Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Omegax45
"

Rose and Rowen find something in common and Rose shows off her knowledge when Queen Usio gives her contestants their first task in the game.

"

The Game


by omegax45


 


Chapter Five


 


                        “Well now,” Rowen began, “Seeing as I have been dismissed from my duties, where would you like to go?”


                        “If you don’t mind,” Rose answered after a minute of thinking, “can we go see the library again?”


                        “Of course,” the head butler smiled gently and led the way, “Are you able to read?”


                        “My mother taught me when I was a child.  She always told me that I would attract more suitors if I had an education.”


                        “A wise woman she was,” Rowen complimented as they entered the library, “As Marin said earlier, we have a variety of books here.  This section is about the history of many kingdoms, including this one.  This section is about astrology and mathematics, or what did survive from the Great Fire of Dumei years ago. This large section is solely fiction, and it is divided into different genres.”


                        “Is there a section on mystery?”


                        “Why yes,” Rowen drifted his fingers across the hard spines of the books before reaching one, “This is the section here.  It’s small due to not much demand for this genre.  Do you really like mysteries?”


                        “Uh-huh.”


                        “Do pardon me, but I find it odd that a young woman like you would be into this genre.  Most young women I come across are into romance.”


                        “I get that quite often,” Rose chuckled, “My father had a large section of mystery books, most he collected while on his travels.  I like to read them and try to solve the mystery before reaching the answer at the end.  I would spend days on one book before going on to the next.  I find the solving part more fun than the story.”


                        “Well then,” the head butler pulled out a book and handed it to her, “You may wanna try your luck with this one.  It happens to be my favorite.”


                        “Oh thank you,” Rose smiled brightly as she looked at the book before hugging it, “I haven’t read this one yet, but I know the author.  I will certainly enjoy it.”


                        “Feel free to search for a few more if you wish.  We only ask that you return the books in their proper condition.”


                        “Of course,” Rose agreed and looked through the small section of books, grabbing a few more.


                        “Excuse me,” a servant knocked before entering the library, “Dinner has been prepared.”


                        “Thank you Preston,” Rowen replied, “Come, Milady.  We can drop off the books in your room along the way.”


                        They followed the servant back to the dining hall after they made a short stop to drop off the books in Rose’s room.  As usual, some of the noble girls were complaining about the meal about to come out.


                        “Why can’t they make us what we want,” Golde complained loudly, “We are guests, after all!”


                        “And you heard the head maid earlier,” Octavia reminded, “There are limited supplies and the meals are based on Her Majesty’s wishes.  If you seek to further complain, then take your complaints to Her Majesty.”


                        “If you dare to incur her wrath,” Elanor grinned wickedly, “As one that was once a queen in her past life, I ill-advised against it.  She might take it as an insult and have you beheaded.”


                        “So you delude yourself,” Golde sneered back, “If you were once royalty, why aren’t you now?  A noble position is a bit steep for one that once tasted the greater things in life.”


                        “How dare you!”


                        “Enough,” Fayette snapped, silencing everyone, “As honored guests, it is not our position to question what our gracious host has to offer.  Be fortunate you are still here and not thrown out in disgrace to your families.  Now keep it down!  You are spoiling the meal.”


                        Everyone turned back to their empty plates after a tense brief minute, Octavia giving Fayette an angry look before she turned back to her own.  The servants came out a few seconds later with the food, serving each a big helping before disappearing back into the kitchen.


                        “This food is too salty,” Joan complained loudly while reaching for her glass, “I can’t possibly eat this!”


                        “Taste fine to me,” Golde said between bites, “Maybe a little ginger wouldn’t hurt.”


                        “I was thinking the same thing,” Alfred agreed, “It would balance out the saltiness with a touch of sweet.”


                        “My mother is teaching me all of her recipes so my children will have nothing less than perfect,” Helen boasted, shooting Rose a smug, “I am certain your mother is teaching you well.  Oh wait!  You can’t afford such good foods.  My apologies.  Probably best if you don’t have children, lest you want to bring them into this world to only starve on stale bread and spoiled meat.”


                        “There was no need for that Helen,” Mary scolded, “Seeing as she will soon be wed to the head butler of this castle, I am certain her children will go without.  They will just have to make due without the finer things in life, that is all.”


                        “Such a shame she didn’t choose a noble beforehand,” Catherine commented, “Then again, she knows her place, so she must be content with him.  Even if he is quite hideous.”


                        “I agree,” Ivy added, “I can’t even look at him in the face without feeling my stomach churn.”


                        “Can you two please stop,” Pearl stated, “I am trying to eat here.  Leave the poor class and servant be.  There will be another time for your jeers.”


                        “Yes,” Tulip agreed, “Could you?”


                        The noble girls made noises of annoyance, but did as told.  Rose and Rowen, on the other hand, had ignored their insults and had finished their meal before them.  Rose herself was getting tired of the complaining of the food, which tasted wonderful to her.  She was certain the servants were tired of the complaining as well, seeing as they hid in the kitchen throughout the meal.  She hated how they insult Rowen, a war hero, for his scars.  She saw nothing wrong with them at all, and the story behind them made her sad.  She was glad that he had been surrounded by good friends throughout the entire ordeal.


                        Once the meal was done, the noble men and Rowen led the noble girls and Rose to their rooms.  The noble men bid the noble girls good night while the noble girls flirted with the noble men, making Rose feel uncomfortable.  She was only grateful when she reached her room.


                        “This is where we part until morning,” Rowen said, “I bid you good evening, my lady.”


                        “And you as well kind sir,” Rose bowed her head before Rowen closed the door.


                        Rose turned around with a sigh to find a large bathing tub in her room again, hot water steaming out of it with two buckets of water next to it.  She undressed and used the cold water in the buckets to make the water in the bathing tub the right temperature before immersing herself in it with a sigh.  The water felt good to her aching muscles and she found herself relaxing.


                        ‘I wish I could have a nice bath like this every day,’ she thought, but she knew it was wishful thinking.  The noble girls were wrong about her.  Rowen won’t be marrying her when the game was over.  She was far beneath him.  She would end up back in the streets using rainwater or the nearby stream to wash.  Once again, her thoughts turned to Joseph.  She wondered how his family was doing, and if he was making enough coins for them.  She knew he was doing fine before they met long ago, yet she still worried.  He was like a little brother to her.  She couldn’t stand the idea that something could’ve happen to him.


                        Rose soon got out after giving her body a good scrub with the soap and dried off before dressing in her nightgown and slipping under the bed with a pillow and blankets.  She cuddled under the blankets and fell asleep.  She dreamt of balls and fancy dresses, of people that loved her and bright smiles all around.  Of warmth and comfort and safety.  It was such a wonderful dream that she shed a single tear in her sleep.


                        Rose was awake early once again.  She got out from under the bed and remade the bed before getting dressed.  There was a knock on her door and she opened it to see Rowen on the other side along with a few servants.


                        “Good… morning,” Rowen greeted, a bit confused, “You are dressed.  And the room….”


                        “I am not used to being waited on,” Rose replied with a shrug, “I’m sorry.  Should I have waited for you?”


                        “No need,” a servant smiled brightly, “We want our guests to be comfortable, so if you are happy to tidy up your room, be our guest.”


                        “Simon,” Rowen scolded, “Now you three go get the bathing tub that I am certain has been in there since last night and have another ready by tonight.  My lady, shall we head to the dining hall to break our fast?”


                        “O-of course,” Rose blushed slightly and they headed to the dining hall.  The noble men were waiting at the noble girls’ doors with other servants, some of the noble girls complaining about how early it was to be awake while others were not even awake yet.


                        “I told you to wake me when the sun is a little over the horizon,” Bridget yelled at the servants, “Not before! So sorry to have these lowly fools wake you early, dear Charles.”


                        “There is no worry my dear,” Charles smiled, “but I am afraid that rising early is a must.  Her Majesty will be here soon.”


                        “Then let’s not make her wait!  Hurry, you fools!  I must be perfect before Her Majesty arrives!’’


                        “Hm,” Sarah said in deep thought as she looked over a few dresses the servants were holding, “Should I wear this one?  Or this one?  I wish I could’ve brought some of my designs from home.”


                        “I’m certain any dress you wear will look beautiful on you,” Edward replied.


                        “I can’t wait to see what Her Majesty has planned for us,” Amelia giggled happily, “I hope it’s something entertaining.”


                        “I’m pretty certain it is,” David replied as he helped her put on her shoes.


                        Rose and Rowen were the first to arrive in the dining hall, waiting several moments before the nobles arrived.  Breakfast was served, simple bacon with toast, slices of ham, and oatmeal.  A few of the noble girls complained, mainly Golde and Joan, but otherwise the meal was silent.  Once they were finished, which was quickly, Marin came before them.


                        “Now everyone,” Marin began, “Her Majesty Queen Usio request your presence in the stables.  Today, we will begin the game.  Do mind your manners and speak truthfully to her.  Insubordination will not be allowed.”


                        They followed Marin out of the dining hall and into the hallways.  They entered the stables, where Queen Usio was waiting for them, sitting on her horse Lina with a page by her side.


                        “Good morning everyone,” Queen Usio greeted, “Your first challenge in the game begins today.  I have heard about your complaints about the food we offered here to you, so today is your opportunity to eat a feast fit for royalty. 


                        “Your chosen men will be going on a hunt today with me.  What they hunt for, however, is up to you.  The catch is, the prey of choice must be an animal that Dios had hunted during his time on the battlefield.  Think carefully.  If your chosen man successfully brings said animal back, you will be able to eat dinner tonight.  If he is unsuccessful, you will go without.  If, by chance, you choose correctly AND your chosen man is successful, you will have the honor of dining with me tonight.  The midday meal will be served as I had ordered it.  The servants are on orders to not give you any other type of food and the kitchen will be locked up.  Anyone caught trying to break into the kitchen or sneaking food will be disqualified.


                        “Now girls.  What will your chosen man hunt for?”


                        “I choose deer,” Claire said after a few minutes, “Dios would’ve hunted something large enough to feed him  and his fellow soldiers.”


                        “I agree,” Tulip replied, “I go with deer.”


                        “Too easy,” Elanor stated, “I am choosing bear.  Someone as powerful as Dios would’ve showed off his strength by slaying such a beast and bring enough meat with him so he can concentrate more on the fighting than hunting for food.”


                        “I agree to that as well,” Fayette replied, Marigold, Golde, Emma, Pearl, and Bridget nodding.


                        “It would be a wonderful test of strength ,” Amelia said, “I too shall choose bear.”


                        “You are insane,” Sarah exclaimed, “I am choosing deer.”


                        “As will I,” Octavia agreed, getting nods from Ivy, Joan, Raven, Catherine, Dorothy, Mary, and Helen.


                        “So I hear bear and deer,” Queen Usio said, her page writing down the noble girls’ choices, “Now, my dear poor child, what will you choose?  Will you choose deer?  Bear?  Or something else?”


                        “Well,” Rose said, thinking for a minute, “I choose rabbit.”


                        The noble girls looked at her with blank stares for a few minutes before some began giggling.  They all burst into full laughter a minute later, pointing at her in mockery at her choice.  Queen Usio waved a hand and everyone became silent.


                        “May I ask why you chose rabbit,” Queen Usio asked Rose, “Your fellow companions have chosen bear and deer, so why choose something so small, and seemingly insulting, to Dios?”


                        “A bear or deer would be too heavy for even one such as Dios to carry all the way back to his camp,” Rose explained, “Dressing them on the field would take a long time and leave Dios vulnerable to predators and enemy soldiers alike.  The excess meat would spoil too quickly, as soldiers lacked the means to salt the meat properly to preserve it.


                        “A rabbit is easy to catch and carry back to the camp.  He can dress it there without wasting time, and there wouldn’t be excess to carry around and weigh them down.  Also it isn’t the season for bear or deer, so rabbit seemed to be the right choice.”


                        “What an excuse,” Dorothy sneered, the noble girls snickering, “You just want to make it easy for your scarred husband to hunt.  He must be a weakling, not even a man at all.”


                        “And you want your men to die easily,” Rose countered, silencing them, “Bear?  Are you serious?  You need a group of hunters to take one adult down.”


                        “The choices have been made,” Queen Usio  declared, the page giving each of the noble men and Rowen the reigns of a horse, “You will only hunt for the animal your chosen girl has chosen, nothing else.  We will be hunting until sunset.  Bear in mind, your failure will also mean you go without dinner tonight.  Now, pick you horse and let us be off.”


                        The noble girls and Rose watched the men gathered on the horses and followed Queen Usio off into the forest waving and cheering them on.  Rowen stopped briefly to give Rose a nod before following them as well.


                        “Now then girls,” Marin said, clapping her hands to get their attention, “While we wait, you are allowed into either the library, the sitting room, or back into your own rooms.  Roaming anywhere else is forbidden.  Off with you then.”


                        The noble girls and Rose headed back inside, the noble girls scattering while Rose headed back to her room.  She took out a mystery novel and began to read it, finding it very fascinating.  She decided to seek out Marin or a servant for a piece of paper, an ink well, and a quill to write with.  She liked to write down the clues she could spot while reading the story and try to solve it before reaching the end.


                        She left her room and searched for Marin or a servant, ignoring the sneers and whispers of the noble girls she passed.  They weren’t worth her time.


                        “Excuse me,” Rose turned to see Tulip and Mary walked up to her, curiosity in their eyes, “If I may ask, you said that deer and bear are not in season, correct?’


                        “Indeed, I did.”


                        “What makes you think so,” Tulip asked, “The hunters have always come back with deer, sometimes a bear, all the time.  Why now would they not find them?”


                        “You need to know where to look,” Rose explained, “I met many hunters around Minstal while tending to their clothes.  I have asked them once to teach me how to hunt.  A few gave me sound advice on what seasons to be wary of, how to make traps and weapons, and the means to dress an animal.  The animals change locations depending on the time of the year for survival.  Deer and bears tend to go deeper into the forest and prepare for winter and gather more food.  That’s why the hunters take much longer to find them.  Rabbits don’t leave where they make their dens, so that is how I know they would be the easiest to find.”


                        “But how can you make weapons if you can’t afford the means to make them?”


                        “Not every poor person is useless as you may think.  We can learn how.  We can experiment with whatever we can find in the forest or in the garbage.  It’s either learn to survive with what little you can find, or die.  We don’t have money continuously filling our pockets to spend every day for food and clothes.  Don’t be surprise, but the things we find to make the weapons are basically the same things the merchants sell on the market.”


                        Mary and Tulip looked at each other, digesting the information.  If Rose is correct, then….


                        Best not to think about the consequences.  Besides, the poor girl could be lying for all they know, just to throw them off in the game.


                        “If you say so,” Mary concluded and they walked off.  Rose shrugged at the confusing encounter and returned to her search, finding a servant a moment later.


                        “Excuse me,” she asked, “Could you please lend her me a quill pen, a jar of ink, and a piece of paper?”


                        “Certainly milady,” the servant bowed happily, “but do please return to the room you were in before.  Lady Marin’s rules.”


                        “Of course.  I’ll be in my room.”


                        “I shall be there shortly.”


                        Rose smiled softly before returning to her room.  As told, the servant came to her room a moment later with the items she requested.  She thanked him and began setting up the items on a nearby table, pulling the chair close.  Before she could begin, there was a knock on her door.


                        “Young miss,” the same servant from before, “Lunch is ready.”


                        “Thank you,” Rose replied, placing the book down and leaving her room.  She could hear the noble girls complaining before she could reach the hallway leading to the dining hall.  What could they be complaining about this time?


                        “Do you have any idea what you have done,” Emma shouted at the servants, who flinched at the loud tone of her voice.


                        “I doubt they have an ounce of intelligence to know,” Marigold stated, looking just as furious.


                        “What is it,” Rose asked, and Tulip cocked her head to the dining table for her to see.


                        The food the servants had laid out on the dining table were a series of small sandwiches with the crust cut off, biscuit cakes, and tiny desserts that could be eaten in a single bite. 


                        In other words, small snack food.  Rose took a minute to understand the significance of the small meal, something the noble girls were not even taking the time to understand.


                        “It is under Her Majesty’s orders that we served the meal,” a servant, Preston Rose recalled, explained, “We cannot serve anything else.”


                        “We don’t even know when Her Majesty will return with the men,” Golde exclaimed, “Oh, this food will not suffice me!  I will starve beforehand!”


                        “Even I can’t eat this,” Joan whined, “This food is loaded with sugar.  I will get fat in no time!”


                        “Perhaps fasting would be a good thing for you,” Amelia snickered, “You can get the perfect figure if you starve yourself.”


                        “Be silent cur,” Joan glared at Amelia, who raised her chin in challenge.


                        “What are going to do about our midday meal,” Helen asked aloud, “I need to stay in good form for my future children.”


                        “These fools need to know what we can do to them if they continue to disobey us,” Emma stated, “We are nobles, they the servants.  Lower than livestock.”


                        “That is right,” Pearl agreed, “We are higher than them, and Her Majesty isn’t here.  We are in charge here.”


                        “Now do as we say and get us a proper meal,” Elanor demanded the servants.


                        “THAT IS ENOUGH,” Marin stormed into the dining area, getting between the servants and the noble girls, “Did you forget already the rules and what Her Majesty has said?  You are to be fed what we fed you and nothing more!  You are also not allowed to order or threaten the servants!  They are not yours to do as you please!”


                        “I have tolerated your orders long enough you ugly oaf,” Bridget declared, several of the noble girls coming together, “I will tolerated it no longer!”


                        “Marin,” a servant cried out, the other servants gathering before her as Marigold raised a hand to strike her down.


                        “Stop,” Rose yelled, grabbing Marigold’s wrist, “Don’t you remember the rules?  Violence will get you disqualified!  And attacking a servant of royalty will get you hanged!”


                        “How dare you touch me you dirty peasant,” Marigold yanked her hand away in disgust and went to strike her, “You have no right!”




© 2018 Omegax45


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on October 29, 2017
Last Updated on August 6, 2018
Tags: mystery, fantasy, romance, society, demons, pacts


Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45