Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

A Chapter by Omegax45
"

The truth is out, but not what everyone is expecting. Can they escape Queen Usio's twisted game before it is too late?

"
The Game
by omegax45

Chapter Eighteen

“That’s impossible,” Catherine nearly screeched, “He looks nothing like the stories I have been told!!”
“He should be an old man by now,” Raven exclaimed.
“I should’ve known,” Octavia muttered in disbelief, “The fighting that day… and sneaking up on the soldiers.  I should’ve seen it.”
“So you say,” Fayette commented in a voice that said she didn’t believe her fellow noble.
“How were we suppose to have known” Bridget exclaimed.
“This is cheating,” Emma shouted.
“So we were looking for Dios in disguise,” Elanor reaffirmed, “Quite a clever one.”
“… It was you all along,” Rose whispered, Rowen turning his head slightly to look at her with one pained eye, “That was why…”
“I casted a spell to conceal his identity,” Queen Usio explained, “I purposely made him hideous because I knew you girls would look for someone handsome.  And by the way, I said Dios joined when he was a boy.  Our ten-year war ended not even two months ago, and he left when he was just a teenager.  He is in his twenties now, the perfect age for him to marry.”
“But how were we suppose to have known what to look for,” Ivy demanded before remembering who she was talking to.
  “It’s still cheating,” Emma stated.
“Quiet,” Joan growled at her, “She is still your queen.”
“You were not supposed to be looking for Dios simply by looks alone,” Queen Usio stated angrily, “You were supposed to look for him by the clues given to you throughout the game.  To go by the stories and how your chosen man reacted.  To see for certain if he was Dios out of the twenty candidates.  Your biggest clue was at the start of this game:  all of the soldiers that had to serve such an extensive period of service to Mistral like Dios were all of common blood.  Nobles are the only exception, as staying would risk in losing their inheritance to their siblings or relatives.  Some are even the only child in the family, and thus are the only ones that can continue the family bloodline.  It seemed only our poor girl over there had any insight as to what was going on, while the lot of you were so stupid and lazy that you drew your own conclusions as to what you think Dios should’ve been.  Only Amelia seemed to be the only one with enough brains to be honest and say it outright that she knew she had been wrong.”
“Uh… thank you,” Amelia uttered in confusion, noticing that the noble men were looking at them as if they couldn’t believe that the noble girls didn’t realize that.
“That was not a compliment,” Dorothy informed her.
“I should’ve realized this outcome,” Queen Usio shook her head, “I even predicted it, and yet I am still shocked by it.  I am only grateful to have the foresight to put in that stipulation.”
“What stipulation if I may ask,” Rose asked, her mind running with different scenarios.
“That the only way he could win was for a noble girl to choose him as Dios and win,” the queen revealed, making all the girls gasp in shock, “That is why I chose you and nineteen noble girls.  I even pretended that one of the noble men didn’t participated to fit Rowen, or should I say Dios, into the game.  I knew no noble girl would choose a hideous butler as Dios, especially with the idea of marrying him at the end if they were to lose in mind.  As you said, these girls are basically parasites that feed off of their own families and others without any thought to help others at all unless there was something in it or them.  Their own reasons for their chosen to be Dios shows that they were trying to be picked as the winners without  showing any evidence other than that one challenge when they fought against each other.  It also does not help that they had relied on you multiple times to make the decisions for them.
“To think, the so-called street trash commoner that they ate away at for answers and were so ready to have killed off to win not only proved to be the most useful, but also was correct in almost every single challenge.”
Queen Usio looked back at the noble girls, feeling a sense of smug satisfaction that some of them looked ashamed while the rest were flushed in anger and humiliation.  However, that did not last as Catherine placed her hands on her hips and raised her chin, her eyes sparkling with her noble pride and arrogance.
“I do not wish to insult you Your Majesty,” she began, “but it is a noble’s right to use a commoner for whatever means they wished.  As the ruler of Mistral, you have done the same as well.  Don’t you do so every day, with your maids and butlers of lower class?  How are we any different from you?”
To her shock, Queen Usio threw her head back and laughed.  It wasn’t a good humorous laugh, but a haughty and chilling laugh that left many on edge and uncomfortable.  Catherine had a horrid thought that she may have overstepped her bounds, but stood firm.  It would do her no good to look afraid before her queen and bring disgrace to her family.
“You actually think we are the same” Queen Usio laughed before she became deadly serious, “Don’t be so stupid.  Unlike the rest of you, I am no so wasteful with my resources.  I treat all under my rule as equals.  My servants do as they are commanded and are rewarded wonderfully.  Hot food, warm beds, and even fine clothing.  Your servants appear to be in great need of better clothing, and I also believe some of them could use some meat on their bones.  They couldn’t even defend a fly in their condition.”
“Um…Your Majesty,” Rose spoke up timidly, her eyes full of confusion and she appeared to be much smaller than before.
“Yes my dear,” Queen Usio turned to her kindly.
“You… mentioned something about a spell,” the poor girl said, her mind going back to the book she had been reading before, “What do you mean by that?”
“Exactly as I said it,” the queen confirmed, “I placed a spell on Dios to hide his identity.  The spell also acts like a curse.  Since you chose him instead of letting one of the noble girls getting stuck with him, he is trapped in that disguise and is to serve me forever.  I am pretty certain he will be thanking you in kind for your cowardice and selfishness later.”
“You must be jesting,” Emma exclaimed suddenly, “Magic doesn’t exist!  It is a wives’ tale!”
“Are you so certain about that,” Queen Usio turned back with a vicious smile on her face as the room filled with the sound of bones cracking and skin ripping.
“Stay behind me,” Rowen, no… Dios, ordered Rose as they watched in horror at the noble men that have been silent all that time began to make grunting and growling noises.
Some of the noble girls looking at the noble men let out a terrified scream, causing everyone to look at the noble men.  Some had grown so large their heads were nearly brushing against the ceiling.  Others had burst from their clothing as wings and horns grew in different places on their bodies.  A few became covered in mass amounts of fur while others grew scales.  Horribly jagged and sharp teeth grew in their mouths and their overly large hands either had claws on them or broken fingernails.  
“Oh no,” Rose uttered in fear, her mind flashing to the part of the book where William found out about Victor summoning a demon, “Oh God help us.”
“He can’t save you now,” Queen Usio declared as she watched the noble girls run for the doors, only to find them locked by the soldiers outside that had vacated the room while they were talking, “Magic does indeed exist if you know where to find it.  Why do you think we have always called Dios the Paladin?  It’s because he can use magic.  His whole family can, or could have, since they had died long ago.
“I had made my deal with a demon for my power, and it is time to pay up.  As agreed upon, I offer all of you to the one you have chosen.  You only have yourselves to blame.  You did choose to marry them, after all.”
Queen Usio stepped aside and allowed the demons to charged forward, grasping each noble girl as they screamed and pleaded for their lives.
“Do not worry my dear,” Queen Usio turned to Rose and Dios, “As promised, you two will be married and live here for the rest of your lives.  Just think:  no more living on the streets, no more begging for food.  You will have to lend Dios to me every now and then, though, but I’m certain that you’ll get used to it.”
“I am so glad you chose me,” Alfred said to Golde, who was crying as she was held in his massive hands, “You are so plump and smell so delicious.  I shall make a fine meal out of you!”
“Leave me alone,” Pearl screamed as Henry grabbed her, his wolf-like muzzle opening to reveal rows of sharp teeth and a forked tongue licking her face.
“But why,” Henry asked, “You wanted a Wolf King as your husband.  Well, here I am.”
“Let us experiment on you for a change my love,” Daniel said as he held a squirming Amelia with his tail, “How about you drinking those concoctions you made so lovingly last night for me.”
“What’s the matter my dear,”  Christopher asked as Raven was backed into a corner, “Did you not once said that beauty was only skin deep?  Is my true self not beautiful enough for you?”
Raven’s open mouth twitched at the creature before her was so hideous that no words came to her mind in order to describe it.  A minute later, she fainted.
Rose hid her face in Dios’ backside, crying in fear as she heard the noble girls screaming in fright, screaming for help.  Dios pulled her away from his back and turned around to hide her face in his chest, Joan screeching before a sickening crunch silenced her forever.
“Taste like s**t,” they heard Lewis commented.
“I’m so sorry Rowen,” Rose sobbed, tears streaking her face, “I’m so sorry Dios!  If only I had known… if only I read the whole book sooner…”
“Shhhh,” Dios hushed, keeping her from seeing the gruesome sight behind him, “You did nothing wrong, Rose.  If we rewind time, I would want you to choose me anyway.  I rather give up everything to be with you than be with those horrid girls, even if it meant a lifetime of slavery to that monster of a queen that tricked me into this curse.  I love you, Rose.”
“I love you too.”
“Rose?”
They all turn to see Tulip stumbling before them, dress torn and a creature best described as a hobgoblin right behind her.  The noble girl was looking at Rose strangely before her eyes lit up in what could be described as disbelief and recognition.
“You’re…you’re Rose?  My cousin?  Father told me you had died a long time ago.”
“Wait a minute,” Queen Usio stepped in, looking confused, “What do you mean your cousin?  Explain yourself!”
“Years ago,” Tulip began holding up her dress as the hobgoblin stepped away from her, “My father told me that my cousin Rose had died with my uncle Franklin and Aunt Rebecca, her parents.  They died while out at sea in obtaining medicine from the Isles.  My father retrieved me when he and my other aunts and uncles took care of their estate, and we lived in their home ever since.”
“So…you’re father’s Franklin,” the queen turned to Rose, “As in Doctor Franklin, the royal doctor?  The man that was caring for my father?!”
“…. Yes,” Rose answered quietly after a few minutes.
Her answer silenced everyone, the noble girls’ eyes widening in shock.  The poor girl, the street trash they teased and harassed and even sought her death…. was a….
“But I don’t understand,” Tulip exclaimed, “If you were still alive-“
“Your father and our aunts and uncles lied to you,” Rose snarled, anger suddenly rising within her, “I had been ill and was left behind when my parents left.  Their will and testament stated that I was to inherit everything and a dear friend of the family was supposed to care for me until I was of age.  Your father broke in with our aunts an uncles and stole everything from me before tossing me into the streets and told me I was no longer part of the family.  They made certain the dear friend wasn’t contacted to find me.  None of the soldiers believed me when I told them the truth because they paid them all off!  It was because of them I am afraid whenever anyone goes into a massive frenzy over stupid trinkets or even food!  It was because them I had to learn how to survive on the streets and came close to death many times!  An it was because of them that you wear my mother’s necklace around your neck!”
“I…” Tulip was at a loss for words, her hand going to the necklace, “I had no idea.  I… If I had known-“
“You would’ve done what? Search for me?  Get me back my inheritance?  That would mean going against Uncle Michael and you wouldn’t do that!  Especially if it meant losing out on all that you took for granted!”
“I hate to interrupt this lovely family reunion,” Queen Usio stepped between them, looking at Rose, “but are you to say that you are really from a noble family? That you yourself are, indeed a noble?  No some human garbage born from the streets?!”
“If you mean by blood,” Rose took a breath to calm down, “then yes.  But everything else I am not.”
Queen Usio took a few steps back in shock, mind unable to wrap around the revelation that was just told to her.  Rose… the poor girl she picked for her game… what she thought was just mere street garbage… who she was hoping to pick ‘Rowen’ and win… was a noble?  No… this can’t be… This can’t be happening!
Not a mere minute later that she thought that everyone’s attention was turned to the disguised head butler in the room.  Dios became covered in a white glow, raising his hands to see them grew and become more callous than before.  The rest of his body grew several inches taller and his muscles bulge and swell under his now tight outfit, ripping it in several places. The scars on his face healed and the cloudiness in his eyes faded away to reveal glowing teal.  His jaw became a bit more chiseled and his hair thickened in volume.  He gave off a sigh and thrust one of the hands he held up to the side, his clothing transforming into black and white armor as a large sword appeared in his hand.  The glow soon faded, and Dios stood tall and proud before them in his true form, his eyes gazing upon Rose with softness and love.  Rose, in turn, stared at him in shock with wide brown eyes, as if she couldn’t believe that the image before her was real.  Very real.
“Impossible,” Queen Usio took a step back, mind unable to accept that she had lost and her spell was broken.
“It would seem that I have won Your Majesty,” Dios declared in a voice deeper than before, “Now, I believe you will release me from my oath, so then I can take my lovely bride on our honeymoon.”
“No,” the queen yelled after a minute pause, “This doesn’t count at all!  There were suppose to be nineteen nobles and one piss poor wench!  You cheated!!”
“But how can I cheat when you yourself gave her the invitation,” Dios pointed out patiently, although he didn’t feel patient, “I believe I had told you I wanted to be released from my oath so I could help other people in need all over the world and find me a bride.  I also told you I had no interest in you at all.  Are you really going to go back on your word?”
“And what if I am,” Queen Usio snapped, “No one else knows about our deal but those in here.  If everyone else is dead, no one will argue with me!”
“You’re mad,” Rose yelled.
“How dare you,” Queen Usio shouted, then turned to the demons, “Kill them!  KILLTHEM ALL!!!!!”
The demons charged forward, claws and teeth at the ready, as the noble girls screamed and fled anywhere they could.  Dios pulled Rose behind him as he raised his sword, white magic swirling around the blade.  In a blink of an eye, he brought down the sword, cutting down several demons in one swing.  He swung upwards and sent several more demons back with a powerful force.  Rose cried out as a demon snuck up on her and put his hands on her shoulders, but a second later the demon was dead, a sword piercing its skull.
“I’m sorry I’m late to help you,” Tulip breathed, holding the sword before letting go, both girls watching the demon fall to the ground.
“How did you do that,” Rose asked in surprise.
“Father thought it wise I learned a few sword moves,” her cousin blushed lightly.
Both girls moved back, helping the other noble girls as Dios slashed his way through the wall of demons coming for them, the floor and walls decorated in their blood and entrails.  It felt like forever, but it was mere moments before it was over.  Dios stood over the dismembered bodies of the demons, raising his sword and thrusting downwards to rid it of blood.
“This is treason you b*****d,” Queen Usio screamed, hands igniting  with flames, “I will not allow you to leave here alive with your bride!”
Rose looked wide-eyed as the queen aimed for her, too afraid to move.  Dios took aim quick and threw his sword, the tip piercing Queen Usio in her stomach and sending her into a wall.  She choked up blood as the paladin walked up to her and pulled out his sword, decapitating her a second later.
“He…” Bridget uttered in disbelief, “He killed the queen….”
“She was trying to kill us all,” Mary stated in his defense.
“No one is gong to believe that Her Majesty made deals with demons,” Dorothy pointed out, “We’re all as good as dead.”
“We did nothing,” Catherine stated, making everyone look at her, “We did nothing.  We were here to play a game with Her Majesty, and Dios came with a horde of soldiers to kill us all.”
“Are you crazy,” Octavia exclaimed, “You really want to frame our savior?  Is there nothing you won’t do to save your own hide?!”
“He killed our queen,” Catherine pointed out, “And where is your proof that Her Majesty was the one who made a deal with demons anyway?  As Dorothy said, no one is going to believe that demons and magic exist.  We have to protect ourselves and our honor.  Can you truly say you will tell your families the truth of what happened here?  And as far as anything else goes, Rose here is still street trash.  Cast out by her family.  It’s our word against his and hers, unless you want to side with them?”
“You are evil,” Claire commented dryly, “We still have the soldiers outside guarding the doorway.  If you want out, perhaps you should be nicer to our savior.”
“You are truly stupid,” Catherine stated with authority in her voice, “With Her Majesty’s death and having no heirs or successors, the throne is empty.  At least you know what that means, don’t you… Dorothy?”
“With no heir,” Dorothy began slowly, “The High Council will decide whether to appoint a steward to rule until someone is chosen as the new royal family, or pick someone from the council as the new ruler.  They will determine by vote, which could take a month at least to do so.”
“Exactly, and every noble family is eligible.  That is, if they have no crimes hanging over their heads.  Such as being part of the former queen’s murder.”
“But we didn’t do anything,” Emma cried out, tears falling down her cheeks.
“As I said earlier, we were here to only play a game with Her Majesty.  Dios was the one that murdered her, on behalf of the garbage.”
“You devious w***e,” Fayette snarled quietly.
“Put the blame on the garbage and save ourselves,” Elanor said, “or be hung for treason, even if the blood isn’t on our hands.”
“You would do that for us won’t you,” Catherine walked up to Rose, her voice thick with honey and deceit, “You would confess and save us all?”
“Don’t do it Rose,” Tulip stood by her aide with one hand on her cousin’s shoulder.
“And why should you listen to her,” Catherine pointed out, “Her family betrayed you.  Your family betrayed you.  They left you in the streets to die.  She was even willing to let you die during this game.  At least your execution for the queen’s death will be meaningful:  by allowing us to live.”
“You mean allow you to aim for the throne to rule,” Rose corrected with a scowl on her face, “I don’t even see why you’re asking me.  You’re going to frame Dios and I anyway, because that is the kind of monster you really are.  Far worse than the queen or those demons.”
“How dare you,” Catherine yelled loudly and went to slap Rose, but was caught by one of the soldiers barging in, “You should be honored that I even asked you!”
“There is no honor in dying for those that don’t deserve it,” Dios stated, the first words he said in awhile.
“It is good to see you again sir,” a soldier came up to the paladin, shaking hands with him, “I take it this is your work.”
“She never could take no for an answer Phillip,” Dios answered as they looked at Queen Usio’s corpse.
“He did it,” Emma screamed loudly as soldiers pulled her and several noble girls out of the room, “He’s  murderer!  Him and his w***e!”
“From what I can see little lady,” Phillip said as he looked around, “It looks like you were all attacked by demons and Dios came to the rescue, although a bit too late to save Her Majesty.  The High Council will reward him as a hero, and suggest all of your families should too.”
“Traitor,” Dorothy muttered, hoping to see Rose and Dios hung while wheedling her way to getting the throne.
“Are you really that stupid,” Rose stated, “When you’re all the way at the top, you can’t see how many enemies you may have until you tumble down.”
Those words struck home with may of the noble girls.  Just how well did any of them knew Queen Usio?  Just how many enemies did the queen really had?  Did she really had to rely on the power of demons to keep her throne?  Or had she been so insane with power that she hadn’t realized it?
Sadly, Queen Usio would be taking those secrets right to her grave.


© 2019 Omegax45


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on January 6, 2019
Last Updated on January 6, 2019
Tags: mystery, fantasy, romance, pacts, society


Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45