Wrong Body

Wrong Body

A Poem by Paul Bell

Your Haunting death

Like your life

Still leave them cold

They search for reasons

Answers that defy questions

Remember what you told me

Wrong body, wrong time

But not to worry

Get it right next time

So I tell them

Wrong body, wrong time

They can’t define

You were on such a high that night

We laughed until dawn

The final toast

As you lay upon

That haunting smile goodbye

Before you died

One more for the road

Keepsake to the good times

One glass left behind

See you next time my friend

New body, right time.

© 2016 Paul Bell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

'Wrong Body'
Paul Bell,
Tragic ending. This memorial left me very sad. I suppose that death does that. People we love die and they are missed. But the memories do live on. In fact they are long lasting and relived and enjoyed through our a person's life.
Blessings,
Kathy


Posted 5 Years Ago


We put down pets out of mercy, not able to see them suffer anymore....even then the pain of loss tears us down. When it comes people we just can't let them go however much pain and suffering their broken body is putting them through... you pick such a controversial subjects and write about them with ease and class, amazes me.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Deep write about an unexpected good bye. Perhaps that last one for the road should have been skipped. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


The most original & startling aspect of your message is the part where "the night before" is a celebration . . . I've seen documentaries of actual assisted suicides & everyone is somber & steeped in dread. I figure, if you're choosing to go, then why not dance on your way out the door? I think people put too much dread on death -- sometimes it's simply time & who are we to judge. I love the way your poem brings out the side of death & suicide that we never embrace. I'm kinda sick of my broken body, too, & I would love to move on to a new body, right time. To me, this is a celebration of finishing one's hard stint upon the earth. Sorry if this breaks a few hearts.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Paul Bell

7 Years Ago

Totally in agreement with you. Some people don't want to hang around in a world they can't be part o.. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

Thank you . . . (((HUGS)))
First off, let me say, great poem in terms of delivery. However, not sure what this describes. Be it the high experienced prior to suicide or acceptance prior to a natural death. In which case, my response to content would be very different, having experienced the former too often in my life. Thanks for making me think.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Paul Bell

7 Years Ago

Assisted suicide.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A very deep poem, Paul.........

The melancholic tone of this piece, a poem about death and acceptance and aiding one to die, flows from beginning to end quite smoothly. That you have also intimated a sense of hope towards the end of the poem adds another dimension to the theme and story inside it. Sometimes our life, our body, just doesn't seem to fit in the right place in the right time. So we either change our life or end it. Both very difficult things to undertake.
Your poem drifts gently to its conclusion and is a well written piece of work. Well Done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Paul Bell

7 Years Ago

Thanks Doodley
I really enjoyed the tone of this poem. It's beautiful calm flow really sparkled. Loved the reminiscing, the acceptance and the sort of repetition. The formatting worked well and I liked the feeling of hope in the closing likes. Yep, I pretty much liked everything about it! Thanks for sharing! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Paul Bell

7 Years Ago

Thanks Andronicus
We think we can manipulate events
To shape our life in some way or another

but those souls remain entwined

No matter how fast we run out that door ...... i think this is what you were at with this poem

i could be very wrong

Posted 7 Years Ago


Paul Bell

7 Years Ago

He helped him die, that was why there was one glass left.
Nisreen

7 Years Ago

Oooppsssss lol
the mind and spirit are not ready to die...the body says else-wise....

we outlive our bodies, but sometime in the future, perhaps we will be reborn into another....and live again.
and surely those who might really miss us...we will never die in their hearts...

Posted 7 Years Ago


Paul Bell

7 Years Ago

Thanks jacob.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 4, 2016
Last Updated on September 4, 2016

Author

Paul Bell
Paul Bell

About
I like poetry and stories that tell me something. Sometimes the shortest poems hit the hardest. If I post something serious, don't worry, a funny poem will follow. Don't hesitate to tell me if my po.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Poem by Paul Bell


Full Bloom Full Bloom

A Poem by Paul Bell



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Beautiful Beautiful

A Poem by D Connolly