The Big Announcment

The Big Announcment

A Story by Poppletron
"

Day 7 Prompt: The door looked like it had been boarded off hastily. Inside was a small room filled with different types of masquerade masks.

"

The door inside the stagnant mansion looked like it had been boarded off hastily. Inside a small room filled with different types of masquerade masks. A ready supply, if ever the occasion should call for there use, left under a thickening layer of dust. Blue and red. Bird and cat. Why leave such novel things to be forgotten.
One seems to stand apart from the other. I reach out and grab it from off the wall. Rubbing the dust away to reveal its hidden beauty and splendor. The deep purple shine almost dancing under my flashlight.
"What's your story?" I ask it.
A ghost-like draft from behind.
Laughter and comradery on the stairs.
A haunting melody from deep within the ballroom.
I put on the mask and exit the small room wearing a dress to match. The derelict surrounding transformed, returned to its former glory I look around in awe.
"Oh, there you are." A man wearing a red mask says to me. "Hurry let's get to the ballroom, so we can get at least one dance in before the big announcement." His arm outreaches. I take it out of curiosity and he escorts me.
We enter the ballroom. All around hundreds are dancing or having fun off to the side.
"Come on." He urges and we make our way onto the floor. He grabs my waist, I grab his shoulder and hand in hand our dance begins.
One... Two... Three...
"You sure have been quiet tonight," he tells me.
"I've just had a lot on my mind is all," I reply.
"The big announcement?"
One... Two... Three...
"The big announcement, yes."
"It better astounding."
"Wouldn't want it any other way."
One... Two... Three...
"There's the woman I fell in love with all those years ago."
"Has it really been that long?"
"With you, eternity wouldn't be long enough."
One... Two... Three...
"Oh, go on I do insist."
"I'd have to be killed before I'd stop."
"Then, do your worst."
One... Two... Three...
"Perhaps later though."
"How come?" I plead.
"Because it appears the song is coming to a close."
One... Two... Three...
The music ends and all come to a stop. A woman in black walks onto a set stage at the back of the room.
"Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm sure you've all been waiting patiently all night, but the wait is over." Hollers of agreement sound from the crowd. "It's been quite the busy year for us, hasn't it been? I look at all of you and think, 'Oh, what great we have done.' I can't believe we've come this far. However I'm not the one who should be talking, so can we have our... Esteemed leader up here?"
One by they all turn to me. I turn to him.
"Go on, I'm sure you'll do great." He whispers words of assurance.
"Come on up dear and tell us all the big news." The lady calls.
I slowly make my way to the stage. As I went the crowd parted in what seemed to be a mixture of fear and respect. What's going on? I was willing to play along before, but now things have changed.
I reach the stage and walk up the stairs.
"There we go, I'm sure these fine people would like to hear what you have to say."
I look out at the crowd eagerly awaiting the words from the woman they thought I was.
"The big announcement..." I had no idea what to say but didn't seem to matter because they came out of my mouth anyway. "I believe Meril put it best when she said, 'It's been quite the busy year.' An understatement really. It is because of this that the humans have grown restless. Even now they conspire and plot our very demise, but we are a proud people and will not stand for such insults. Tonight we-"
The doors burst open and someone runs in crying out, "They're storming the mansion." before being shot in the back and falling to the floor.

The vision ends and I'm left staring at the mask, only now noticing the splatter of crimson upon its face.

© 2018 Poppletron


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on October 25, 2017
Last Updated on December 15, 2018

Author

Poppletron
Poppletron

UT



About
Aubrey Allen Poppleton more..

Writing
Nostalgia Nostalgia

A Poem by Poppletron