The Plague Known As Phenomenon Pt.1

The Plague Known As Phenomenon Pt.1

A Story by Mip/John K. Brierley
"

Mip investigates a dimension where families are being killed in freak "phenomenons". The more he finds about the victims, the more he questions himself if it should actually end.

"
For starters, read background information and look at Mip. I refuse to type out character's info when there is a whole page devoted to these characters background information. Do you understand reader? If you want a good story, sometimes you have to do your homework to understand what's going on.
This is part one of this story in which the protagonist, Mip, will question himself at every turn about this plague. Mip is immortal in this story and as such appears as an 18 year old.
And let's begin!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob called me yesterday and told me about a place in a medieval dimension he passed through recently. He told me that there is this village which has a spell on it killing one family a night. Just making them drop dead. For some reason the villagers were welcoming of it. The villagers who may die call it a plague. The villagers who know they won't call it a welcome phenomenon. I shall call it the plague known as phenomenon. He didn't have time to stop and figure out what's happening so it's up to me.
Yay.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So when I arrived I found a new family dead. Apparently, from the glee of the villagers, this family indulged in incest a bit. I never really found anything wrong with it as long as I don't hear about it or am forced to listen to the details of it. Love is love, lust is lust, b***s are b***s, as Will would say. Though I always wondered his opinion on gay incest. Maybe love is love, lust is lust, b***s are b***s, balls are balls. I wouldn't be surprised if he already thought of that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found a man willing to help end the plague. He's the son of the butcher. He thinks his family is next cause his father married his cousin without knowing. He told me of the last three families to be killed.
The first was a band of thieves whose thieving days were over and lived in the village helping the locals out. They weren't hated by the community, but they was not loved because of their past and the thought that if they decided to steal again, they'd be the first robbed. The daughter was also known to be in love with a boy younger then her by 4 years, her 19 to his 15. Usually the other way around in medieval times.
The second had a murderer for a mother, and the children were troublemakers. The father was the priest of the local church. Strange, they were even happy about the father's death. The priest was a Jean Valjean sort of guy. Except he wasn't able to lift such heavy things. 
The third family also had the incest bug, but the son was in love with the former thieve's daughter and had stopped participating in the incest. It's thought the boy killed himself before his family died as he was found in the thieve's home with a knife in his chest. Most would've used the rope but the boy used the weapon thieves are known to use. Interesting.
While I'm worried about the deaths, I can't say I mourn them much either. The only thing I mourn is the young lovers' death.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonight we go to visit the next most likely family to die. The family are actually the poorest. The father's known to be a drunk and a possible wife beater. I might kill the man if I find a bruise on the wife. They also have a baby boy who enjoys playing with potatoes. The house is tiny but definitely doesn't have mud floors.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First my fears of the man being a wife beater were put to rest by the baby boy's ability to throw potatoes. An arm on that little bugger, nearly pulled my thumb off with that throw as soon as we walked in.
Then I saw the fear on the parents' faces.
"It'll be okay," I say, "I've seen people through similar situations like this. You'll live."
"Sir, I don't know who you are, but thank you." the father says.
'I'm sorry, I'm Mip and you should know this fellow..."
"Mack," the fellow says.
"Could've told me your name,"
"You never asked,"
"Well then, what are your names then, so that everyone knows everyone and none of this gets awkward."
"I'm Edward, this is Tanwen, and this is our son Micheal."
We all shake hands and I get another potato.
Mack isn't a very distinctive man. Blonde hair, skinny, wearing cloth clothes of bland shades of blue. And a bland shade of green eyes.
The family wears the clothes of the poor, dirty white cloth pants, brown shirt, but they're happy.
I smile at the memory of my mother's new family. They were like this. Poor but happy. Money makes it harder to be happy.
Edward has brown short hair, and a beard kept well. They must share the shaving blade. He seems to be just a bit underfed so his wife and son eat well enough to avoid sickness. A good man.
Tanwen is beautiful with distinctive red hair. I'd elaborate but I'm a gentlemen and will not discuss a women's body. A good mother.
Micheal is a chubby little baby, with a tuft of golden hair on his head.
They all have the same shade of brown eyes.
"So I think the best way to counteract this phenomenon is if we stay in one room for the night and see if it strikes. It'll make it easier for me to put up counter productive measures if I don't have to do the whole house." I say.
"Micheal's room then. He sleeps best in there," Tanwen says.
"It's a deal. Might as well not listen to crying all night. Mack, you can go home if you'd like,"
"I'll stay,"
"Then it's decided. To Micheal's room."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After setting the destiny energy around the room with the intention of deflecting foul magic and watching the little boy's glee at the gold light, we all set spots to sleep and I take watch for the night. When they all are finally sleeping I risk pulling out my phone and playing angry birds muted.
When I had gotten bored and put the phone away to look at the stars, it happened.
The spell hit with ferocity, causing the energy to become bright as the sun in this room, nearly blinding me. I hold fast against this spell and try to reverse work the spell to find the maker of this spell. Then I hear a whisper in my ear.
The boy isn't the only one to hit the mother.
It nearly breaks my concentration but I know the man didn't do it. If he has, he's stopped. Just when I'm about to find whoever's spell is working this, it's over. But when I turn around, I sense no life from the family.
It got past me.
It got past the power of destiny.
What have I gotten myself into?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The village rejoiced at the new death as I smoked my first inkling of tobacco in four long years. I thought I quit but I guess I can't stop myself after something like this.
Mack sits beside me with a mug of ale in his hand. I sit in silence as he tells me everything he knows about this village. It truly is a town filled with sin. I am no longer sure if this plague should end. But I won't stop. I must know who worked through my power.

© 2013 Mip/John K. Brierley


Author's Note

Mip/John K. Brierley
Rate away!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on August 3, 2013
Last Updated on August 3, 2013
Tags: Unimensions, Magic, Mystery, Action, Mip

Author

Mip/John K. Brierley
Mip/John K. Brierley

Deadville, IL



About
I'm a writer with big ideas and no motivation to put them down. Hopefully you don't mind younger me's writing cause compared to current me's, it's ramen noodles. more..

Writing