The curse

The curse

A Poem by Lourisa

in the shadow of the forest
on a bed of rotten leaves
where life and death can't coexist
sleeps the king of callous thieves.

in times gone by and yet to come
the callous king would steal
the soul of every wearisome
turn their hearts to coldest steel.

the heartless soul would wander then
alone unloved despised
with darkness shining brighter
in the callous king's cold eyes.

© 2013 Lourisa


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You created the scene and transported us to it...and then introduced us to the character. Very well written. The imagery is wonderful. I feel as though you left me hanging, though. I would like to know more about this callous king and the curse he is under....or does he put a curse on the kingdom? Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Lydia, I think another reviewer felt the same as you did about this poem. I will work on adding mor.. read more



Reviews

Wow....how do you do these?

Posted 10 Years Ago


R. L. Hill

10 Years Ago

I enjoy writing every day too. Do you only do poetry?
Lourisa

10 Years Ago

No, I'm busy with a memoir "Down the Rabbit Hole" which is also on here. I'm very passionate about .. read more
R. L. Hill

10 Years Ago

I love them. Your work portrays your passions clearly.
This is absolutely chilling and so beautiful. Everything just flows together so perfectly and paints the most stunning image. I am so looking forward to reading more of your work. I love the part when you said life and death can't coexist. Writing is such a gift to all of us, more people need to take the time to see the beauty that can come from a simple pen and paper (or a key board I guess :) )

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Ally. Yes, like you well know, writing can be a life source.
The curse holds one in its grip of despair, day after day, times of past and times of present -though he is king he is a captive in his own kingdom!

The imagery is excellent!

(one question - in the line, "while darkness shining brighter" could the word, "with" connect the darkness better to the king?)......just a thought.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Sheila, thanks for the great review and advise. I love your insight in the king being a captive in .. read more
Nice concept. Once again you did an amazing job ...it's a wonderful write.

the heartless soul would wander then
alone unloved despised
while darkness shining brighter
in the callous king's cold eyes... this one stanza's very cool. Keep on dear, Laury.

Posted 10 Years Ago


An insatiable hunger that would consume itself. Wonderful write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Thanks Pryde.
You created the scene and transported us to it...and then introduced us to the character. Very well written. The imagery is wonderful. I feel as though you left me hanging, though. I would like to know more about this callous king and the curse he is under....or does he put a curse on the kingdom? Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Lydia, I think another reviewer felt the same as you did about this poem. I will work on adding mor.. read more
I wonder whether the "callous king" you wrote about is the same as my interpretation, upon first reading this piece? For there is in this world a king who rewards his subjects with money, fame and power, but robs them of much which is far more valuable in so doing. His greatest power is in not being recognized for what he truly is, and, my dear, it seems that you recognize him, so he is defeated!

Posted 10 Years Ago


You've created a great place and atmosphere.. wonder if it could develop into a series perhaps. 'Coexist' used in a poem is quite something!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lourisa

10 Years Ago

That sure is something to consider, Emma.
What a dark, brilliant music flows here.. it seems the very beginning of a tale to haunt the midnight hours... Would love to see more.. so much more.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

596 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 2, 2013
Last Updated on November 17, 2013

Author

Lourisa
Lourisa

Paraparaumu Beach, Wellington, New Zealand



About
"If you are a dreamer come in If you are a dreamer a wisher a liar A hoper a prayer a magic-bean-buyer If youre a pretender come sit by my fire For we have some flax golden tales to spin Com.. more..

Writing
Lost at sea Lost at sea

A Poem by Lourisa


The abyss The abyss

A Poem by Lourisa



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..