1

1

A Chapter by Matthew Ian Herrawood W
"

An introduction to our main charictor and the Magic used along with a small plot detail.

"

1

I wrestled with my task eyes scrunched shut with a frown of concentration on my face trying to turn the picture of peace and serenity in my mind into one of terror and destruction that looked real once I had that I released my magic and opened my eyes. I immediately sagged with disappointment. The image that greeted me was a perfect replica of the temple not the destructive scene I was supposed to create for others to see. I had joined the temple Of Reality two years back as it was the only temple that offered faith and training in the magic of Reality which were the two things I wanted most.

“Remember Syrin” my teacher brother Aaron said “in every visual lie created with reality some small truth seeps through the trick is to control that truth by adding your own almost un-noticeable truth. Like this” immediately my vision was replaced with a crumbling image of the temple garden. Just in front of me an overhang crashed to the ground smothering part of a fire that was raging over the lawn and flowers come here said my teacher calmly walking through the fire I walked over next to him and he pointed at the lawn.

“Look” he said. I stared at the thumbnail sized patch of green grass trying to figure out what I was supposed to see in this normal grass. Then I realised that was the point. The grass was green like it was untouched by flames and yet the burnt grass surrounding this small patch made it impossible that it had remained green, untouched by flames. My shoulders sagged with disappointment at my failure. I was unsure why the temple was teaching us, the Reality (or more correctly the Yepmikj) Apprentices, how to lie using reality magic. As a temple we used reality magic to help people understand by showing them reality, we have no need to lie. Although sometimes the brothers or sisters would go on a special mission for the temple and the world is a dangerous perhaps it was a way to use our magic to protect ourselves. To scare someone or something like bandits that may be attacking us as we travel.

“Do not worry Syrin” Aaron smiled at me “keep practicing and you will learn to master this task. Indeed using Reality to show something that is not Reality is difficult but you have mastered everything else and far faster than your peers I might add. Once you learn this you will be ready to graduate to a full Sister along with your peers in four month’s time” the prospect of finally being a full member of the temple sent my heart soring with joy but it plummeted down only a moment later as I realised that Brother Aaron had said the initiation was in four month’s time which I had been doing my best to forget. “go now and rest Syrin then do something fun for the rest of the day but tomorrow start practicing at every opportunity and I’ll see you next week” I nodded

“Thank you” I said and walked out of the practice room into a bright white marble hallway hoping that I would master this magic soon and if not soon then before the initiation to be a full sister in the temple of Reality.

 

***

 

Looking back at me was a young woman of 18 with straight light brown hair that fell just past the shoulders and bright blue eyes and an oval shaped face. She was neither tall nor short but of a medium height and had an athletic build but although she was fit she was no athlete.

“Syrin, Come on already! We’re going to be late!” I turned Away from the mirror to look at Neaap she was a girl the same age as me and a friend since I had first come to the temple we had started within a week of each other Neaap had arrived first and when I had arrived a week later we had been put in the same room although Neaap was her name she preferred people using the new language translation of her name Because Neaap is actually from the ancient language. The name she preferred was Gemma. I smiled at my impatient friend standing in the doorway.

“How do I look?” I asked.

“Stunning as usual” Gemma replied “Now come on!” I laughed and joined her then we began walking to the ceremony together. I had a week ago with only a week to spare before today the day of the initiation to a full member of the temple finally managed to project a false image with reality magic. The reason we needed to do this was still a mystery to me I just had to trust that they knew what they were doing and that I would one day also understand. That day would come sooner than I thought and I wouldn’t like the answer.

 



© 2012 Matthew Ian Herrawood W


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree with Shep

Posted 11 Years Ago


This chapter interged me from the get go loved the detail and the way you told the story. I look forward to the next chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 1, 2012
Last Updated on July 11, 2012


Author

Matthew Ian Herrawood W
Matthew Ian Herrawood W

A Town, South Australia, Australia



About
A Introduction to my Realm Trilogy About the Author Matthew W is 24 years old (November 1 2016) and lives in South Australia. He has been writing and reading for a long time. Because he was su.. more..

Writing