Long Live

Long Live

A Story by Kathryn Smith

The cynics were outraged. Screaming: “This is absurd!”


Because for a moment a band of thieves in ripped up jeans got the rule the world.


 


Long live the walls we crashed through

How the kingdom lights shined just for me and you

Long live all the magic we made


And bring on all the pretenders


We’re not afraid


 



 

We’re heading into April already! How did that happen? Life is going much too fast for me.


April is a very solemn month for not only me but my entire family. My Grandma passed away in 2011 and then my best friend left us in 2012, both on the date of April 13th. (Strange right?) In this month there will be visits to cemeteries, and memorial masses with memorial lunches. I will let a balloon to the sky and hide from the memories, but they’ll find me anyway. Late at night you'll find me under the covers trying to fight the tears filling up my heart.


Knowing what’s to come, I’ve decided to storm into April with a positive outlook. My plan is to spread joy and love to my friends still here.


I’m that girl who doesn’t have an enormous amount of friends. Instead I have a small and tight circle of them. Some of my closest friends live in Europe. (Which sucks sometimes) but I can’t complain! I love them so much!


 


At the end of the day there are some friends that stick out in my mind.


They are what the definition of a best friend is.


As a 3 year old  my house burned down the ground. When we moved into our new home on my 4th birthday, I was in for a treat of a lifetime not too long after.


 

My mother runs a daycare in our house. As she was just beginning again all she wanted was one little baby to take care of.


She ended up with identical twin boys.


Even though they are 4 years younger than I am, Michael and Nicholas March are my very best friends.


Their parents worked long hours in the summers, so every summer vacation was an endless adventure spent with them.


It was full of climbing trees, long walks, sports games, playing in the sandbox, fights, hikes and visits to the beach in the sweltering sun.

There was always Ice cream to look forward to, endless laughter, mischief and trouble.


We plotted to get my brother in trouble and spied on the neighbors.


Each of us were too creative for our own good.


We ripped apart  and broke my old playhouse to create an airplane. If the adults wouldn't of said no, we would've lived in the woods pretending to be pioneers in the wilderness.


 As the 3 musketeers we were unstoppable and ran the world. Even when Matthew, their little brother arrived a few years later, nothing changed. One more boy made things even more fun.


It is rare to still be close with people you shared the innocence of childhood with.


I have watched the twins grow into men. I’ve seen them take their football team to state and was there for their confirmation at church. Throughout the years we've all been there for one another. I am so lucky.


Michael and I are closest. When I was 10 we decided to get married and created our own wedding. Ever since I’ve always had a spot for him in my heart.


The Marches attend the church my friend is buried at, and in order to get to the church I must always pass their house. Whenever I visit Megan it’s nice to go past their home. All the various memories we share fill up my car as I drive. '

I can still hear the squealing and squeaky laughter of two little boys. I can see Nicholas's gleaming eyes, and Michael's grin. Then I can see my mothers horrified look when she realized they were flooding our bathroom.

Flushing the toilet can't be done just once when it makes a fun sound!


I remembered the other day that the boys will be graduating high school in May.


 

Then the dreaded thought crept in: One day we could be strangers. 



Will you take a moment, promise me this
That you'll stand by me forever
But if God forbid fate should step in
And force us into a goodbye
If you have children someday
When they point to the pictures
 

Please tell them my name
 

Tell them how the crowds went wild
Tell them how I hope they shine

 


 






No matter what happens to us, where we go or what we do, I will always be grateful for the boys who:

Taught me how to throw.

How to be tough.

How to be the big sister I never got to be.

How to get away with trouble.

How to be a teacher and friend at the same time.


 I have a feeling we'll never be strangers. We're like blood siblings.


The 3 musketeers can't be without each other. With all the pictures and snapshots that were taken of our lives we will be remembered forever.  

As the years have gone by, each summer Matthew, Michael and Nicholas stop over to visit. We sit on my porch and reminisce of old memories.  Just catching the look in their eyes when they gaze at our old swing set in the backyard is priceless.

The ghosts of our childhood will always remain.


For we are the only ones who can still see it.


We can see kings and a queen who ruled a kingdom.






Long, long live all the mountains we moved

I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you 

Kathryn Spoerl's photo.

© 2015 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on March 31, 2015
Last Updated on April 15, 2015