A Song of Despair

A Song of Despair

A Chapter by Nwang
"

Third chapter. Daphne's POV. Review and point out any errors.

"
A Song of Despair
The doors of the train slid open. People began to rush in and out. He grasped her hand and looked into her eyes. “Let’s run away”, he said in a pleading voice.

To say she was shocked was an understatement. Her mind was still processing what he had said. Had she heard him right? Was this a dream?

She gazed back into his black orbs, he met her gaze with passion. She gently clutched his hand which was grasping her, and slowly freed her other arm. Without removing her gaze she let go of his hand. 

The expression on his face was a mixture of surprise, fear and sadness. He wanted to say something but she had already entered the train, and the door had closed behind her.

The train started moving.

She did not look back at him. She knew that if she looked, she would change her mind. She could not deny that her heart had skipped a beat when he had uttered those words. She had wanted to hold him and kiss him, like there was no tomorrow. But she knew her answer already, she could not let a moment destroy what she had sacrificed for seven years, she would not let her heart be broken again.

 The lights flickered as the train began to gain speed. As the train entered the darkness of the tunnel; Daphne felt her heart break.
                                            
                                                         **** 

Daphne Morgan usually does not sing. In fact, there are only a few that have heard her sing. But tonight she wants to sing, sing the song that has been playing inside her head.

Daphne is alone in the apartment, she has turned out all the lights and locked all doors. She has a bottle of whisky resting beside her. An open window providing her with the view of the city, and the air of the winter’s night.
She sits cross-legged on the floor near the window. She lights a cigarette. Takes one long drag, then extinguishes it in the ash tray. She grabs the bottle of whisky and takes a swig. She keeps the bottle back down, and begins to hum under her breath.

Daphne is beautiful and clever, she knows this pretty well. She graduated from college near the top of her class. She has a good job which she enjoys doing, and it pays her well. She is married to a good man who loves her.

She is heart-broken.

She does not know what defines her anymore.

She grabs the bottle and takes another swig. She lies down on the floor. She stretches her hand as if trying to reach the dark ceiling.

She had once dreamed of reaching the stars . Once upon a time paradise was within her grasp, but that was it. Mark Russo was never supposed to fall in love with Daphne Morgan; just as Daphne Morgan was never supposed to fall in love with Mark Russo. The world was against it. Destiny was against it. Life was not about love.

She felt sorry for Hazel; she felt sorry for Nate. They were never supposed to be hurt. The sins were not theirs; the scars of the past were only for her to bear.

Nate had never done anything wrong to her, he had always been the perfect husband. He holds the door for her, he kisses her good morning and good night, he waits for her patiently even though if she is late, he has never spoken a harsh word to her; he loves her, but she cannot seem to return the same.

Hazel, the sweet and innocent girl. The first time she had met Hazel was at a party, five years ago. That night Daphne had realized that she was not the only one who was in love with Mark.

The poor girl was helplessly in love with Mark, Daphne saw it every time she met her. Hazel had even called her a couple of hours ago inquiring about Mark.

Sometimes she wished Mark would finally see the love Hazel offered him. She wished he would forget her, and the past they shared. Sometimes she wished their past was the present, but life is not a fairy tale with happy endings. Life was the reason she was lying drunk in the darkness, and love the reason she was humming this tune.

She suddenly stood up on the floor. She picked up the bottle and took a large gulp. She started to dance to soundless music. She waltzed around the dark room. She stopped her dance. She looked up at the ceiling and began to laugh hysterically. Tears began to form in her eyes, soon they began to roll down her cheeks. Her body crashed down to the floor. Her laughter died as Daphne began to cry.

She knew that she was being selfish, but was it wrong for her to ask for more? Her mind would replay memories, memories of the past consisting of Mark and her. It was a world full of love and hope. She wanted that world once again; her broken heart craved for it.

She slowly picked herself from the floor, wiping the tears from her swollen eyes. She grabbed the bottle once again and took another gulp. She looked outside at the moonless sky, she took in a deep breath and began to sing.
She remembered the last time she had sung; it had been Mark’s twenty- second birthday. She had baked him a cake and sung for him happy birthday. He had been happy; she had been happy. That little world had been their paradise. Today she had hurt him by running away, in-turn she had hurt herself.

She continued to sing even though it was off-tune. She closed her eyes and her body swayed along with the melody. The bottle began to slip from her forgotten hand, and finally it crashed to the floor.

She couldn't care less about broken bottles. She couldn't care less about the world. All she wanted was to be with her Rav, even if it was darkness that followed him.

She hurriedly switched on the lights, and grabbed her phone from the top of the dresser. She had turned her phone off after the call from Hazel so, she pressed the button to switch it on. The screen of her phone lit up; she quickly dialed Mark’s number.

She wished she had taken his hand at the subway. She wished she had accepted his proposal seven years ago.

His phone was switched off.

She put her phone inside her pocket, and quickly grabbed her keys and coat. She rushed out of her apartment door towards the lift. She pressed the button for the lift, and waited. 

She was tired of running away. She was no longer going to sing in despair. She was not going to wait another seven years. She was going to run away with Mark to a far off place where no one knew them. They were going to live together, grow old together, with blue-eyed children running around them.

The door of the lift opened.

Reality came crashing down.

A tall man with dirty blonde hair stood inside the lift.

Daphne's steel blue eyes met his stormy grey.

“Nate,” she half-whispered.


© 2016 Nwang


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AUU
Very frenzied. You were using present tense a bit when Daphne was drinking, and I rather liked that. Just by that alone you could tell where her mind was at. Great work!

"She could careless about broken bottles. She could careless about the world. All she wanted was to be with her Rav, even if it was darkness that followed him." Think you mean "care less" or "couldn't care less."

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review and really appreciate your inputs, it helps me a lot.



Reviews

I am now out of words and diction...

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your review!!
oh the way you write... its just amazing... the story line is even more amazing... so nice plot... and words at their best.....
I'm keenly waiting for the next chapter....
Anindita

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your review ^^
Wow. I read all of these and I enjoyed the read very much. I could tell that the love between the character was deep but different for the pass was not the same as the present but the hearts lurked in the past from time to to.e but was always half way in the middle. But there minds were in the present just not there hearts. This shows that love is not so simple. It is hard to understand and harder to hold on too. I love how all three people have a different idea of their relationship together. This is very good. I mean if it was a movie I would watch it twice just to take it all in. You did a great job. I love your wording and how you describe the characters is wonderful. I can't wait to read more. Yours truely a mad lord.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your wonderful review, your highness.
Lord of mad men

7 Years Ago

No thank you for sharing your work.
Nwang

7 Years Ago

Yes it is short for raven, you have guessed it correct :)) the reason I will explain in the next and.. read more
I get the idea that Daphne is married to Nate and Hazel is married to & pregnant by Mark, but Daphne & Mark are smitten with each other . . . so now who the hell is "Rav"?????? (11th paragraph from the end)

All in all the story is well-told, altho I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of this romantic genre. Your story sounds a little bit like those cheap paperback romance books that are very popular, but just not my preference. I think you could make this a little less predictable if you added more unusual descriptions instead of reaching for so many of the tried-and-true clichés of the romantic genre. One way you've already done this is when you describe Daphne's singing . . . this is not typical for a romance novel, so your story brightens up here & we feel we are getting to know a unique character, Daphne, not just another familiar mistress portrait we've seen before.

Another thing I noticed is that when you're telling about the past, these parts can be a little slow & boring for me . . . it gets more interesting when the story is told from the present & involves action, like when she's drinking & the bottle drops, breaks, etc. This is when things are most interesting. It's hard to get all the past backstory in, without a story starting to be more TELLING than SHOWING. Maybe it's good to start out with more present action in the early chapters, becuz you want to hook your reader on what's going to happen next. Back story can be told at a later point or maybe less backstory thru-out.

Besides these observations, the actual construction of your writing is very excellent & your storytelling combines dialogue & action & description well.

Posted 7 Years Ago


barleygirl

7 Years Ago

Maybe I missed chapter 1 . . . *smile*
Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your constructive review. I will try to keep the things you have told me in mind when .. read more
Lord of mad men

7 Years Ago

Rev..does it have to do with the darkness that surrounds him? Because she say she does not care abou.. read more
Very nicely described. ....the pain of not having the one you love and not being able to love the one you are committed to... all the complex feelings that goes into it....... beautiful.... waiting to read the next part :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your review. Your words really inspire me to write more.
I feel like your words are delicate and fragile, carefully chosen, just like their relationships. The sadness and passion are so well captured. In each vignette, I feel the aloneness of each character, despite their relationships.I don't know if this is finished yet. If it is, it's wonderful. If it's not, I can't wait for the rest.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading through my work and reviewing. There is one more episode that I am working on .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AUU
Very frenzied. You were using present tense a bit when Daphne was drinking, and I rather liked that. Just by that alone you could tell where her mind was at. Great work!

"She could careless about broken bottles. She could careless about the world. All she wanted was to be with her Rav, even if it was darkness that followed him." Think you mean "care less" or "couldn't care less."

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review and really appreciate your inputs, it helps me a lot.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 12, 2016
Last Updated on October 13, 2016


Author

Nwang
Nwang

kolkata, west bengal, India



About
"When you can't change the world and you don't want to change yourself. The only thing you can do is create a new world." I write to express myself, my views and my opinions. So this is my world. .. more..

Writing
Ties that bind Ties that bind

A Story by Nwang


Branded Branded

A Poem by Nwang


Boundaries Boundaries

A Poem by Nwang



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Motel Motel

A Story by Anthony Wayne