opening 'scene'/'sequence'

opening 'scene'/'sequence'

A Chapter by Matthew Ervin

Qu’est-ce que nous réfractions? Les ailes que nous n’avons pas.

 

Introit. In the orphic clepsydra of his mind—a tiny, quicksilver bead of dream falls into the refracting pool of his vision sending a shiver across its mirrored surface. Time and Dream unfold. It is the liquidity in our eyes that lets us dream, and, of all silk, the thread that sutures dreams and tears (the dual human price) is the finest.
    The squared circle, the cubed sphere, Four Elements, Four Ages (the four-stringed lyre): Fire scorches Earth…DA (red-hot)…a first vibration: The searing chemical-burn of Acid; Water disperses Earth…DA (dark-cold)…a second: The milky tears into throbbing oblivion of Trance; Fire vaporizes Water…DA (dry-empty)…a third: The steaming, luminous sexualities of Jungle; Air…Heraclitan aither…shshsh (white noise)…a fourth: Ambient.
All around a center which cannot hold: Likewise is the body, the WORD: The flesh. The Box (an interweaving of coarse fibers—all silken lyre-strings)… DA DA DA shsh (mere noise)…the tetrachord resolves—diatonic, but out of tune; and the voice within?: You have fully comprehended.
    Bead, ripple, refraction…a shudder in the god…the dream-world vibrating, reverberates with the rhythm pouring from the club behind, even the muted, strangely metal-blue glow of streetlights humming. And so the sûtra unravels, the knot unties, the enervation drains, and the long cinder of ash falls slowly from his cigarette to the pavement. Lost within, he’s let it smolder to the filter. He checks the jacket pocket, though he knows the wasted one is his last.
S**t.
    Focus shifts, scuffed gray toes and frayed laces pull his attention. Once again he’s glad to (at least) appear European, t
hank the Parisienne ‘mother’ and the Portuguese father. The French say they can tell a German or an American (and which is which) on sight…to blend…to not be noticed…oh, the beauty of invisibility in Paris.
    The curb is hard and the chic, unfiltered cigarettes are gone = too real…sober; he rises and, hands-in-pockets, heads home….



© 2008 Matthew Ervin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

At first it came across as a Chemistry/Physics assignment with the DA and what nots, lol. But the mystery draws me deeper and I continued reading. I like the one-word phrases. It's short and sweet, and heightens my curiosity about the character in question. Even though I am left completely confused about the plot, I do like to know what happens next. Keep it up.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 5, 2008


Author

Matthew Ervin
Matthew Ervin

Austin, TX



About
Yeah, so I work at UT Austin, and I'm just on here to make a few new friends, meet a few new people, a few writer-types. I write short stories...though most are rather long to be called such...latel.. more..

Writing