspiders dancing across their surface.

They seldom came across other travelers, mostly merchants heading south, their carts heaping with pelts or wool.

 “I once heard,” Jaden started again, and Noah repressed an irritated sigh, “of a country far to the south, Chyulin, I believe, where they developed a technique of marking the skin permanently with ink. Is that where you got it done?”  

“Actually, I… I’d rather not discuss it.”

Jaden’s expression was unreadable. “Of course. Forgive me, I didn’t mean to pry.”

 

***

 

With everything going on, what day today was had completely slipped from Noah’s mind. It was Autumn Night, and the town of Moonvale was ready for the celebration.

A small town nestled in a broad valley cornered by hills, with cobblestone streets and white-washed houses, Moonvale was modest but pleasant. In its largest garden, an impressive bonfire had been lit.

After choosing an inn and devouring dinner, Noah and Jaden let Kitera drag them out to the party.  

Back in her corseted dress, brown tresses falling down her shoulders, kohl lining her eyes, she led them across the stable yards and wagon lots, improvising a shortcut to the gardens, the glint in her eye much the same, Noah mused, as when they used to go dancing on nights like these in Quickrivers.

The bonfire’s smoke spiraled up into the dark sky, and the steadily increasing rhythm of the drums had Noah’s heart beating faster. The gardens’ entrance featured a group of young men in slim black coats pouring ale from barrels into cheap goblets, which they handed out to anyone willing to spare a few coppers.

Noah asked for three, fishing out his coins, only to hear one of the young men announcing that the ale was free for Kitera. Noah shrugged and paid; three for the price of two.

“Having a pretty girl in the group comes in handy,” Noah told Kitera as she accepted her drink.

“He wasn’t bad-looking himself,” came Kitera’s wistful reply.

Jaden spared her an amused glance. “He might fancy a dance later.”

Smiling, Kitera said: “He might get one, if he’s a skilled enough dancer to handle me.”

By the fire, young women danced to the entrancing rhythms, their gold or red curls in braids or pinned up with shimmering ribbons, their flowing skirts a whirlwind of vibrant colors. The drummers’ hands rapped the taut hides of their tam-tams deftly, the flames casting flickering shadows across their intent faces.

“Come on, then,” Kitera coaxed, “shall we go dancing?”

Noah stood back while Jaden followed her. Witnessing Jaden’s presence around the fire, a few boys worked up the courage to join the dance. The girls laughed, holding hands, twirling, swaying their hips.

Overhead the moon shone bright in a star-flecked sky. Throughout the garden, lanterns hung from tree branches at steady intervals. Colorful garlands and banners tied to poles and trees fluttered in the wind.

Noah sipped his ale, feeling strangely disconnected from it all, as though watching everything from behind a sheer screen.

A shiver ran down his spine, a tingle prickled his arm. Noah pushed up his sleeve, heart racing.

He smiled. The tattoo was gone.

~ Meet me at the orchard. ~

Noah crossed the crowded space, paying little heed to his surroundings, sparing only a brief glance for a tall statue of the god Dryan.

At the far end was the entrance to an apple orchard. Pushing the wrought-iron gate, Noah stepped under the trees, leaves crunching under his boots. The beat of the drums and the girls’ laughter drifted and reached his ears but otherwise all was quiet"he was alone in the orchard.

Well, not fully alone.

Wrapped in a dark sleeveless dress that reached her mid-thighs, feet bare among the leaves, skin pale and smooth, she stood delicate and graceful, her mischievous eyes catching the moonlight.

“It’s been a while,” Noah said.

 “Too long,” Kili replied.

“It’s good to hear your voice,” Noah told her, closing the distance between them.

Her eyes, not quite black, resembling the color of onyx, gazed up at him in amusement.

“Oh? But you hear it all the time. By now I thought you might be sick of it.”

“Not yet,” Noah replied, a teasing edge to his words.

Her heavy locks, of a very dark shade of green, fell over one pale shoulder, and he wished he could tuck it behind her ear. On the other side of her head, a small squared section of her scalp, just over the ear, was hairless, revealing crisscrossing lines that formed a spider web tattoo.

She said: “I wanted to surprise you tonight.”

“Well here I am. All nice and surprised.” He breathed a soft laugh. “Gods, Kili, I… I wish I could… hold you.”

His gaze trailed from her eyes to full lips that were black instead of pink.

“You know we can’t.” She lowered her lashes, glancing away.

“I know,” he sighed.

In the lingering silence, he realized she was observing his neck.

“Let me see,” she said.

He pulled at the scarf until it hung from his fist, its gold-embroidered tip teasing the ground.

She examined the black scar that crawled up his neck, her head tilted. Suddenly she raised a hand. Noah’s breath hitched.

“What are you doing?”

“Trying something,” she whispered. “Trust me, Noah.”

She brought her delicate fingers closer, until the skin of his neck tingled with the near-touch of her fingertips.

“Kili?”

Abruptly she let her hand drop, her shoulders relaxing. She gave Noah a grin"gods be damned, she was stunning when she smiled.

“Yes?” she replied playfully.

“What was that about?” Noah asked.

“I hid it.”

His hand went to his neck. He could still feel the slight difference in texture where the mark was.  

“A simple illusion.” She shrugged one shoulder. “The mark’s still there, but now no one can see it, not even you.”

“That’s perfect. Thank you, I… didn’t even know you could do that.”

“Should I try it for your other scars?” she asked.

Noah hesitated. “No, I don’t think so. Not seeing them would feel wrong somehow, you know?”

She nodded. “I get it.”

“Wait a second,” he said, a thought striking him. “Is that what Michaela’s demon does for him?”

To his knowledge, all mages bonded to a demon had the markings on their skin, the one exception being Michaela T’Sherazee.

“Maybe, I don’t know.” Her smile fading, she glanced over Noah’s shoulder, towards the orchard’s gate.  “We’re not alone,” she said.

Noah whirled as he heard the crackling of leaves and twigs. He recognized the lean silhouette as blonde hair caught the moonlight.

“Are you following me?” Noah asked.

But he wasn’t the one capturing Jaden’s attention. “Who are you?” he asked Kili, his voice soft.

Noah’s heart skipped a beat. He felt Kili’s shock, mirroring his own. There was a tingle inside his arm; he didn’t need to look to know that she’d vanished.

Did he really see you?
                ~ Yes... ~

How is that possible?

Pushing a branch out of the way, Jaden came closer to Noah.  

“That was your demon? That did not look like a spider.”

For a moment, Noah only stared.

“How"?”

“I can see demons,” Jaden admitted, “even when they don’t want to be seen. I saw Kitera’s hawk, though I didn’t say anything. But I’ve never… A human-shaped demon?”

Noah could feel Kili’s unease, an acute flicker at the back of his mind.

“Please don’t tell anyone.”



© 2017 Catherine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on February 4, 2017
Last Updated on March 11, 2017
Tags: Fantasy, adventure, romance


Author

Catherine
Catherine

Montreal, Canada



About
I've been writing for a long time and I've only recently discovered this website. Don't hesitate to send me a message or a friend request, I think writers have got to stick together. Read and review a.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Catherine


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Catherine


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Catherine