Stages & Thoughts

Stages & Thoughts

A Story by Kathryn Smith
"

Inside the mind of a Nanny.

"

First Stage: The beginning


Before the job:


4:30PM What should I wear? Never show your cleavage. Do I look like a messy teenager?


I'll go for the fun look! Never will I ever dress like Ms Frizzle though..that woman was nuts.


I'm so tired...I wish I could stay home and eat chocolate and embrace my inner Beyoncé.


 

4:50 PM Crap! Job is at 5:15! I need to go! Where are my keys? Where the hell are my keys?? UGH I'm so hungry...Screw dinner, I'll just steal food there....


5:10PM: I'm too early, time to drive around the neighborhood! Oh my word...look at these houses!!! What do these people do for a living to afford these suckers? I want that one..NO! I want THAT ONE!


5:15 Sharp: I'm here!! I genuinely hate knocking on doors. Knock Knock Knock*...No answer.


KNOCK* No answer. Stands in awkward silence* What do I do?? Do I just barge in? Are these people deaf? How can they not hear my knocking!? Sigh. I'll knock really loud and just walk in...


5:27PM: Okay. Ya'll wanted me at 5:15. WHY ARENT YOU GONE YET. I hate making uncomfortable small talk. Go have fun so I can be super nanny!


Stage 2: The Fun


5:40PM: Now this is the life! I haven't laughed so hard in ages! How can anyone be so cute?!


5:50pm I could play doctor all day, awww look at their faces! They're enjoying this! I got them both belly laughing...and that kind of laugh could cure anything.


6:15PM: I swear to God if you wack me over the head or pretend to kill me with that sword one more time....smile through the pain! Laugh! Remember: You're in control. YOU are the BOSS.


6:20PM: Make a mental note to write down what he just said, that was the funniest thing ever!


: Okay, time to get them to wind down. Time to tell an epic story.


6:35PM I'm hungry. Should I steal fruit snacks? I think I have an addiction.


7:00:PM Pajama time! Whohoooo!


7:30PM: Are the people who create children's television shows ever on any type of drug?? Who thinks of this stuff?? This is genius!


7:40PM: Awwww...look at his eyes...he's getting sleeeppyyyyy


7:50PM:  You aren't brushing your teeth quite right..but hey. Youre learning. Please don't spit on me.


8:20PM: All cuddled up. Here we go! The race is on. I bet you will fall asleep first, and you second. 





Stage 3:The End


8:30PM: We're still awake, and you don't want to sleep. Time to crack down.


8:40PM: Okay, you're not going to sleep..youre obviously wide awake. Do I smell poop? I should change your diaper.


9:00PM: We've moved to the living room. And you're still tossing an turning. UGH. GO. TO SLEEP!!! One day, you will look back and wonder why you ever hated going to sleep..


9:20PM: Almost there....almost there....leave the room without a peep. I think she's finally asleep.


9:40PM: Was that a noise? Is she awake?


9:50PM: "Tatryn!" Dear God...She's still awake!...uuugghhhhh


10:00PM: Finalllyyyy....after all that tossing and turning, she's finally asleep...and tomorrow she's going to be an absolute monster.


10:15PM:  I'm going to go check on them...aw. They look so peaceful. I hope they had fun tonight.


10:16PM: Will they remember me when they're my age? Will they ever really know how much I loved them? Heart bursts*


10:30PM: Okay. I'm ready to go home.


10:45PM: I'm hungry....Sneaks to cupboard and smuggles fruit snacks into purse* Sorry not sorry! I love these things! Plus I'm saving your children from getting fat...


10:50PM: I'm cold...


11:00PM: Where are they??! What are they doing??


11:25PM: I'm so bored. I'm going to clean some of this house.


11:35PM. Kay. I reealllyyy want to go home now. Time to text half of my contacts!


11:45PM: The garage door! They're HERE!! :D


12:00AM Thanks for having me...enjoy your monster tomorrow! She and he both had a great night.















 

© 2017 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aw man I love they style of this, very fluid writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I loved this! I just went through this today and I just feel glad I am not the only one who thinks all this lol.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I thoroughly enjoyed this, even had a few good laughs. I especially enjoyed the transition from frantic rushing to the soothing pleasures of play time. Nice work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


A unique style of writing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


IT WAS A GREAT AND EXCITING STORY. KEEP WRITING.

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was really a refreshing and fun read for me! I love the go to sleep bit lol seriously one day they WILL look back and miss getting to sleep in no time :p

Cool piece, Kat!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kat, your words are like brush strokes painting a picture for the reader to enjoy and relate to.

Add this to your piece called "Imagination" and we see your wonderful affinity and talent for looking after small children.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

373 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 10, 2017
Last Updated on August 10, 2017