Alice and Lena

Alice and Lena

A Story by Maureen
"

Alice and Lena are two women who have built a family and a life together, but what happens after the loss of some dear? and the tragic events continue when one of them end up hospitalized.

"

***This story takes place before gay marriage was legal in all 50 states***


"Lena" Alice called out from the bottom of the stairs. After a moment of silence she called out once more. "Lena, come on we're gonna be late" Alice put one hand on the railing post and began to tap her fingers. A few more seconds and Lena had finally come out of the bedroom. Her stomach had finally began to grow in size, she looked to be about six months pregnant. Alice smiled at her as she was walking down the stairs, keeping one hand on the railing and taking her time.


"Alright, alright. I'm coming" Lena had finally made it down to the bottom of the steps and kissed her lovers lips softly.


"Well I hope your ready to go, because if we wait any longer we're going to be late" Alice informed her. Lena rolled her eyes and walked into the dinning room. She grabbed her purse that was hanging off of a chair, and headed out the door with Alice closely behind her.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The doctors office seemed to take several hours to get in. Once they were in the doctors office Lena lied in the bed with Alice to her side holding her hand gently. The doctor walked into the room looking like the weight of the world was on her shoulders.


"Good morning Ms. Smith" the doctor looked up from her clipboard and smiled to Alice. "Oh, are you her sister?" She asked with a shocked look on her face. Alice was hesitant to answer.


"Uh, no I'm her fiancé" the doctor nodded and looked to Lena.


"You two are aware that gay marriage is illegal in this state?" The doctor asked not convinced that the two women were in fact planning a wedding. Alice gave her a smile and nodded.


"No one said we were gonna get married in this state, we might be waiting for marriage to be legal in all 50 states before we get married, doctor. Now if you may would you please inform us on how the baby is doing?"


The doctor scoffed under her breath but nodded.


"Sure. The baby is fine, and it looks like your baby should be here just in tome for the holidays" She smiled at Lena but refused to even look at Alice. Lena looked to Alice and gave her soft smile.


"Sweety" Lena began as she sat up. "Look, some people just don't understand that marriage can be more than a man and a woman. Now come on we have to pick up Maddison" She stood up and took Alice's hand as they left the doctors office.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Hi baby" Alice said as Maddison got into the car.


"Hi momma, hi mommy" she sat down and tossed her backpack on the floor of the car.


"Hi honey, how was school? Mommy and I are sorry we are kind of late" Lena smiled at her.


"That's okay, Jackson's mommy was late too so we got to talk. School was okay. I got in trouble for talking back to the teacher" She admitted, she looked to the floor.


Lena sighed "Baby, mommy and I have talked to you about this. Why did you talk back to her?" Maddison was quite and didn't answer.


"Maddison May, answer your momma" Alice said looking at her through the mirror. Maddison sighed


"Because I didn't like the assignment. She told us to write a short story but got mad at me and told me mine couldn't have two boys as the main characters."


Lena looked to Alice "Wow, is it everybody in this state? That's it we are so moving, right after this baby is born." Alice nodded looking to her.


"Momma! we can't move, what about my best friend?" Lena thought to herself for a moment.


"Honey, there will be video chat. and you guys can chat every night okay?" Maddison didn't answer instead she crossed her arms.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


At 3:36 in the morning Lena was waking Alice up. Alice sat up and rubbed her eyes "Baby, is everything alright?" She asked looking worriedly to her. Lena shook her head and her eyes were filled with tears. She whispered slightly.


"I think my water just broke" she was so quite Alice almost didn't hear her. She climbed out of bed and looked to the en suit bathroom, there was a puddle of water. "Its to early" Lena said. Alice pulled her into a warm embrace and kissed her cheek.


"Okay, I'll get Maddison you just be ready to go."


Alice walked into Maddison's room and woke her up. Maddison began to whine slightly. Alice picked her up "Come on baby. we have to go somewhere" she kissed her forehead and grabbed a smaller blanket wrapping her in it.


"Why mommy?" her voice sounding weak and tired. Alice bit her lip


"Because momma is about to have a baby" Maddison closed her eyes and yawned. Alice walked into her room and looked to Lena. She kept her voice at a whisper so she didn't wake up Maddison again. "do you want me to call Jess?" Lena looked to her and nodded.


Alice made the call to Lena's brother on their way to the hospital.


After what seemed like an eternity Lena had given birth to a baby girl. Alice heard the flat line and looked to Lena. She was breath and looking to Alice, she wasn't completely sure what was going on. Alice looked around and all the doctors were swarming the baby. Alice felt her heart sink to her stomach.


Lena was now fully understanding what was going on, she squeezed Alice's had tightly, when Alice looked to her she had tears running down her face. "Alice, please tell me its gonna be okay?" Alice bit her lip and looked back over to the baby.


"Honey I don't know" she was on the verge of tears but was trying to remain strong for Lena. There was a small beep and the flat line sound had completely stopped, it was instead replaced with small quick little beeps. Alice smiled and turned to Lena "It's gonna be okay"


The delivery doctor had approached Lena and Alice, "Ladies, your baby is fine for now, but her heart isn't in the best condition. we wanna wait a few hours and see if she stables out, or if we need to go into and emergency surgery"


Alice returned to the waiting room Jess stood up, he hadn't gotten much sleep. "Well?" He asked in anticipation. Alice rubbed her face.


"Well, we don't know if she's gonna make it" Jess looked to the floor.


"How's Lena? is she holding up okay?" he asked with concern in his voice. Alice looked up and rested her hands on her hips. she took a deep breath and looked back to Jess.


"She's holding onto the last little bit of hope she has" she gave him a smile and a gentle hug. "How's Maddie doing? is she behaving?" Maddison was lying on her stomach reading a book. Alice smiled looking to her.


"Seriously, how do you guys get her to behave this well?" Jess asked a hint of jealousy in his voice. Alice chuckled and looked back to him.


"For every book she reads and write a two paragraph summary, we give her $20. if there above her reading level then we give her more." Jess laughed and rubbed his eyes. "Okay well I'm gonna get back to Lena, I just wanted to let you know what's going on" Jess nodded and she walked off.


Alice and Lena's baby didn't make it much longer. When the doctor informed Alice and Lena that their child had died on the or table Lena lost it. She burst out into immediate tears. Alice hugged her tightly trying not to cry. She couldn't help it and soon began to sob. the two women sat there for well over an hour just trying to comfort each other.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Lena, come on love" Alice called from the bottom of the stairs. "Lena Lena Lena" She called out once more. Lena appeared at the top of the stairs and began to make her way down.


"I'm comin' I'm comin'" She kissed her lovers lips softly. The two headed out the door. After a few moments of silence Lena spoke up "I can't believe its been two months already" Alice nodded and looked to her.


"I know love, but look we still have Maddie and no matter what she will always be out little princess" Alice gave her a compassionate smile. Lena nodded. "Honey thanksgiving is right around the corner, are we doing it at out house?" Alice looked trying to change the conversation.


"We'd have to bring in the big table" She sighed softly "But yes" Alice smiled and pulled out her phone. Before Alice could look back up, the car was hit. It tumbled upside down and was t boned on the drivers side.


Several hours Alice woke up in the hospital. She felt groggy and her entire body hurt. Alice was completely confused. The nurse began to speak but Alice could barley hear him. "What happened?" Alice asked, she could barley speak.


"You were in a terrible accident" then it hit her. Lena.


"Lena, where's Lena?" The nurse looked to her with a raised brow. "My fiancé, we were going to pick up our daughter. oh my god Maddie" She began to panic and the nurse hushed her.


"We called Lena's brother, Jess. He's with her right now"


"Can I see her?" Alice asked. She attempted to stand up but the pain coursing through her body was to much.


"No you can't even stand" the nurse stood at her side.


"If I can stand up you have to let me see her, you don't know what this woman means to me. She s literally everything. Her and my daughter are my world. please let me see her" Alice pleaded. Tears threatened to fall. The nurse sighed.


"If you can stand up on your own, I will help you over to your fiancé"


Alice smiled, she tried to sand up. She groaned and grabbed her side in pain. She took a deep breath and tried to breath through it. "C'mon Alice, for Lena" She took another deep breath and pulled herself to her feet. She was shaking and almost feel over. The nurse rushed to her side and helped her to balance. The nurse kept his word and lead Alice to the room with Lena.


Lena was in worse condition than she was. "Lena" Alice called out. The doctor looked up and gave a glair to the nurse.


"What is she doing in here?" The doctor asked. The nurse scoffed


"leave her alone, she need to see the love of her life." the nurse argued. The doctor gave him another glair and looked to Alice. She was holding Lena's hand looking to her face.


"she's in a comma, and she might not wake up. she was hit harder than you were." Alice began to cry and gave her hand a gentle squeeze.


"Lena you can make it through this, please Lena. I still need you. Maddie needs you, oh my god Maddie. Please Lena don't leave us"


Alice had managed to climb into the bed with Lena and she held her closely for the next few hours. Alice kissed her forehead and refused to let her go. Jess and Maddie came in for a visit, Maddie looked heartbroken and cried when she saw Alice and Lena like this. around 10:53 pm Alice was alone with Lena when the flat line sound began. Alice began to cry knowing that there was no way they could save her. Alice held the love of her life in her arms as the doctor rushed in. She forced Alice to move but it was to late. Lena was gone. Alice couldn't hold back any of it.


"Lena, don't go..." she whispered under her breath "I love you"

© 2015 Maureen


Author's Note

Maureen
If my description is a little off that's my mistake. please forgive it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on November 21, 2015
Last Updated on November 22, 2015
Tags: Lesbians, Newly weds

Author

Maureen
Maureen

Ferndale, WA



About
I'm a lesbian and a huge person for LGBT rights so most of my writing the main characters are Lesbian :3 I love the theater and love love love writing more..

Writing
Together forever Together forever

A Chapter by Maureen