~ sweet, youthful years (in Houston ghettos)

~ sweet, youthful years (in Houston ghettos)

A Poem by Richard🖌
"

Quatrains in 8-count, except for the penultimate line, which is 9.

"



~ sweet, youthful years


When we were children growing-up,

no puddle ever went un-stomped,

no stray was left without a home,

and morn' till dark we laughed 'n romped.


Lightnin' bugs blink soft in a jar,

butterflies pinned neat to a board;

held on by a clothespin, each cape ...

across skies, like Superman, soared.


No tree worth its climbing unclimbed,

from hick'ry twigs slingshots were made,

stung hard, Chinaberries, just right;

such memories never will fade.


Cardboard stands, nickel lemonade,

yards were cut for merely a buck.

Lost bottles were quickly redeemed,

Saturday morn movies, potluck!


Missing chain-guards, fenderless bikes

with handlebars turned upside-down.

Right pant's leg rolled-up, playing cards

on spokes, played a motorbike sound.


Keds for kids and patches on jeans,

sandlot football was the best game ...

played 'til we dropped, sleeping like logs,

ne'er again will times be the same.


When we were children, growing-up

we would say, "Yes, Ma'am and yes, Sir!"

got quiet when we were told to,

and dared not sass back, that's for sure.


Dad worked all day, Mom stayed at home,

made cookies, and kissed 'way our pain.

Doors never were locked, nor the cars;

if I could, I'd live it again.


Come on, you kids, shut down the screens;

they'll wait ... not so, innocent cares.

Enjoy being a child (while you can),

wasting no more ~ sweet, youthful years.



Richard W. Jenkins

©2016

© 2017 Richard🖌


Author's Note

Richard🖌
"Our Gang!"
Thank you sincerely for reading this poem of my youth.

All critique and constructive suggestions are welcome! : )

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yes, kids today have a completely different childhood experience than we had. This poem was a wonderful trip down Memory Lane, and what a great photo that is up there! Is that you, in the middle? By the way, I've never been to Houston but I've heard great things.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Karen,
How our youth sticks to us (eh), all the freedom and mischief we enjoyed in those swee.. read more



Reviews

Yes, kids today have a completely different childhood experience than we had. This poem was a wonderful trip down Memory Lane, and what a great photo that is up there! Is that you, in the middle? By the way, I've never been to Houston but I've heard great things.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Karen,
How our youth sticks to us (eh), all the freedom and mischief we enjoyed in those swee.. read more
Awe...honey...am all warm fuzzy in tummy. This made me want to take my yearly venture into Harper Lees world and live again my precocious young self vicariously through Scout and remember unique and unforgetable friends like Dill....To be comforted by Atticus's gentle force...to read King bring a journey of eclectic scamp buddies morbid curiousity to life....singing songs of my youth...and tear off the rear end of a poor ol firefly and wear his glimmer a*s as a rare gem on my finger...(ooh that smell) and to go barefoot until indian summer fades to ineviteble chill.

My goodness! What a wonderful read....most charming and pricelessly familiar....thank you Sir Richard ...for the thoughts i will now enterain a while...a kiss darlin. 🌹

Posted 8 Years Ago


Sweet innocence of our youth. You capture the wonder years in a great way. I enjoyed this.

I have a similar story which you might find recognizeable : Lovesick.

Regards, Philip

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ah! Dear Childhood. Maturity comes at a cost- and that is our childhood, which leaves us numerous happy memories which we can plunge into while flipping through the pages of our life. As children, we do not have any worries. We are naive and tend to enjoy each moment to the best. We laugh at small things, run around in the streets, jump in the puddles, play pranks- simply, we enjoy our lives. I like the rhyming and the vivid imagery that has been presented. This poem reminds me of this Hindi ghazal "Woh kaagaz ki qashti" (English- that paper boat). In this one too, childhood memories are thought over and are described beautifully. Though your poem is quite different from it.
A very good piece to read. I enjoyed the work throughout. Keep writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Richard
So beautifully you captured so many elements of my own childhood.
Oh the fun we had, to many to remember, so hard to forget even half.
Like you, I often wonder why we wanted to rush so quickly to adulthood.
Thank you for the reminder.
Dave

Posted 8 Years Ago


I just love this, Richard. Your memories, the picture, your wisdom all come together to remind me of times long gone. When we speak of them now, I suppose the younger generations feel as we did about hearing grandparents stories of party lines, milk wagons, alleys, and on and on. Time has moved on, and I wonder what they will tell their children of that will seem so long ago.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Beautiful! What a nostalgic poem. Although I'm of the Y generation I found it very relatable and whimsical. I particularly liked the last few lines they hit home for me. I've only recently begun writing so I can't give any technical critique but I really loved it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Thank you, LS, for your praise and enjoyment of this poem … you've both rewarded and make me very .. read more
I would also just like to add one more thing I like about your poem: you've expressed the decline in manners and trust over the years exceptionally well ('we would say, Yes, ma'am and yes, sir' and 'doors never locked, nor the cars' subtly bring to attention the stress in security these days and the lack of manners - this is only enforced by the line 'if I could, I'd live it again')...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Simply superb, Richard. You've picked (and described remarkably well) some very cherish-able memories of your youth - memories that we can relate to some of our own. Your use of cards in the spokes of your bike, for example, to make a motorbike sound, is something myself and my friends did when we were young, racing around the block (though we generally used coke cans placed atop the wheel touching the metal frame of the bike. Your last stanza is a great connection between your youth and modern childhoods - I'm afraid that many modern kids are too wrapped up in their Xbox's and Mobiles to go outside and play games such as football and tig. Above all, I love the fact that in your title, you've mentioned the ghettos, and yet in the poem, all you talk about are the happy times you had - it's a really effective statement, saying that your lives can be filled with laughter and smiles even if you don't have much money (in this day and age, many people see money as the only way to enjoy life, which is a true shame).
The only thing I can think to mention is that I think your 8th line is 9 syllables, not 8 (though I could be mistaken), but apart from that, there is nothing I can criticize Richard.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Even tho the reading isn't as smooth as the few poems of yours I've read so far, the message is far more memorable & endearing. You've managed to amass quite a collection of very specific memories here, stated with such details, anyone from "our era" would have to relate strongly & be filled with longing for those sweet youthful years. In your description of life in the ghettos, I notice there's nothing to suggest that anyone realized they were poor, which is exactly how it was for me growing up, too. We were so rich in imagination & energy & playfulness, never bombarded with media letting us know all the things we might've been lacking. Your word snapshot shows us this specialness of growing up when we did. I feel sorry for today's kids.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

barleygirl

8 Years Ago

It just occurred to me, I don't even know if you have any kids or grandkids?!??! I myself have never.. read more
Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Margie,
Personal stuff, I'll share in a message.
Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

To be honest, Margie,
This is a bit of a wishful fantasy … especially, about Mom staying ho.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 23, 2016
Last Updated on August 15, 2017

Author

Richard🖌
Richard🖌

Houston, TX



About
~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~·&.. more..

Writing
Pic Pic

A Poem by Richard🖌



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lucy Lucy

A Story by Samuel Dickens