I Will Be Happy Again

I Will Be Happy Again

A Poem by Pauline Marie Daley
"

Its funny how sometimes you think everything's going right, and then something just smashes your perfect world,shattering it into a million pieces... all thats left to do is pick up the pieces.. and move on.

"

I used to wake up to the sounds of birds,
To the sun streaming down my face.
I used to wake up jumping from my bed,
Ready to conquer the world.
I used to wake up looking forward to the day,
Breathing deeply my breath of life.
I used to wake up with an eternal smile,
Living my life to the full.

But in an instant that's all changed.
I've gone from swimming with the stars,
To the miserable core of the Earth.
Tears greet my pillow as my eyes open wide.
Pain stabs my heart as I rise from my bed.
I sit frozen, dreading the day,
As my smile's immortality vanishes.

Maybe one morning the birds will wake me again,
The sun will warm my aching heart.
Maybe one morning I'll breathe deeply again,
And be filled with the wonders of life.
Maybe one morning my smile will return,
And allow me to glow once more.
And maybe one morning, just maybe one morning,
I will be happy again.
 

             by Pauline Marie Daley

              July 21st, 2008

© 2008 Pauline Marie Daley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a truly breathtaking poem. I can relate in all sorts of ways. Your words are placed beautifully and relatable. I love the turn around, and around again. Honestly, this is one of the best poem I have read so far on here. I might be biased as I am currently in perpetual swirl of emotions, but I am not glad to know I am not alone. Thank you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


i really liked this it has soo much meaning!!! i can really relate. keep writing


Posted 15 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this. You've successfully illustrated, in my opinion, how none of us are truly in control -- even when it comes to such a "simple" matter as happiness. You've kicked the, "You're happy so long as you decide you're happy" theory square in the nads.

I know I've said it in previous reviews, but what you have here provides a relatively general summary of an idea. I'd be interested to see what you could come up with when focused in on specific tangible instances that make the narrator feel the way that he or she does.

I like your "miserable core of the earth" line. It makes me think of the summers here in south Louisiana. Seriously though, you could use some "miserably hot" descriptive language and just run wild with the idea. Later on in the same stanza, you talk about "sitting frozen," and the same idea would apply with colder language. Just a couple ideas.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I definately like what you have to say, and I look forward to reading more. Have a good one and definately keep up the good work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


You know this happiness is a very ambiguous concept. Sometimes, you think you are happy for some reasons, but afterwards you came to know that you cannot be happy for the same reasons. It keeps on changing from time to time actually. We definitely find ways to sooth ourselves when we are in distress, and that is the perfect thing to do. You have to find your previous means to get happy for, and you will see sadness will not touch you.

Mind and soul are interrelated with body to act. So, let mind go hand-in-hand with the body - there will be least possibility to get remorse.

So, there 'maybe one morning, just maybe one morning' will not be there. It will always be a 'Must be' in place of 'Maybe'.

I like your poem. The structure and the simplicity mixed with fine words occupy the mind for long.

Good Work.

Thank you.

Raja

Posted 15 Years Ago


soooo deep i ain't even got one clue what you even talkin bout son!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Hi Pauline,

This is a very nice write. I agree with other reviewers that the hint of hope to return to happiness is a nice touch at the end. What is missing from this poem, what the reader longs to hear so that they can fully sympathize and share more fully with you, is a missing stanza between the second and third that explains why "in an instant that's all changed". What happened? The readers are left as outsiders and can't come in, although they want to. Its as if you invited them into your heart, but at the last moment closed the door, assuring them its alright. It would be much more satisfying emotionally if you took them in, sat them down, told them what is upsetting you so much, and then reassured them that everything would be alright.

Technically the writing is just fine. It's just that missing explanation concerning what this poem is really all about that seems missing to me. Otherwise, a very fine write. Your style is excellent.

Very best regards,

Rick

Posted 15 Years Ago


I think a lot of us here can relate to that feeling. What I really like about this poem is that there's that tinge of hope, that hope hasn't died just yet.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I enjoyed reading this. It filled me with a sense of longing, even though I usually enjoy my own days. It made me want to go back into the past and wake up as a child on a Saturday morning, but it also gave me hope too. The maybes. The optimistic ending. It was a great read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


"Pain stabs my heart as I rise from my bed.
I sit frozen, dreading the day,"

These lines couldn't have hit any closer to home. This piece was wonderfully written. I enjoyed it from start to finish. I actually read it a few times; it describes my day in a nutshell...
Thank you for sharing.


Posted 15 Years Ago


this was very honest,
i am kinda prone to depression so this piece hit kinda hard.

as mentioned in your description.
sometimes you just think you know how things are going to work out
but in the end things shatter in your hands.


thank you for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

531 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 21, 2008
Last Updated on July 21, 2008

Author

Pauline Marie Daley
Pauline Marie Daley

About
What about me? I havent been around the site much but i miss getting everyone's great review, ideas and suggestions. Writing is an amazing emotional outlet that has helped me through some pretty rough.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ripples Ripples

A Poem by Lalli


Wordsmith Wordsmith

A Poem by Lalli