Don't Fall

Don't Fall

A Poem by Melissa Morello

You are looking up at me. You look up to me.

I am looking directly down to you, but I would never look down on you. You never look down. I admire your strength. Sometimes I think you are stronger than I am. 


You are so little, but you see such big things. Everything is full of wonder; life dances wildly in your eyes. They are deep pools of question and mischief, searching for the nearest adventure. They are not yet soiled or scarred. You see shining lights in the sky and hear music in the breeze.  You find the magic in life that so many of us can no longer see. I wish I still saw things the way you do, I wish we all did. 


Your world is a playground. You climb up the crooked steps to freely slip down the slide. I watch you climb up.

                    Be careful. Don't get hurt. I'm right behind you. I won't let you fall. 


I won't ever let you fall. I will never let you get hurt.


You worry that the weather will hold out so we can go to the park. You worry when we are out of apple juice. You worry because you cannot find the yellow crayon. Keep it that way. Just hold on to the swing, I'll push you high; as high as I can. You don't need to worry about anything. I will worry about everything for you. Just play. Smile. Laugh.


Tiny fingers that touch everything. Bright eyes absorbing everything, learning all that they can. You love to learn and you don't even know it because you are always learning. I love to watch you learn. I promise to teach you all that I can.


You get tired, it is early. You begin to drift and imagination takes control. I will hold you. It is okay, you can go to sleep. The world is overwhelming to you and taking it all in is exhausting. Dream of tomorrow and the mountains you will scale. Dream of your future and the light that you have to shine on the world. Dream, and bring us to your reality. 


We put our hands together, mine completely consumes yours. I never want to let go of your hand. Don't let go, I can protect you so long as you hold my hand. I will keep the light shining in your eyes. I won't ever let you get scared. You'll never prick a thorn. I promise.


I cannot keep this promise. But I have to try. 

© 2014 Melissa Morello


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on June 13, 2014
Last Updated on June 13, 2014