"Fall to Winters' Hike"

"Fall to Winters' Hike"

A Story by Dave

"Fall to Winters' Hike"
The early morning mist was still wet upon the ground.  A jumble of gold, yellow, bright red leaves on top of older, faded green from just a short while ago.  The silence, for now, is broken by a cool rush of wind and the snapping of twigs under foot.  A host of tiny forest creatures go scurrying for a morsel, darting back and forth across my path.
The brilliant blue, cloudless sky could almost hurt ones' eyes looking at it.  High in the branches of the trees birds fill the air with their heartfelt singing.  Soon they will be gone and the morning mist will become the crusty frost of winter.  Winter will be upon us with no leaves, save those buried beneath the snow.  The deer remain, the fawn of spring has grown into the stag of the season upon us.
How different the beauty of winter with its' bared branches and hidden life.  The fresh white snow has taken the place of the green of spring and summer.  The colors of winter with bright red cardinals and brassy blue jays all chirping welcoming the coolness.  Squirrels leaving their tiny footprints on the snow, remembering where to find their acorns.
A special treat at a rushing stream a chance to watch as animals quench their thirst at the slowly flowing water.  In their mutual need they come, without malice together.  Have their fill and then serenely go their separate ways.  A lesson to be learned?  

© 2018 Dave


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Falling leaves" is a common autumn theme, but you've turned it into a magical feast of unexpected observations, your descriptions are so detailed & bright. Both your autumn & your winter surroundings are not a bit familiar to my own desert clime, so I enjoy getting the "typical" scenes, but I don't mean to say that your writing is typical at all! I love the way you show both fall & winter, side by side, as it always seems like the "falling leaves" scene progresses too quickly to the "barren frost" scene. Thank you for sharing your imagination with us! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


A journey from fall into winter. Your walk has much to delight the reader. I love the colours of autumn, but not the soggy leaves or the feeling of decay I get in that season. However your venture into winter has me very much uplifted. I love snow and frost, it is a wonder of nature when your first wake up in the morning to that white blanket and coating on branches. Makes everything look like a wedding cake. I love how you have introduced birds and squirrels into your lines. And the visit to the stream where the animals are all drinking together. I have to agree, we can learn much from them at times. Thank you Dave. I enjoyed this very much.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


The beauty of nature and her creatures observed through the eyes of someone going for a walk. Many of us go for such walks, but you have recorded one in splendid style. Really makes me want to go for a stroll.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have transported us to the place in the woods with your great description of the trees, the autumn leaves and the birds and animals. Well done Dave. I was interested to see that you have traveled a lot and our family came the other way to visit many of your national parks in the west. Your final sentence is very thought provoking and gives your story an extra dimension.
Regards,
AlaN

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 21, 2018
Last Updated on September 24, 2018

Author

Dave
Dave

Bridgewater, NJ



About
David B. Pincus I am a retired teacher. I have taught in grades 5th-8th in New Jersey. I am married and have two grown daughters and four grandsons. I enjoy playing tennis and traveling. With m.. more..

Writing
Cabin on the Lake Cabin on the Lake

A Story by Dave


Swept Away Swept Away

A Poem by Dave



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pancakes Pancakes

A Poem by Hayley


Forest Magic Forest Magic

A Poem by Brad