Death by Platitude Cladding

Death by Platitude Cladding

A Poem by Phill Oz O'fee
"

A platitude is a trite, meaningless, or prosaic statement, generally directed at quelling social, emotional, or cognitive unease.

"

Death by Platitude Cladding


We should not have to once again

Bear witness to an avoidable catastrophe

Where lives were taken before their time

And grieving overwhelms and shakes the soul

Of everyone effected by such atrocious events


Frozen eyewitnesses stunned by the magnitude

As the disastrous inferno too rapidly engulfed

Human, social, cultural and housing inter-structures

All collectively unfolding through media and mobile

By both those on looking and trapped residents


The responding rescuers were heroes in every sense

Doing everything to restrain the blazing beast

And save those tenants they could securely reach

Disregarding their own personal safety in the process

Their focus on the needs of others before their own


The light that will not let the darkness conquer

Was also there for all too humbly respect

And that was the response of public support

The gifts, assistance and comforting community

Underlining humanity within us is magnificently alive


There is an irritating address that has arisen

And that is of recrimination and anger voices

Thought-terminating clichés of distant discord

Will need examination by an appointed judicial

To ascertain the perpetrators of death by platitude cladding


Phillozofee @ 2017

© 2017 Phill Oz O'fee


Author's Note

Phill Oz O'fee
My prayers are with the families ...........

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The banality and Useless platitudes that surface after mind-numbing, senseless tragedies occur, are graphically exposed in image and words here. In the midst of death, the focus is on hurling blame instead of helping the survivors. This poem lauds the everyday heroes and their selfless actions. It cries that catastrophies like this should not keep happening. Bravo!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There's so much to be said about the 9/11 attacks & you've done a good job of selecting the core issues in a manageable way. I very much love the way you've addressed "platitudes" which are oppressive & dismissive & destructive & annoying. However, I'm not completely sure your poetic message actually ties these two concepts together solidly for me.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I remember the anger you mention in the voices of those frozen eyewitnesses the next day. Putting lipstick and greed may have played a part. You summed it up well.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The banality and Useless platitudes that surface after mind-numbing, senseless tragedies occur, are graphically exposed in image and words here. In the midst of death, the focus is on hurling blame instead of helping the survivors. This poem lauds the everyday heroes and their selfless actions. It cries that catastrophies like this should not keep happening. Bravo!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's really messed up that this has become a part of our "everyday lives" I read somewhere that we are less frightened by horror movies now a days because we see much worse in our real lives, a sad and honest write, nicely penned!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's really disturbing when a disaster of such magnitude occurs and we're left blaming on who's fault it was...
You cleverly constructed poem definitely speaks volume. My prayers have been with the families too...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phil Oz Oz O'fee,
Your Author's note really speaks to the real need regarding this catastrophe. "My prayers are with the families..."
I have seen two media coverage-news casts regarding this great and awful fire. It leaves me speechless! I feel helpless in a situation of this nature. so you are so right; platitudes just add to the pain. I truly appreciate your well written tribute to those hurt, killed and effected by this tragedy.
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My heart goes out to the families.

A thought provoking take on the "official" response following this tragedy.

Mmmm... food for thought! Thanks for sharing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

644 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 15, 2017
Last Updated on June 16, 2017

Author

Phill Oz O'fee
Phill Oz O'fee

Winchester, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom



About
I am caught in a time spiral of confusion; that period we all experience between birth and death. Somewhere inside hides a poet, writer, lyricist and/or whatever, laying dormant and suppressed by s.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Long after... Long after...

A Poem by Gee