Of Greed and Sword

Of Greed and Sword

A Story by RevengeRoman
"

King Ferrinus hires mercenaries to protect himself and his Gold from the Citizens in his Kingdom, and his enemies from abroad, but finds another very real enemy when its too late.

"

Rangers Apprentice: Book 10; The Emperor of Nihan-Ja By John Flanagan

Chapter1/Page1 and Chapter 2/Page 15



Avanti!” The command rang out over the sun-baked earth of the parade ground and the triple files of men stepped out together. Their armor glinting in seemingly random patterns, the purple crest of the Centurion standing out, King Ferrinus looking on his assembled army in glee.



They were every bit as impressive as the gold and silver he had hired them with.



The Centurion looked up at him, then back to his men, yelling a command that Ferrinus could not understand, and the entire unit halted, standing so still they could have been statues.



Prefectus Julius, the leader of the small mercenary army approached Ferrinus. “Your Majesty, these are my best men, I offer them to you as a Bodyguard.” Julius' long thin body, shifting uneasily, his eyes never meeting Ferrinus' eye's, bowing unsteadily to the pompous, rat faced King.



Ferrinus liked this man already, surely three hundred men would be enough to guard his vaults? He could use the protection anyway, with the unrest the peasants have shown as of late. “Yes, that would please me, young Julius.” Ferrinus held out his hand, Julius took it, kissing the ring bearing what must have been the Kings royal family crest.



Once this was done, Ferrinus looked at his advisers, then back to the prefect.



Gather my Bodyguard and send them to my palace throne room, distribute the rest of your men as you see fit in the city, just make sure the vault is protected.” The prefect bowed again. “I will personally lead your Bodyguard sire.” The King smiled, satisfied with the Prefects work ethic.



The King exited the viewing platform and Julius followed him, they walked through tall and long halls, winding through the palace and into an absolutely magnificent throne room. The other forty-nine men that made up his Bodyguard, and his thirteen advisers were already there. Ferrinus, sat in his throne, the poor chair humorously creaking under his weight, the sound echoing around the massive room.



Ferrinus reached over to a small table next to him, picking up a small white scroll. He chuckled with utter glee as he read its contents. “Truly Julius, what is this world without money? But a boring and distasteful existence?”



Julius shifted, and the Kings advisers all gasped, a long curved blade, protruded from the Kings chest. Julius' nervous and shrewd look turned into a cruel and cunning smile. “You know, Your Excellency, I wish I could say stuff like that.”

© 2015 RevengeRoman


Author's Note

RevengeRoman
Don't be Ferrinus, Don't be Greedy.

This is for the Blue Rose Cafe Challenge, and as mentioned above the lines are taken from my Elementary favorite; Ranger's Apprentice and the Emperor of Nihan Ja Chapter 1/Page 1 and Chapter 2/Page 15

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice, I was able to follow the story easily. And I was beginning to think that some kind of precious treasure was hidden within the vault, it was just simply money. Eventhough he got 49 bodyguards with him, he was still killed by the guy he trusted so much.

Posted 9 Years Ago


RevengeRoman

9 Years Ago

Amazing, the greed of human kind, huh? It was suppose to convey the worst of man, greed, and what so.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 26, 2015
Last Updated on March 30, 2015
Tags: Fiction, Fantasy