Angel

Angel

A Story by Chloe..Across the Universe
"

a kitten's mother and a child's mother

"
The cat stared down at the huge dog looking up at her barking and snarling. The cat was afraid.
She sensed the dog could not climb the tree, so perhaps she thought at the moment she was safe. Her kittens would be hungry by now. She had to get to them. She remembered how hungry she got when she was a kitten and her mother was not there. She knew what being hungry felt like as she stayed hungry. She had no home, she had no one to care for her, so she did her best. She scoured for mice, bugs, birds and sometimes she would find food out behind the house where the little girl lived. She did not trust humans. The little girl called to her all the time in a soft voice and many times she was tempted to go to the child. To feel a loving touch would have been nice. She couldn't go to her though, as she had approached humans before and was always kicked and cursed.Some threw rocks at her, some let their dogs loose on her. She looked down and saw the dog had gone. Cautiously she made her way down the tree and hurried back to her kittens who were sleeping under an old barn behind the house where the little girl lived. When they sensed their mothers presence they began to meow and walk toward her on wobbly legs. She lay beside them and cradled them to her body as they began to nurse. Soon she drifted to sleep with her kittens close to her.

Some hours later a loud noise awoke her. She instinctively perked her ears. The sound was that of human voices calling out a name, they sounded frightened. 'Clare, where are you ,Clare'? , they yelled. They sounded so worried as they shouted her name over and over. The cat knew something was wrong. She felt as if maybe they were searching for a lost kitten as she would have. Her kittens were crying so she lay back down and let them nurse, her mind thinking of losing one of her kittens. She went back to sleep and did not wake until morning.

She woke hungry and as soon as her kittens were finished with breakfast, she was off to search for her own. When she came out from under the barn, she saw the people in the yard, many people, all of them looking worried . They were still looking for Clare she could tell. She made her way toward the back woods behind the barn. If she was lucky she might catch a tasty rabbit today. She went deeper into the woods. She sensed a noise and smelled a human. Instantly she was on her guard. This human did not sound threatening however, this human sounded afraid and was crying much as her kittens did when they were hungry.She kept alert though not afraid as she felt little harm from this human.

Going farther into the woods the sound became louder, clearer. It was a human crying and calling for 'mommy'. The cat walked to a deep crevice in the ground and she could smell the human, the human was very near. 'Mommy, Daddy, help me , I'm stuck ', the little girl called Clare screamed in a tired voice.
The cat out of curiousity walked closer to the crevice and peered down. There was the little girl who left food for her and called her softly stuck in a deep crevice. The child was crying softly to herself. She looked up and saw the cat. Their eyes met . The cat could sense this human was not like the rest. "Hi Kitty', said the child. The cat gingerly walked down closer to the little girl who reached out a hand and stroked her head so gently. This was the best feeling the cat had ever felt, other than one , that of her kittens. She began to purr and rub her head against the child's hand. 'Kitty, I'm stuck, I wish you had hands so you could pull me out'. "Where is Mommy and Daddy'? The cat stared at her feeling the little girl's fear. Clare's foot was stuck between a a small crevice, her head was almost to the top of the ground, the cat knew the little girl was in trouble. The girl began to cry , her foot was throbbing from pain and she kept trying to pull it free as she tried to pull herself up. She had a ribbon in her hair and as she turned her head it came loose and fell . The cat pawed at the ribbon and it stuck to her claws. She pulled it free with her mouth. The child kept talking to her and crying. She let the little girl pet her ,it felt so nice she almost forgot her kittens. She climbed from the hole with the girl crying , 'come back kitty', she turned to look . Their eyes met again and she felt the child's pain and thoughts . 'Please help me kitty, 'go get mommy , please'..The cat thought she knew what a mommy and daddy was but she had her kittens to think of and couldn't stay. The ribbon was still in the cats mouth as she ran back toward the barn and her kittens. When she came to the clearing she saw the humans coming toward her, she had no place to go other than back into the woods. The woman was sobbing and her husband was telling her not to worry. in a worried voice.

The woman saw the cat, the cat saw the woman, when their eyes met she felt the same calm she had with the little girl. No fear. The woman was shouting something about the cat and a ribbon. 'Kitty' , she called . The cat backed farther away. Something inside her made her stop and she stood very still as the woman approached her. She bent down and gently laid her hand on the cats head. The ribbon had fallen from its mouth and was lying on the ground. 'Here is Clare's ribbon', she called, 'look'. The cat was about to bolt when the woman said gently ,'kitty have you seen my baby'? Baby, kittens, mother. The cat turned back toward the woods as the people followed behind. She had to slow her pace as they were slower than she. Finally she came to the crevice. By that time they could hear Clare's weak voice calling.They rushed to her and gently her father and the sheriff began to pull Clare free. Her foot snapped , and she let out a cry of pain. "Mommy, Daddy' . she said between sobs. Her father carried her back through the woods and put her into the sheriffs car.

The cat watched as the car pulled away. She hurried to her kittens they had been alone long enough. As she lay down for them to nurse she thought of the little girl and woman. They had been kind to her , she liked the feeling of their hands stroking her fur. She drifted to sleep not knowing she had helped save a human child's life. She had went on instinct. Mother and child, cat and kittens.

The next day when the cat went out to look for her breakfast she heard the little girl calling her .Timidly she went to her and the little girl petted her and told her what a good cat she was. It took every ounce of the cat's being to allow the child to pick her up, which was awkward as the child was walking with crutches. She fed her a can of cat food that tasted like the best fish she had ever caught herself.

She called her.Angel. "Wanna be my kitty, Angel, you are my guardian angel cat, so please be my own cat to love? The cat nuzzled her face into Clare's and purred. This was the beginning of a long relationship between Clare and Angel and Angel's kittens as all were taken in and treated like royalty.

And they all lived happily ever after.

© 2008 Chloe..Across the Universe


Author's Note

Chloe..Across the Universe
restoration.. i wrote this for a young man who suffered from anorexia and had been sexually abused as a child .. we both wrote on a site and he said my poems were sad.. he loved cats so i wrote this for him with a happy ending .. and i hope he has one.
I also think mothers be that animal or human have the same love for their young

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the fairy tale ending in this. This would be a very nice story to read to a child before bedtime. It was interesting that there was a lot to be said in this about trust, lacking in it, then cautiously approaching it, until finally feeling comfortable enough to open up a bit. This can be said of humans and animals and I like that you touched upon this nicely.

The references to an animal and/or pet being a guardian angel was nice too.
"She called her.Angel. "Wanna be my kitty, Angel, you are my guardian angel cat, so please be my own cat to love? The cat nuzzled her face to the childs and purred. This was the beginning of a long relationship between Clare and Angel and Angel's kittens as all were taken in and treated like royalty. "

All had a happy ending in this and it was sweet.

Cheers,
Stacy

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Mmm, this is a beautiful story. I absolutely love cats. We've had several litters of strays but because we live surrounded by woods, most of them were taken by predators. I love this story, wonderful write!!!

Heather

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
O!
a noble cause, a beautiful story.....and nothing is stronger than a mother's instinct.

Thank you for writing this.

x,
O!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a touching story, it shows that friendship can cross barriers if we look past our differences and look deep inside to the heart... and also that mothers instinct is one of the most beautiful things in human nature... man you tugged at my heartstrings with humanity string.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really love the story, But I think you should work on the punctuation, though. Also, you should find some different words to use besides 'she' and 'the cat'.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your story has a "Lassie" feel to it and it is so heartwarming with the kitty to the rescue! Your story takes on an even deeper understanding of love the second time around. I'm so happy the little girl was found, you are quite a writer! This makes it even more special knowing it was written for your friend, the young man, who loved cats. Beautiful all the way around!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Finally!! A beautiful story with a happy endings. No-one feels the need to reflect the miracles that life shows us everyday. I loved this. No sorrow, no pain...just a feel good story, with lots of mother / children overtones. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
---
i think this is an incredibly sweet story. I loved how the girl and the cat had a tender bond. I cold see this as a children's book.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a beautiful story. I love cats and celebrations of our feline friends anyway... but this is special. It is really lovely. Well done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is so precious! We have a "MamaCat"...she gave birth to a litter of five under our shed. My brother noticed them first...and we all got to touch them and mommy...and we fed them all. My sister took two home with her and MamaCat took the other three away...I guess she was afraid to lose anymore. But two of them ended up back on my Mom's porch and when I went out to feed them I looked at them and said "do you want to come home with me?" They meowed...probably just wanting fed..but I took it as a yes and brought them home to my apartment. MamaCat had ANOTHER litter of five...which we didn't get to touch when young, so the kittens were very afraid of people. Mom gathered them all up and brought them to the local adoption place...some of them found a new home as mouse catchers in a pet shop...not sure where the others ended up. A squirrel also had a litter of five in our yard...Chester we called PapaSquirrel. It was so great to watch the little squirrels play chase around the tree trunks. My mom and dad had their own litter of five...and the number of our house? Five! Anyway....enough about me! lol Sorry....just had to share my tale of the stray that is now our cat. We had her fixed so she wouldn't have any more babies..and now she comes inside the house.
This story was so great, and I hope it cheered up your friend. I know it was very pleasant a piece which I enjoyed...and it does help to instill the idea that maybe if we all work together, everything will always be ok. It was very sad that she had to deal with torment first....we had horror stories of animal brutality in my neighborhood when I was young. Very sad that people hurt animals. Of course we know the ones who do do so because they were hurt as well. I really enjoyed this tale, and like Virtual Flower has said...it would make a lovely bedtime story for a child! Just wonderful!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is such a beautiful and tender story of basic instincts, human and animal. The mother instinct is one of our stronger instincts we have even supassed by self preservation in most cases. This was such a touching and loving piece. Great write.
Hugs Debby

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

453 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 19, 2008
Last Updated on March 20, 2008

Author

Chloe..Across the Universe
Chloe..Across the Universe

Smalltown, USA, AR



About
Sometimes i feel like an alien in a strange land..can you relate? I love people and friends are just that to me , friends-if you request me as a friend it would be nice if you read something I have .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..