My Reel Life

My Reel Life

A Story by Candle in the wind
"

Just wanted to share my adventures on stage

"

 

I have been enamored by the crystallized showcasing of human emotions, conflicts, relationships and dilemmas on stage from an early age. The ability to recreate situations from life and to depict the human interactions, thoughts and the impact of certain events on human minds, lives and actions is a special forte of a dramatist. He mirrors life on stage with heightened dramatic effect through dialogues, actions, situations and settings, unfolded in the plot of his play. However this creation of the dramatist gets shape on stage and is communicated to the audience by the actors and the show is orchestrated by the director and his crew.
My first initiation to the enormous potential of acting as an art of reaching out and communicating with the audience was as a child, amidst great fun and frolic, while preparing for the home productions starring family members and directed by my father to be staged on ‘Jagadhatri puja’  night, a big occasion for us. In fact I used to do small skits with the kids of the family as well.
 
Then during school and college days there were several intra school drama competitions, annual functions and concerts. In college (St Xavier’s’ College) we did ‘Antigone’ which was my first public stage exposure. It was a resounding success. I have been a part of several theatrical endeavors by cultural and social clubs right through doing both English and Bengali plays. In “Antigone” I played the old nurse who loves Antigone with undying devotion and yet reprimands her for playing truant and not adopting feminine graces.
 
My actual serious association with theatre was after I came in contact with Stagecraft through a friend in 1997. The first production I was involved with was “The night of January 16th”in which I was one of the witnesses in the court room drama. I had to sport a Scandinavian accent. After that there was no looking back thanks to the encouragement and support I received from my director, my fellow actors and the audience. I have been a part of several small and large productions with Stagecraft.
In Agatha Christie’s "Mouse Trap" I played Mrs. Boyle and it was an experience being the cantankerous woman who gets killed on stage. Dropping dead was not an easy task and my murderer and co actor helped to land without a thud.. We did another Agatha Christie play “Go back for Murder” but it didn’t receive rave reviews like "Mouse Trap". 
“Mangalam” was our first attempt at an English play by an Indian playwright. The play had the innovative concept of a play within a play. I played Thangam in both acts but they were two different women in two different time frames and social scenarios and yet with the same predicament. It was a very powerful role and I cherish the memories and the appreciation. In the first act I played a south Indian widow with a shaven head, a towering presence as a matriarch who discovers the truth behind her dead sister’s predicament buried in the past and has to face a macabre truth. In the 2nd act Thangam is a sophisticated socialite who has returned home after watching the play which was the first act and while sharing responses finds similar truths unraveled in her life as well.
 
Last year November we staged another big production “Harvey” where I played Veta Louise Simmons who sets out with the intention of getting her brother, Elwood P Dowd, committed in a Sanitarium as she is fed up of the six feet tall imaginary rabbit Harvey who pervades her brother’s life and thoughts and causes her and her daughter social embarrassments. At the end however she decides to discard the harshness of stark reality and live happily ever after in her brother’s illusory world along with her daughter and Harvey. We are scheduled to do more shows of “ Harvey’ which is a big hit.
 
The shorter plays comprise a number of plays by black playwrights such as "Contribution" and "Florence". These were done for the American center during the black history month celebrations. The 80 year old Mrs. Love who I played in "Contribution" certainly established my credentials as an actor. We did several shows of these in several other venues. I had adopted the tone and accent to authenticate Mrs Love and it was long before that flavour went off my speech!This woman wipes out white families using her slow poisoning and to the outside world she is the old lady who bakes and cooks and nurses and bows obediently. She has a strong streak of independence and refuses to go back to her son as a burden. She is amused at the hue and cry her grandson raises about the protest march against the cruel white governor as she has done her bit by sending him the poisoned bread in the morning and knows how he will stagger to his death and won’t be able to harm the black protesters. Her grandson stands speechless when she reveals her contribution and she moves off nonchalantly on her next “task" singing “ where he leads me I shall follow”  
Apart from these I have done one act plays by American playwrights namely "Stops along the way” which was one of an assortment of three short plays Stagecraft presented where each had a powerful interplay of human emotions. I played Donna whose affair with her young English teacher has come to an end and he is taking her back to her husband. She doesn’t want to let go refusing to accept that Larry has grown out of her. What she does at the end is something no one expects and thus manages to salvage her self esteem.
  Another one was “Come next Tuesday” which was one of a quartet of plays or rather slices of life with a twist in the end. In this I was the stubborn wife who refuses to pick up the loud hints that her husband drops to make her realize that he wants her out of his life. This play is almost a monologue by the wife with sparse reluctant responses by the exasperated husband. At the end he gets her killed. These short plays were a resounding success and we have had several shows at the American center and other venues with more coming up. We are scheduled to do play reading with these one act plays and a new addition called “Mam Phyllis” where I shall play the title role. Hopefully this is an ongoing journey with a lot more mile stones to be crossed.
 I value individual liberty and relationships and integrity. I get tremendous satisfaction out of expressing myself with clarity and reaching out to people. I value creativity and fine sensibilities in people, genuine camaraderie, laughter and deep epiphanies in life.
I hope to continue being associated with the stage and acting in the forthcoming years of my life because it will give me a scope to touch people’s lives in my little way

© 2008 Candle in the wind


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You have lead an amazing journey in your life. To be so free as to act out such emotions (though it may be the mimic of reality) It really means you must be so in touch with your inner self, so confident about who you are, you are able to explore your heart, feel and conceive the notion of so much.

It is a wonderful ability and I much admire you for it.
Your such a free spirit, please don't ever change !! =)

Love from,
Me

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I do not act but I so admire the craft. My son is an actor in NYC and I am so amazed by his talent. What a wonderful journal life has taken you on. I so enjoyed reading and learning more about you. Blessings!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very nice :)
I played Creon in Antigone .. on stage so I am a bit familiar with this kind of work... the thing i most enjoyed was the friendships I made while acting/directing over a period of 12 years. I no longer do theatre, however some day it would be wonderful to return to my first love in life. I envy you your freedom to pursue this life you have chosen :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful...How wonderfully you manage to take teh reader through your life and its varied activities....I havent seen even one of your plays, but I feel like I know exactly what your role was and how you acted out the scenes....

Brilliannt.

May God Bless You!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very interesting, indeed! I often wanted to be an actor - but chose a different path. I admire the skill and dedication to your art. Thank you for sharing this!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The overview of your theatrical life is wonderful...and having been able to see your power-packed performance on stage all i can say is that "You had been spectacular"

And the story you have put here is very well penned.....You have immense potentials, on-stage and more importantly off-stage too........

It was great reading through this....

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You are very fortunate to have the talent to act on stage and be involved with so many productions....it sounds absolutely wonderful! The applause at the end of a show that you and your fellow actors worked so hard to do well must be music to your ears. Kudos to you for pursuing your dreams, and thank you for letting us have a glimpse of this fascinating aspect of your life.

Oh, and your story was well-written, and had my attention all the way through :-)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You have a wonderful talent for telling a story. Wonderfully penned. Great job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well, I've just had an epiphany of my own...there is much more to my friend Raj than meets the eye, though that is pleasing! I'm trying to imagine you as an old nurse HA! You have played deviant parts and that is also freaky for me to imagine. I have had a bit to do with theatre and I know how much fun it can be. Your description of the slow-poisoning character is reminiscent of 'Arsenic and old Lace.' The monologue would have been quite an undertaking and the most difficult, but rewarding role of your illustrious career...what a lovely story this is, kudos Raj...
I could only see one typo; lively?/ live happily ever after.
Cheers,
Helen :-)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Not only do I love hearing about your experiences here as an actress, you really have a special talent for telling a story so wonderfully! It's great to get to know of your interests and your well rounded experience in the field. I wish you all the best with your upcoming play, "Mam Phyllis." I'm sure you will do the starring role great justice! Continue to shine as the bright star you have always been and let others see that light as well! Incredible story!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The arts of stangecraft can be some of the most rewarding and grueling tasks one may ever undertake. I commend any who have the courage to stand before the lights, with no cue cards, no retakes and the giant talent to bring foriegn emotions across for those who sit in the audience and gaze in rapture at the unfolding tale.
This brings me back to my own experiences with the stange, and the wonderful people i was able to work with and befriend along that stage of my life! I to have had The Night of January !6th as a part of my past. I was the one who set and through the magic of light onto the stange so that the actors could be seen.
A toast to The Stage! And the Magic that is within!


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

637 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 29, 2008
Last Updated on April 18, 2008

Author

Candle in the wind
Candle in the wind

Calcutta, India



About
Flickering and blazing,not yet blown out in the wind... the flame has to sustain itself when the rains set in... Beyond norms and overrated sanity " We look before and after And pine for what i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bipolar Bipolar

A Poem by justjenn_2u


Wild Vine Wild Vine

A Chapter by TL Boehm